SE Kansas info.

rebelLT

Feb 26, 2007
SE Kansas
Detector(s) used
Explorer SE PRO, XLT, Teknetics Omega
Here is some interesting information on my stomping grounds, southeast Kansas. The area was once a heavily populated coal mining region with dozens (probably over a hundred) towns and “mine camps” cramped into the area of southeast Crawford County and northeast Cherokee County. Most of the towns and camps today are ghost towns or just a shell of what they were. The first link is a map of the Pittsburg Coal fields showing the towns and camps.
http://www.morningsun.net/guides/Weir-Pittsburg Coal-Field-Map.pdf

The second link is to the Pittsburg State University library’s special collections and should load a page of photographs from 1929 showing interesting places from some of the above towns and camps. Imagine the goodies out there!
http://axedigital.pittstate.edu/cdm4/results.php?&CISORESTMP=results.php&CISOVIEWTMP=item_viewer.php&CISOMODE=grid&CISOGRID=thumbnail,A,1;title,A,1;subjec,A,0;descri,200,0;covera,A,0;20;item,title,descri,none,none&CISOBIB=title,A,1,N;subjec,A,0,N;descri,200,0,N;none,A,0,N;none,A,0,N;20;title,none,none,none,none&CISOTHUMB=20%20(4x5);title,none,none,none,none&CISOTITLE=20;title,none,none,none,none&CISOHIERA=20;subjec,title,none,none,none&CISOSUPPRESS=0&CISOTYPE=browse&CISOROOT=%2Firaclemens&CISOSTART=1,1

Huntn FireH2o

Feb 24, 2008
Wichita KS. U.S.A
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250 Garrett Treasure Ace 300
That sounds really cool, I was born in Frontac at the old catholic hospital. Is there still chickn Marys and chickn Anns. We were planning to do some fishing at the strip pits for catfish. We will try to get up that way this will just blow the boy wonders mind. His grandpa collects old railway and mining laterns and he thinks there really neat. There are several places that are popping up and I just want to thanks the guys on the forum for the post the lil guys is bouncing of the walls already due to the rain> GOD BLESS Good luck huntin Monty

Burdie

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2005
South Central Kansas
Detector(s) used
Etrac
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I am dying to get over that way. That research will pay off for you. Good luck. Come over some time.
Stan

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread