FORDS, FERRIES AND BRIDGES
Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Member
Discoveries
 
Results 1 to 3 of 3
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Gypsy Heart

Thread: FORDS, FERRIES AND BRIDGES

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
  1. #1
    hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

    Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    12,686
    287 times

    FORDS, FERRIES AND BRIDGES

    Atchison Steam Ferry 1857 on Missouri River, W. L. Challiss & Co., Prop. (KHQ v. 2, p.118)

    Baker's Ford, S. Fork of Big Nemaha River on St. Joseph & California Road. Geo. H. Baker was a registered voter Mar. 4, 1855. Several abortive attempts were made to establish a town in the vicinity, including Moorestown, 1854--the first voting precinct in Nemaha Co., founded by W. W. Moore; Urbana, a post office in 1855; Farmington, platted 1 m. southwest, and Central City, located 2 m. southeast on Deer Creek, a post office 1858- 63. Taylor Rapids, platted on the east? side of the river in the 1880's (by J.E. Taylor?) was a post office in 1885-90. (Barry p.1224) Rut swales still exist on the Albert Rottinghaus farm near the spring at the Farmington townsite. (Seneca Courier-Tribune, 15 July 1993)

    Baldwin's Ferry, 1855-72, on Kansas River at Lawrence. John Baldwin, Prop. Lawrence P.O.1855, Carmi Babcock, postmaster. (KHQ v.2 p.279; KPO p.72 & 178)

    Banks' Ferry 1844-6?, on Missouri River at Iowa Point (orig. Jeffrey's Point), MO, opposite future Iowa Point, KT. William Banks, Prop. Andrew J. Hendren of Iowa Point, KT, was a partner with Banks in 1855-63. Barry, quoting The Hist. of Holt & Atchison Co., MO, 1882, gives the location as SW 1/4 S15 T59S R38W, Platte Purchase Survey; however, this must be an error, as this location is on the east side of the flood plain, and the survey shows the river channel to have been on the Kansas side. William Banks had been a deck hand on the American Fur Co. Yellowstone" in 1832. The first use of the ferry was Sept. 18, 1844, when Maj. Clifton Wharton's 1st Dragoons returned from an expedition to the Pawnee villages. Mr. Banks built a stone house in 1848 at the east edge of the Missouri River flood plain; ruins still exist. (Gray II-146; IDC p.99; Barry p.212 & 577)

    Bartlett's Ferry 1857-67 on Smoky Hill River. Capt. Samuel Bartlett, Prop. Near mouth of river, northeast of Junction City. (KHQ v.4 p.7-9)

    Bayne's Bridge 1873 at Wolf River, south of Highland. W. J. Bayne, Prop. Bridge erected by Doniphan County. This crossing served Ft. Leav. and the Great Nemaha Subagency in 1842, and may also have been used by emigrants from St. Joseph and Atchison. It was part of the Elwood & Marysville Territorial Road of 1859. Tradition says that a Mrs. Comstock, wife of an emigrant (?), was the first burial in Wolf River Cemetery c1842. A post office called Walnut Grove was established nearby in 1856-70, Grandison R. Wilson, postmaster. (Bird p.38; Gray II-91 & IDC p.142)

    Beatty's Ferry 1856-59 on Independence Creek about 2 m. above jct. with Deer Creek. A toll bridge was constructed by the Kansas Express Stage Co. c1860. Joseph B. Beatty, Prop. (KHQ v.6 p.144-45)

    Beaubien & Ogee Ferry 1849-53 on Kansas River at mouth of Cross Creek. Chas. Beaubien and Lewis Ogee, Props. (KHQ v.6 p.144-45)

    Big John Spring: Campsite on S.F. Trail east of Council Grove, KT, S18 T16S R9E. Named for Big John" Walker, a member of Sibley survey party of 1825 (Stocking p.90).

    Blackjack Spring: Campsite on Ft. Leav./Ft. Riley Military Road at St. George, KT. USGS St. George Quad.

    Black Vermillion Crossing of Oregon Trail 1841? James H. Marshall's grave 1844; Louis Tremble corduroy toll bridge and blacksmith c1850-56. In 1860, "W.T.E." reported that the keeper of the Big Vermillion toll bridge tallied an average of 75 trains per day, mostly ox teams. (Mattes, p.518-19)

    Blanton's Bridge 1855 at Oregon & Calif. road crossing of Wakarusa River south of Lawrence. Napoleon Blanton, Prop. Toll bridge authorized by 1855 Territorial Legislature. Post office est. 1855-56, Napoleon Blanton, postmaster. This crossing is shown of the 1846 T. H. Jefferson map. (BLM Plats; KHQ v.6 p.19; OCTA Journal v.8, p.8)

    Bluejacket's Crossing on Wakarusa River c1855. George Bluejacket, Prop. Settlement was incorporated as "Sebastian", and consisted of a hotel run by Chas. (or George?) Bluejacket, who also operated a ferry, and a store operated by William "Dutch Bill" Greiffenstein. Geo. Bluejacket was an incorporator of Sebastian. William C. Quantrill crossed here in 1863 to attack Lawrence. (KHQ v.6 p.17-19; OCTA Journal v.8, p.8)

    Bond's Landing 1846. 15 m. above St. Joseph on Missouri River at mouth of Dillon's Creek; former Jamestown Landing? (Barry p. 578)

    Bonifield & Roberts Ferry 1852 on Missouri River at Boston (formerly Nodaway City), present Amazonia. Peter S. Roberts, Prop. Road on Kansas side was called "Boston Ferry Road" during Territorial period. (Barry p.1071)

    Boston Ferry 1851 on Missouri River at present Amazonia. Perhaps named for Boston family; Mrs. Alvira Boston and her son? John lived on the Kansas side in 1868. (S&V p.102 )

    Bonton Ferry 1849 on Missouri River 6 m. above St. Joseph. A town named Fairview was platted in 1857 at the landing on the Kansas side. (Barry p.863 -75; Lewin p.11)

    Bourbonnais Toll Bridge on Bourbonnais Creek 2 m.east of St. Mary's Mission. Peter Bourbonnais (a Pottawatomie mix-blood) was Prop. (Barry p. 802)

    Bryan's Bridge 1858 on Madison Creek, Ft. Riley & Ft. Kearny road. Lt. Francis Bryan contracted to build 10 bridges on small creeks north of Ft. Riley. Contract awarded to Alfred Hebard for $12,500. The creeks identified were Madison, Miry, Middleton, Loup, Parsons, Uphill, Rocky Fork, Crooked Creek, Goodale's Branch & Bryan's Fork. (KHC v. p.50)

    Buckner Creek Crossing of Ft. Hays/Ft. Dodge Military Road. Buckner P.O. 1880-91, Arthur Dickinson, postmaster. Buckner Creek was named for Simon B. Buckner c1855, who later became a Confederate general. Coincidentally, the ranch at the crossing was owned by a man named Buckner. (KPO p.18 & 190)

    Bull Creek Crossing of Oregon Trail c1840; Jim? Rogers, Shawnee Indian, Prop. Farmed; provided meals & lodgings to travelers. (Reid p.36)

    Bundy's Ferry 1859, Marais des Cygnes River, 1 m south of Stanton. Josiah Bundy, Prop. (KHQ v.6 p.135)

    Cameron Ferry 1857 on Kansas River E 1/2 S14 T12S R19E. Hugh Cameron, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.291)

    Caples' Landing 1846 at present Amazonia, MO. Charles and William Caples, Prop. They platted a village named Nodaway City in 1849. (Barry p.578, 677 & 1071)

    Cedar Creek bridge 1865 on White Cloud & Highland Road at Hewlett's Crossing (White Cloud "Chief". Dec. 1865)

    Chapman's Creek Bridge 1859 on Smoky Hill Road near mouth of Chapman's Creek. Erected by U.S. gov't. (KHQ v.4 p.19)

    (Prairie) Chicken Creek Crossing on Santa Fe Trail. Two fords, S22 & S27. Waushara post office est. 1 m. east 1858-95, Minor Palmer, postmaster. (KPO p.202)

    Chouteau's Ferry c1840 on Kansas River S13 T11S R24E; Frederick? Chouteau, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.262)

    Clear Fork (of Black Vermillion) Crossing 1857. E.F. Jones, Prop. Perhaps an alternate route for the Parallel Road, 1859? Cabin still standing 1956. LaGrange post office est. 1875-1901; Jones was lst postmaster. (KHQ v.23 p.154)

    Cook's Ferry 1859 on Kansas River between S34 & 35 T11S R23E. W. W. Cook, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.269)

    Cook's Ford 1865 at Rock Creek crossing of Mt. Florence & Grasshopper Falls Road? Cooks Ford P.O.1865-72, Henry Turner, postmaster. Butterfield Overland Despatch stage route? (KPO p.29 &192)

    Coon Hollow Crossing 1844?, St. Joseph & Calif. Rd., rock bottom ford; rut swale on east side. Probably earliest emigrant trail from Mosquito Creek to top of Wolf River Ridge. (OCTA Gateway Chapter Newsletter, Spring 1993)

    (North) Cottonwood River crossing on Santa Fe Trail at present Durham. A hotel (stage station?) was noted on the BLM Surveys c1860. (Simmons p. 89)

    Cross Creek Toll Bridge 1852 on Oregon/Calif. Trail at Rossville. ______ Lorton? Prop. Cross Creek P.O. 1864-68, first located in Pott., then Jackson county. (Barry p.110 & 1157)

    Curtis' Ferry 1858 on Big Blue River north of Manhattan, at mouth of McIntyre's Creek. Zach Curtis, Prop. Unadilla post office est. 1858-62, Edward Newell, postmaster. (KHQ v.3 p.129)

    Darling's Ferry 1850 on Kansas River S15 T11S R13E. Lucius Darling,Prop., but John L. Ogee was operator. Known as "Pottawatomie National Ferry," it was funded by the Federal government, from treaty funds. (Barry p.795, 952, etc. KHQ v.3 p.20)

    Davis' Crossing of Buffalo Creek 1869 on Parallel Road at present Jewell City, A.J. Davis, Prop. Jewell P.O.1870, John Hoffer, postmaster.(Waconda Land, p.57 & 65)

    Dawson's Ford c1851 on Stranger Creek at present Easton on Ft. Leav. & Ft. Riley Road. Armistead Dawson, Prop., who was 1st postmaster at Easton. Mr. Dawson freighted supplies for U.S. Army to Ft. Laramie in 1851, and Ft. Union in 1854. (Barry p.981 & 1104)

    Delaware Ferry 1855 on Missouri River at Delaware City. John Van Vranklin, Prop. Delaware City was the 2nd county seat of Leavenworth County & was a P.O.1856-78, William F. Sprague, postmaster. (KHQ v.2 p.14; KPO p.197)

    Devil's Elbow Crossing of Elbo Creek on Ft. Leav. & Ft. Riley Road east of Manhattan. Martha (Mails) Coons said the name was applied by Army teamsters to describe the sharp turn in the road which was difficult for 4 and 6 mule government teams to negotiate. Elbo Creek was originally called "Sargent's Creek." Martha's father, John Mails, settled on the Kansas River east of Manhattan, noted as "Mail's Field" on BLM Surveys. (LCD p.64)

    Duncan's Crossing of Pawnee Fork on the Ft. Hays & Ft. Dodge Military Road. John O'Laughlin operated a ranch here c1868, selling to Geo. Duncan in 1871. Duncan built a large log house and log stockade with a corduroy bridge. Hodgeman P.O. 1875-1913, Geo. Duncan, postmaster. (KHQ v. p.276-77 & KPO p.60 & 190)

    Duncan's Ferry 1849 on Missouri River 4 m. above St. Joseph on the St. Joseph & Calif. road, . In 1850 John Duncan, Aaron & Wm Lewis advertised a horse ferry at this location. "Dunkan" drowned in a ferry boat accident in May 1849 , according to Henry Austin; two ferrymen also drowned at this location in 1853. (Barry p.829, 863, 875, 907 & 1085)

    Dutch Henry's Crossing c1849 on Pottawatomie Creek at present Lane, KT. Henry Sherman, Prop. Shermansville P.O.1855-63, Allen Wilkinson, postmaster. (Barry p.322, 336-7 & 832)

    Dyer's Crossing 1853 on Big Blue River at Juniata on Ft. Leav. & Ft. Riley Military Road. Samuel D. Dyer, Prop. Ferry operated by a man named "Garland" in 1853. Bridge constructed 1854-55 and destroyed by ice in Feb. 1856. Stone masonry bridge abutments and pier still exist. Dyer operated a store and "free hotel." Juniata was a P.O. 1855-56, Seth J. Childs, postmaster. Tauromee P.O.1856-58 located on west side of Big Blue, Marshall A. "Marsh" Garrett, postmaster. (Barry p.1183-4; KHC v.17 p.461; KHQ v.3 p.120 & v..21 p.87-8; LCD p.24-26)

    Ellis' Ferry 1839 on Missouri River 3-1/2 m. above Weston, opposite Kickapoo. Isaac M. C. Ellis, Prop. (Barry p.365 & 408; KHQ v.2 p.25)

    Elizabethtown 1845 on Missouri River about 1 m. north of present Amazonia, MO. A store and warehouse were operated by (E.H.) Perry & Young c1850. (Barry, p. 578-79)

    Elm Grove or Round Grove Campground 1835. See also Lone Elm Campground. George Sibley called it Caravan Grove in 1827. It is at the Cedar Creek crossing of the S.F. Trail from Westport about 1 m. west of intersection of US56 & K7, southwest of Olathe. A DAR marker is at the site. A Shawnee Indian named John Ham provided meals and shelter to travelers in 1855. (()verland Journal v.11, p.24-31; KHC v.6 p.468)

    Errick's Ferry 1860 on Kansas River at Manhattan. John Errick, Prop. In 1857 the ferry at this location was supplied by bringing the Pittsburg Ferry boat downstream to the mouth of the Big Blue River. By 1864, James? Woodward was the owner, and made substantial improvements, including landing ramps on each bank. (KHQ v.3 p.29; LCD p.61)

    Eureka Ferry c1856 on Kansas River, SE 1/4 S 18 T11S R25E. Aaron W. Merrill & Abelard Guthrie, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.259)

    Fish's Ferry 1845 on Kansas River at present Eudora. Pascal Fish, Prop. Units of Col. Stephen W. Kearny's Army of the West crossed here in 1846. Eudora P.O.1857, Frederick Metzeke, postmaster. (KHQ v.2 p.276; Barry p.558, 585, etc.)

    Fitzhugh's Grove Campground 1843. Located on Indian Creek 2-1/2 m. north of Little Santa Fe, just east of the Missouri State line. George & John Fitzhugh constructed a mill and mill dam in 1832. A walnut grove west of the mill was the rendezvous for Peter Burnett's Great Migration" of 1843. (Overland Journal, v.9, No. 4, p.2-14)

    Flag Spring: Campsite on S.F. Trail, S36 T14S R16E. (Franzwa, Images of S.F. Trail, p.29)

    Fleming & Howard's Steam Ferry 1860's on Missouri River at Elwood. L.V. Fleming & _______Howard, Prop. (S&V p.118)

    Forman's Ferry 1855 on Missouri River at Iowa Point, KT. John S. Pemberton & Harvey Forman, Prop. Iowa Point P.O.1855-1933, John Pemberton, postmaster. (KHQ v.2 p.134-5)

    Ft. Leavenworth Ferry 1828 on Missouri River. Robert Cain, Prop. in 1836, (KHQ v.2 p.23)

    Ft. Riley Ferry 1856 on Kansas River S27 T11S R7E. L. B. Perry, Prop. (KHQ v.3 p.40)

    Fuller's Crossing of Straight Creek 1856 on Lane's Trail 3.5 m. south of present Netawaka, Dr. _______ Fuller, Prop. S11 T5S R15E. Station on Underground Railroad 1857; site of Battle of the Spurs" Jan. 1859 between John Brown and Pro-slavery forces. Brown was escorting approx. 40 slaves to freedom. (KHC v.13, p.270)

    Fuller's Ranch 1855 at Running Turkey Creek crossing of S.F. Trail. (Simmons p.91)

    Green Lamb's Crossing c1857 on Smoky Hill River 8 m west of Junction City. Green Lamb, Prop. (KHQ v.4 p.19)

    Grinter's Ferry 1831 on Kansas river, Ft. Leav. & Ft. Gibson (Ft. Scott) Military Road. Moses R. Grinter, Prop.. "Delaware National Ferry" also known as Delaware Crossing, Secondine Crossing, etc. Grinter's 2 story brick house, built in late 1850s is maintained by Kansas State Hist. Society. (Barry p.181-2; KHQ v. p.264-5)

    Gum Spring Campground 1847 6 m. west of Westport, east line of S11 T12S R24E; present Shawnee, Johnson County, KS. 1st county seat of Johnson Co. (Barry p. 691)

    Harris' Ferry 1860 on Kansas River at west line S2 T12S R19E. John Harris, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.292)

    Hooper's Ford 1855 on Wolf River south of Highland. Parker (or Peter?) A. Hooper, Prop. A deserted Sac & Fox village was used by pioneer settlers for voting & community uses. Bartlett's grist mill was est. at nearby Wolf River Falls but washed out after about five years. (Gray I-40 & II-136; IDC p.142)

    Iatan Ferry 1855-61 on Missouri River at Iatan (formerly Daugherty's Landing), Nimrod Farley, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.27)

    Independence Crossing of Big Blue River. Alcove Spring discovered & named by Edwin Bryant in 1846; name engraved on stone by George McKinstry. Graves of Sarah Keyes, 1846, and John Fuller, 1849. BLM Survey shows trail reaching river 1/2 m. north of Alcove Spring Creek. Some historians assert that the trail came down Alcove Spring Creek to the river, but no conclusive evidence supports this. Ray Ellenbecker, Marysville, KS, an authority on local history, believes the 1840 emigrants reached the river by the "Canyon Road" which still exists about one mile south of Alcove Spring Creek in Sec. 5 & 6, T4S R7E. Their probable campsite was the SW 1/4 S31 T3S R7E between the bluffs and the river. Edwin Bryant mentions a severe storm the night of May 26-27, 1846: "But for the protection against the violence of the wind, afforded by the bluffs on one side and the timber on the other, our tents would have been swept away by the storm." Bryant discovered the spring "about three quarters mile from camp", and he reported that Mrs. Keyes was buried "under an oak tree on the right hand side of the trail." In the 1930s William E. Smith and Irene Paden recorded a grave which they believed to be that of Sarah Keyes. The gravestone had no inscription, but was beneath a second growth oak tree. Mr. Smith said it was on a hillside north of Alcove Spring Creek. Both Virginia Reed and Edwin Bryant report that Mrs. Keyes' gravestone was engraved with her name, age and dates. (Virginia Reed adds: "Born in Virginia"). A stone engraved Mrs. Sarah Keyes, Died May 29, 1846. Aged 70" was returned to the Marysville Advocate" July 1994 by an unidentified person. When Tuttle Creek Reservoir recently forced relocation of the River Road, two emigrant graves were unearthed and re-buried in this area. The Big Blue crossing was below (south) of the mouth of Alcove Spring Creek. Old road swales lead up the creek, and north, parallel to the river. Swales along the river may be part of the Marysville & Manhattan road of the pioneer era. "J.F.R. 26 May 1846" was carved in stone by James Frazier Reed, who also carved his initials in 4 in. high letters on the lip of the falls. (Barry p.585, 747 & 847; Bryant, p.61-65 & Folio, v.5, No. 1)

    Indian Creek Campground. This emigrant staging area extended several miles from the Missouri State line in a southwest direction and included Indian Creek and its several branches. West of Little Santa Fe the trail from Independence parallels Tomahawk Creek, a southern branch of Indian Creek, to the divide east of Lone Elm Campground. (Overland Journal, v.9, No. 4, p.6-7)

    Irish Creek (S. Fork of Black Vermillion) Crossing of Parallel Road 1859. Probably Gilliam Co. campsite, June 4, 1844. Wyoming P.O.1862-1901, James Kelley, postmaster.

    James' Crossing 1862 on Soldier Creek, Jackson Co., KS. John James, Prop. & postmaster. On post road from Atchison to Louisville in 1864. Post office est. 1862-86. (KHC v.12 p.480; KPO p.191)

    Jamestown Ferry 1841 at Jamestown Landing on Missouri River about 7.5 m. above St. Joseph near mouth of Dillon Creek. (Lewin p. 11)

    Kelley's Ferry 1850's on Missouri River at northwest corner of Burr Oak Twp., Doniphan Co., KT. (KHQ v.2 p.134)

    Kunkel's Ferry 1857 on Kansas River between Lecompton and Rising Sun. Jerome Kunkel, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.344)

    Kuykendall's Ferry on Kansas River at Calhoun. James Kuykendall, Prop. South landing in S23 T11S R16E. Calhoun was the first county seat of Jackson Co. (KHQ v.2 p.358; Barry p.1183)

    Kuykendall's Ferry 1853 on Missouri River at Parkville, MO. James? Kuykendall, Prop. (Barry p.1183-4)

    Landis' Ferry 1856 on Missouri River at Doniphan. John Landis, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.121; IDC p.316)

    Leavenworth Ferry 1855 on Missouri River at Leavenworth City. Thos. C. Shoemaker, Jarret Todd & Samuel D. Pitcher, Props. (KHQ v.2 p.19-20)

    Lewis' Ferry 1854 on Missouri River at Lewis' Point; Capt. Calvin Lewis, Prop. Port William P.O. 1856, James Bradley, postmaster. (Barry p.1198; KHQ v.2 p.27)

    Lexington 1856 on Lane's Trail 3 m. southeast of present Sabetha, northeast corner of S21 T2S R15E. (KHC v.13, map)

    Little Grasshopper Creek Bridge, c1850, S28 T5S R18E, Ft. Leavenworth & Ft. Laramie road. A farmer named Howell lived at this crossing in 1860, 6 m. from Kennekuk. (KHQ v,5, p.324 & Colo. Magazine v.27, p.49)

    Lone Elm Campground 1825 at head of Cedar Creek on S.F. Trail from Independence. This campground has long been confused with Elm Grove Campground at crossing of Cedar Creek about 2-1/2 m. northwest. Lone Elm is near the intersection of 167th & Lone Elm Road. A DAR marker is at the site. Oliver Trowbridge and Wm. Millen, Pioneer Line passengers died of cholera May 17, 1849 2 m. east of Lone Elm according to Bernard Reid. (Overland Journal, v.11, p.24-31)

    Lost Creek Toll Road 1855; corduroy road, about 4 m. east of Red Vermillion crossing of Oregon Trail. In 1844 James Clyman and Nathaniel Ford pioneered a new trail up Lost Creek to cross the Red Vermillion near present Laclede, and rejoin the original trail at Rock Creek (Westmoreland). (KHC v.27 p.487)

    Lower Robidoux Crossing of Robidoux (Vermillion) Creek, south of Beattie, KS. The following names are carved on rocks on the west bank: Michel Robidoux, James Bridger, C.F. Smith, J. S. Jones, J. Frey & L. Row. Life Cemetery is on west side of creek. (KHQ v.18 p.159-63)

    Marshall's Ferry 1852 on Big Blue River at present Marysville. Francis J. "Frank" Marshall, Prop. Tradition says that Marshall also operated a ferry at Independence Crossing during the summers of 1849-51, returning to Missouri during the winter. Marysville P.O.1854, Frank Marshall, postmaster. (KHQ v.3 p.137-41)

    Martin's Ferry 1828 on Platte River at Martinsburg (present Platte City), Zadoc Martin, Prop. On the Ft. Leav. & Barry Military Road opened in 1828. (Barry p.149)

    Maxwell Spring: Emigrant campsite on Ft. Leav./Ft. Laramie Military Road east of Seneca. S35 T25S R12E. William L. Maxwell purchased this land c1890. USGS Seneca Quad. (Corning Gazette, 25 Aug.,1898)

    May Day Spring: Emigrant campsite on Mormon Road at crossing of Fancy Creek. May Day P.O. 1871-1954. S6 T7S R5E. USGS Lasita Quad.

    Million's Ferry 1850 on Missouri River at present Atchison, KT. George M. Million, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.117)

    Moore's Toll Bridge 1854-55, S. Fork of Nemaha River at Moorestown (future Baker's Ford). W. W. Moore & Walter D. Beeles, Props. Moore felled a large tree at the ford in order to force emigrants to use their bridge; however, high water carried the tree downstream and destroyed the bridge. (Barry p.1224)

    Mormon Spring: Emigrant campsite 2-1/2 m. south of Washington, KS at Ash Creek crossing of Mormon Road. S23 T3S R3E. USGS Washington Quad.

    Mosquito Creek Crossing on St. Joseph & Calif.Road, S31 T2S R21E, Emerson Van B. Ro(d)gers claim in 1854, purchased by Daniel Graves in 1856. (IDC p.344)

    Moss Spring: Emigrant campsite on Mormon Road at head of Humboldt Creek, NW 1/4 S28 T13S R8E. Moss Spring P.O. 1872-95. USGS White City NE Quad.

    Mud Creek crossing of Santa Fe Trail 10 m. west of Lost Springs at present Tampa. (Winship 1854)

    Nevada City Ferry 1858 on Kansas River, SE1/4 T12S R21E. J. McGhee, operator. Nevada was a P.O. 1855-57. (KHQ v.2 p.277-78)

    Newport Ferry 1859 on Kansas River; Newport Town Co., Prop. E1/2 S3 T13S R3E. Newport was 1st county seat of Dickinson County. (KHQ v.4 P.19 & Andreas p.685)

    O'Brien Ferry 1861-62 on Missouri River at Belmont. (Gray II-94)

    Oketo Ferry 1859-67 on Big Blue River; Poor, Whitehead & Co., Prop., 1/2 m. south of present Oketo. Licensees were Henry W. Poor; Val. C. Poor & Robert M. Smith. Whitehead was an employee of Ben Holladay. S14 T1S R7E. (KHQ v.3 p.142-44)

    One Hundred Ten Crossing of Santa Fe Trail. McGee-Harris Stage Station 1854, Fry McGee, Prop. Town of Richardson platted 1854, a post office 1855-74, Fry McGee, postmaster. (Barry p.596, 835, etc. KPO p.108 & 213)

    One Hundred Forty-two Crossing of Santa Fe Trail. Charles H. Withington had a store 1856; Allen post office est. 1/2 m. northeast, 1855-56, Chas. Withington, postmaster. About 1 m. of original trail still in use. (Barry p.713; KPO p.201)

    Palermo Ferry 1855 on Missouri River; various proprietors-- local use only (KHQ v.2 p.121-22)

    Papin's Ferry 1842 on Kansas River at present Topeka. Joseph Papin, Prop. (Barry p.474, etc., KHQ v.2 p.363-76)

    Papin's Toll Bridge 1847? on Shunganunga Creek S32 T11S R16E. Joseph Papin, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.365)

    Parrott's Ferry 1846, Evan Parrott, Prop. Four miles above St. Joseph on Missouri River. (Future "Wathena Landing") (Barry p.572)

    Pawnee Ferry 1855, Fox B. Booth, Prop. On Kansas River between Pawnee & Riley City. Riley City P.O.1856-62, Fox Booth, postmaster. Pawnee P.O. 1855, Robert Wilson, postmaster. Pawnee was 1st county seat of Riley County. (KHQ v.3 P.39; KPO p.184)

    Pillsbury Crossing of Deep Creek on Manhattan & Wabaunsee Road; Josiah Pillsbury, Prop. Deep Creek was settled in 1854 by a colony from New England which included Horace A. W. Tabor. Tabor later moved to Colorado and made a fortune in silver. (LCD p.51)

    Pittsburg Ferry c1857 on Big Blue River opposite Manhattan, KT. Ownership unknown, as no license was obtained. Amos Powers, operator, said he was employed by Henry Laffer (Leffer?). Two story stone house, still standing, was probably the Pikes Peak Express stage station in 1859. (KHQ v.3 p.119; LCD p.37-38)

    Plymouth 1856 on Lane's Trail southeast corner S15 T13 R15E, on Pony Creek 6 m. northeast of present Sabetha. James Redpath and 300 free state settlers joined Preston B. Plumb and approx. 30 men at this point in Sept. 1856. (KHC v.13, p.273)

    Prairie Springs: Emigrant campsite at head of Roy's Creek on St. Joseph & Calif. road. Ununda P.O. 1864-71. Spring still exists in SE corner of NE1/4 S19 T2S R18E. USGS Robinson Quad.

    Red Bridge Campground c1830, center of S4 T47N R33W at crossing of Blue River of Missouri, about 2 m. n.e. of Little Santa Fe.

    Red Vermillion Crossing of Oregon Trail. Toll bridge 1853, Chas. Dean, Prop; Louis Vieux became owner c1857. Both Dean and Vieux were Pottawatomie mix-bloods. Vieux and his two wives are bur. in a cemetery east of the crossing. An unknown number, possibly 40 emigrants, including T.S. Prather are buried on the east bank, near the crossing. Rachel (Vieux) Thurber (liv. 1928) was about 10 yrs. old when she moved with her parents to the crossing. She remembered the covered wagons and stage coaches which passed their home. COC&PP Express; 1859, Kansas Stage Co., 1860, and Butterfield Overland Despatch, 1865, changed teams at their farm. She also witnessed the first train to reach the Red Vermillion in 1866. (U.P. Eastern Div.) (Barry p.845; KHC v.27, p454-57 & Overland Journal v.9 No.3, p.26-32)

    Republican River Military Bridge c1856, west edge of Ft. Riley near junction of Republican and Smoky Hill Forks of Kansas River. Constructed by U.S. Army Engineers.

    Rialto Ferry 1844-65 on Missouri River between Rialto & Ft. Leav. John B. Wells, Prop. (Barry p.785 & 1205; KHQ v.2 p.23-4)

    Riddle Ferry 1856-57 on Grasshopper (Delaware) River at Ozawkie, Ft. Leav. & Ft. Riley Road. Jefferson Riddle, Prop. (KHQ v.5 p.322)

    Ritchel Crossing of Pottawatomie Creek, southwest of Lane, KS. (Barry p.416-7)

    Robidoux Ferry 1839 on Missouri River at Robidoux Landing. Julius Robidoux, Prop. (Barry p.369 & KHQ v.2 p.124)

    Rock Creek Crossing of Ft. Leav./Ft. Riley Military Road at Louisville, KT. Robert Wilson operated a tavern and grist mill at the crossing; stone mill dam still exists. Rock bottom ford immediately below dam; also, original cut-downs. Louisville P.O. 1856-67, and 2nd county seat of Pottawatomie County. S21 T9S R10E. (KHC v.17 p.460)

    Rock Creek Crossing of Oregon & Calif. Road at present Westmoreland, KS. Scott Springs on south side; large spring in field west of courthouse. Campground both sides of creek, sometimes covering entire present townsite. Adam Scott, Sr., was a pioneer settler in 1870. (KHC v.17 p.445)

    Rock Ford (or French Crossing) near mouth of Wolf River. S. F. French, Prop. (Gray II-144)

    Roy's Ferry 1840's? on Big Nemaha River; John Baptiste Roy, Prop., who also had a trading post on hillside south of the ferry, and was interpreter for the Iowa Indians. John B. Roy d. Nov. 1859. Lewis & Clark ascended the Big Nemaha several miles in 1804 and carved their names on overhanging rocks. These carvings have never been discovered and it is probable that they have fallen into the river. (KHQ v.5 p.379-80

    Roy's Creek bridge 1858 at Mt. Roy, on White Cloud & Padonia Road. (White Cloud "Chief", 22 June 1865)

    Salt Creek Bridge 1844 on Ft. Riley road at Rively's (Robert Wilson's) store west of Ft. Leavenworth. (Rively succeeded Wilson in 1854). (KHQ v.2 p.18 & KHC v.16 p.273)

    Sapling Grove Campground 1834. First mentioned by Wm. M. Anderson in 1834, a member of Wm. L. Sublette's pack train to the Rocky Mountains. It was the rendezvous for the Bidwell-Bartleson Party in May 1841. (Barry p.265, 346, 367-68 &428)

    St. Joseph & Elwood Ferry 1855-72. Robert Jessee & Ebenezer Blackiston, Props. Steam ferry, Tidy Adala", later replaced by Ebenezer." (KHQ v.2, p.126; Bird p.43)

    Santa Fe Road Ferry 1857 on Kansas River SE 1/4 S20 T11S R25E. (KHQ v.2 p.257)

    Saunders' Ferry 1869 on Kansas River 1/2 m. southwest of Medina (formerly Perryville). Wales Saunders, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.347)

    Savannah Landings on Missouri River at present Amazonia. Originaly known as Owens' Landing in 1842; later as Caples' Landing (1846). A hamlet called Elizabethtown was platted about 1 m. upstream in 1845. Nodaway City platted 1849; name changed to Boston in 1851. A family named Boston lived in the vicinity in 1868. (Barry p. 578-79)

    Sawlog Creek Crossing of Ft. Hays/Ft. Dodge Military Road; Sawlog P.O. 1883-84, Edward Waters, postmaster. (KPO p.151 & 190)

    Seven Springs (Mair's Spring) Campground 1857 at Kansas Falls on Smoky Hill Trail 6 m west of Junction City. (KHQ v.4 p.17)

    Shipp's Ferry 1859 on Big Blue River south of future Irving. S18 (13?) T5S R7E. James W. & William E. Shipp, Prop. (KHQ v.3 p.134)

    Shibley's Ford 1856 on Big Blue River at Marysville, KT. Robert Shibley, Prop. (Lewin p.43)

    Simmons' Ferry 1852 on Kansas River at Bald Eagle (Rising Sun),opposite present Lecompton. William K. Simmons, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.343

    Six Mile Creek Crossing of Santa Fe Trail. Post office 1863-66; Samuel N. Shaft, Postmaster. Chas. Owen's ranch, 1866; burned by Indians, 1868. (KPO p.208; Simmons p.84)

    Smith's Ferry on Kansas River 1852, Sidney W. Smith, Prop. (Barry p.1088, 1157, 1191 & 1228; KHQ v.3 p.15-17)

    Smith's Station 1856, Chas. Smith, Prop. On Lane's Trail at crossing of Gregg's Creek about 4 m. northeast of present Wetmore. SE corner S20 T4S R15E. Station on Underground Railroad.

    Smoky Hill Crossing 1867 on Ft. Hays/Ft. Dodge Military Road. Billy Dixon owned a "whisky ranch", operated by Billy Reynolds in 1871. (KHQ v. p.276)

    Soldier Creek Crossing of Ft. Leav./Ft. Riley Military Road. Indianola P.O. 1855-68, Lewis Harris, postmaster. Original name was Kansapolis. Stage station, hotels, stores, and blacksmiths. (Root p.39; GTK p.89)

    South Fork of Big Nemaha Crossing 1850, Ft. Leavenworth & Ft. Laramie Military Road (future Richmond, about 2 m. north of Seneca). A cache of gold dust was buried nearby c1854 by a traveler returning from California who feared robbery. Gold has never been recovered.

    South Fork of Big Nemaha Crossing 1844 (Cornelius Gilliam Co.). Crossed "South Fork" (actually Tennessee Creek) on May 31, and "Branch of South Fork" (actually South Fork) on June 1. Birth of (Henrietta) Sager at May 31 campsite. A hamlet named Lincoln was established by J. E. Hocker, Aug., 1860 at the mouth of Illinois Creek (Hocker was from Illinois?). It was a P.O. 1861-68, Luther B. Jones, postmaster, and identified by George Duffield in 1866 who drove one of the first herds of cattle north from Texas after the Civil War. (Parrish p.10; KPO p.74 & 209; Carleton p.28)

    Stinson's Ferry 1854 on Kansas River at Tecumseh on section line between R16 & R17. Tecumseh was 1st county seat of Shawnee County. Thomas N. Stinson, Prop. (Barry p.1228; KHQ v.2 p.348)

    Sullivan's Landing 1846 5 m. below St. Joseph on Missouri River. Wm. G. T'Vault's party of 61 wagons, 300 persons, probably crossed here the last of April 1845. (Barry p. 539 & 578)

    Switzler's Toll Bridge 1847 (1826?) at Santa Fe Trail crossing of Switzler (or Bridge) Creek. John Switzler, Prop. (Barry p.549, 642 & 713)

    Thompson's Ferry 1852-70 on Missouri River at Elwood. Henry Thompson, Prop. (Barry p.1142; KHQ v.2 p.126)

    Thompson-Hameys Ferry 1846 on Missouri River near , present Corning, MO. Dale Morgan suggests that the ferry was southwest of Oregon, MO, near Iowa Point. (Wm. Banks operated a ferry here since 1844) The ferry site . about 4 m. south of the mouth of Nishnabotna River was at Hemmies Bend of the Missouri River, which still retains this name. The Gregg-Cooper Party was the first of record to follow the Old Ft. Kearny Road on the divide north of Big Nemaha River. (Barry p.576-77, Morgan p.150-51 & Lewin, July 6, 1994)

    Toley's Ferry 1845? on Kansas River SE 1/4 S31 T11S R24E. Chas. Toley, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.266)

    Tremble Toll Road c1850-60 on Black Vermillion at crossing of Oregon & Calif. road. Louis Tremble, Prop. (KHC v.27 p.491)

    Tyler's Crossing of Grasshopper (Cedar) Creek, 2 m. sw. of Fairview, KS. John S. Tyler, postmaster 1864-78. Tyler was a member of the Albany Colony from New York state in 1857. Probably Gilliam Co. campsite May 25. 1844. (KPO p.130, 163; Tennal p.40)

    Uniontown Ford 1849 on Oregon & Calif. road near Willard; only rock bottom ford on Kansas River. Uniontown P.O.1856, Chas. Randall, postmaster. Tradition says that a cache of gold dust is hidden near the Trail between the village and river. The gold was taken in an armed robbery, and the robbers were pursued and killed, but gold was not recovered. About 1900 a clairvoyant was employed to locate the hiding place; two large excavations were made at designated places. These pits still remain, but no gold was found. (Barry p.738; Ernest Ray Green 1957)

    Wabaunsee & Webster City Ferry 1858-66 on Kansas River; Wabaunsee Town Co., Prop. Wabaunsee was 1st county seat of Wabaunsee County. (KHQ v.3 p.26)

    Walnut (Grasshopper or Delaware) Creek Bridge 1860. Southwest corner S33 T4S R16E. (Colo. Mag. v.27 p.51)

    Walnut Creek Crossing 1867 on Ft. Hays/Ft. Dodge Military Road. Alexander Harvey was prop. of a road ranch in 1872. (KHQ v. p.277)

    Wathena & Elwood Ferry Road. Cleared by Daniel Vanderslice, Apr., 1854; macadamized 1866. (Bird p.42; Gray I-22 & II-91; IDC p.228 & 24)

    West Union Landing 1846 at head of Nodaway Island 31 m. above St. Joseph on Missouri River at mouth of Nodaway River. Present village of Nodaway? (Barry p. 578)

    White Cloud Steam Ferry on Missouri River. Taylor & Moore, 1855- 62; O. Bailey, 1862-67; Bailey & Noyes, 1868-70; John H. Lynds, 1871-1912. (Gray I-36; IDC p.112)

    Whitehead's Ferry 1853 on Missouri River at Whitehead (future Belmont). James R. Whitehead, Prop. (KHQ v.2 p.131)

    Wildcat Creek Crossings of Ft. Leavenworth & Ft. Riley Military Road. The 1853 road crossed Wildcat on a rock-bottom ford about 2 m. northwest of Manhattan. After the Juniata bridge was destroyed by ice in Feb., 1856, the Big Blue crossing was moved to a ferry on the east edge of Manhattan. This branch crossed Wildcat about 0.5 m. from its mouth, after squeezing between the south end of the ridge in Sunset Park and Kansas River. Kansas Rver channel was on the south edge of Manhattan, and the Big Blue channel was the east boundary of Manhattan until the 1903 flood. After crossing Wildcat, this road followed a draw to the top of the ridge in present Warner Park, and then descended a steep sided ravine to the Kansas River valley. Eroded rut swales are visible for most of this distance; indeed, for many years this was the only wagon road west from Manhattan, carrying military, freight, emigrant and stage coach travel. (Kansas Quarterly 1973, v. 5 #2 P. 52)

    Willow Spring: Campsite on S.F. Trail, S22 T14S R19E; Davis P.O.1855-61, Thomas Mockbee, postmaster. Willow Springs P.O. 1861-70, Edward Vanhoesen, postmaster. USGS Lone Star Quad.

    Wolf River Crossing of St. Joseph & Calif. road. Southeast corner S28 T1S R20E. Sac & Fox (or Iowa?) Indians operated a toll bridge 1849- 53. A trading post called Iola was located on west side c1856. (Barry p.508, 922-23, etc.) David Wooster, who left St. Joseph Apr. 25, 1850, reported that the bridge over Wolf Creek was "little more than a collection of logs in a ravine." (evidently a corduroy bridge) (Mattes p.316)

    Woodward's Ferry 1864-67 at mouth of Saline River; James J. Woodward, Prop. Located at site of present Union Pacific Railroad bridge. (KHQ v.4 p.150)

    Wyoming 1858 at Muddy Creek Crossing of Ft. Leavenworth & Ft. Riley Road, about 2 m. southwest of Meriden.

    Wyoming P.O.1862-1901, James Kelley, postmaster. Located at Irish Creek (S. Fork of Black Vermillion) crossing of Parallel Road. Present village of Lillis is located 1 m. north of this crossing. Probably Gilliam company campsite June 4, 1844.
    http://www.kansasheritage.org/werner/ferry.html

    plains digger likes this.
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

  2. #2
    us
    Parkeologist...

    Feb 2008
    Wichita, KS Area
    Garrett At Pro, Tesoro Tejon & 2 Banditos, Garrett Ace 250
    66
    7 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

    Re: FORDS, FERRIES AND BRIDGES

    Nice article,
    "Independence Crossing of Big Blue River. Alcove Spring."

    I grew up a mere 6 or so miles from there and use to do trail rides around that area in the 80's. My grandfather actually owned the place before it was a Historical Site.

    Neato...

    Jason

  3. #3
    hu
    Gypsyheart~ Queen of Rust

    Nov 2005
    Ozarks
    12,686
    287 times

    Re: FORDS, FERRIES AND BRIDGES

    Quote Originally Posted by ks_hunter
    Nice article,
    "Independence Crossing of Big Blue River. Alcove Spring."

    I grew up a mere 6 or so miles from there and use to do trail rides around that area in the 80's. My grandfather actually owned the place before it was a Historical Site.

    Neato...

    Jason
    Do you think there are any old family photos of it?
    I go a great distance,while some are considering whether they will start today or tomorrow

 

 

Sponsored Links

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Search tags for this page

coins found metal detecting in burr oak ks

,
land treasures in ozawkie kansas
,
lane kansas history high school dutch henry crossing
,
louis vieux toll bridge or ferry
,
metal detecting at middle crossing near dodge city
,
metal detecting in wathena kansas
,
missouri river ferries and bridges at st. joseph
,
oregon trail in pottawatomie county ks metal detecting
,
smith station kansas john brown
,
treasure in pottawatomie county ks
Click on a term to search for related topics.
Powered by vBadvanced CMPS v4.3.0