Less than stellar experience

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been on the hunt for a new detector for a few months.

I eventually settled on the CTX3030. Then began the search for the best price.

Of course, I ended up at Kellyco.com. Their website touts a live chat capability where you can ask a sales associate questions. Of the dozen + times I tried, it never worked. It seemed to always be turned off. I understand that it may require a lot of staff time, but if you can't man it, quit promoting it.

So, in place of that, I sent a message via the "contact" link. In fact, I sent 2 messages. Both requesting some specific items in a package deal, another service that Kellyco advertises on their website. No response EVER. Nada, zip, zilch.

I then took the last approach, call them personally. The first call was to price a White's unit that I was considering and ask some comparison questions. Once the phone was answered, I could almost hear the hatred in the dudes voice. I asked for the price (since they can't be listed) and got this moaning, deep exhale answer. I decided that this feller was not the one to be asking more of, I said thanks and goodbye. He just hung up without a word.

I then called back 2 or 3 days later with the intention of asking the missed questions. This time, it was another dude who answered. I gave my customary introduction of "Hi, my name is XXXXXX, how are you doing?" This question was met with no answer, just another sigh. I then told him that I has some questions. I was pointed to the website (which does not answer my specific questions). I told him I would like to price a custom detector package. Apparently, despite the website's claim, that cannot be done. The price of the listed package was the only option I had. This feller must have been in the same customer care class as my last helper.

So, Kellyco representatives if you are reading this, I want you to be aware that absolutely rotten/rude call takers and a false website claims forced my hand. I went to a different dealer who seemed very happy to accept my thousands of dollars. I will be writing a review of him very soon and it will be a positive one. Despite the fancy website and claims to fame, Kellyco lost a customer for life.

Sincerely,
WM

mick56

Bronze Member
Jun 2, 2007
Southern Wisconsin
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
ATPro
I, too, have emailed them twice in the last couple weeks, and never recieved an answer. I finally called them, and the person I talked to could not help me at all.

Subchaser

Dec 25, 2012
Ledyard, CT
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Tracker IV
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am soooo glad I read this post, I'm going to upgrade to a Garrett AT Pro soon and was looking at KellyCo to make the purchase.....do believe I'll try another site now, thanks for the heads up Wyomingmedic. (grew up in the Black Hills of SoDak btw)

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to reach Kellyco and can't reach them pm me your contact info and I will have the sales director call you. I go in there often, they are great and they are always very busy both on the floor and on the phones which constantly are ringing.

Pm me your contact info...

Just shoot me pm with you email or phone an i

OP
OP
Wyomingmedic

Wyomingmedic

Jan 31, 2013
The black hole between Montana and Colorado.
Detector(s) used
Truffle seeking pig modified for metal.

The results have been so-so

When the pig fails me (which is often), I am relegated to a CTX3030 *sigh*. Like the dark ages or something.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you for the offer TH, but I already ordered a new CTX from Bart. Unfortunately, I have no need to contact Kellyco now.

Thanks again,

WM

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
So many companies these days just don't seem to understand that they get only 1
chance to make a good first impression...and in that moment the customer often decides
to do business there, or go somewhere else.

In this case it definitely sounds as if you made the right choice to buy elsewhere. Thanks
for sharing your experience.

heathgeo

Dec 1, 2012
Salisbury, MD
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Outlaw, Tesoro Vaquero, Tesoro Sand Shark
Hmm I had a different experience which was quite the opposite... And i really do not like giving a bad review but ill letchas know how my ordeal went down... lol
I was on the fence deciding on which detector to buy... after much research I then began looking for the best Prices & Package Deals..
And I was origionally after the Garrett AT Pro But Liked the Tesoro Outlaw also...
Kellyco offers alot of extras with the Detectors .. one being a pin pointer usually free or discounted by over 50% ( ++PLUS+++)
I see BigBoysHobbies on the forums and everyone seems to love them so i contacted them to see what kind of deals they offered...
I mentioned the deal at Kellyco and the fact they offered a free pinpointer and asked if they would consider throwing one in and he said yes ill throw one in and make you a deal on it...
I evidently mis understood and assumed he was gonna throw one in and make me a good deal on the Detector Pkg. because they all say that they will meet or beat other peoples prices...
I called and was told no he wasnt going to throw one in but he'll let em have it for i believe it was $XXX..
Anyways, So back to Kellyco I went....
I called them got a very nice lady who took care of me..
Both Bigboys and Kellyco had the At Pro on backorder so I decided on the Tesoro Outlaw 3 coil Pkg...
Im sure BigBoysHobbies is a great place to buy from but I got rubbed the wrong way.. maybe he had a bad day i dunno...
And Kellyco treated me pretty good... Well thats my $0.02

Last edited by a moderator:

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You know, if all these posts pointing out the same exact KC problems would stop getting deleted, MAYBE someone up there would get serious and fix their problems instead of just giving the same tired lip service excuse that "they are working to educate and improve their staff to resolve these problems".

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I mentioned the deal at Kellyco and the fact they offered a free pinpointer and asked if they would consider throwing one in and he said yes ill throw one in and make you a deal on it...
I evidently mis understood and assumed he was gonna throw one in and make me a good deal on the Detector Pkg. because they all say that they will meet or beat other peoples prices...
I called and was told no he wasnt going to throw one in but he'll let em have it for i believe it was $XXX..

WHICH pinpointers are you talking about? Was KC throwing in a free Garrett PP or their POS one? I guarantee that Bart wasn't making you a deal on a junk. Anytime you do comparison shopping (always a good thing) make sure you are talking about the same gear each time.

heathgeo

Dec 1, 2012
Salisbury, MD
Detector(s) used
I think the one KC was offering was the Automax V4 for free w/ option2...
And yes Bart offered the Garrett... for $XXX
Like i said im not bad mouthing anyone and I evidently mis understood...
I've never used a pinpointer and for their purpose i cant see them being much different..
Ive seen atleast 5-6 different pinpointers used in youtube videos and they all looked like they worked just fine picking a coin out of a litle pile of dirt or in a hole...
Now when your dropping about $600 on a detector you want the best deal you can get.. especially in todays economy...
i couldnt justify dropping another $100 on a pinpointer when you can get one that seems just as good for free...
And ive seen both the Garrett & Automax V4 on video... their both good in my opinion...

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

This is your problem. Comparing the automax to the Garrett is like comparing a radioshack micronta to the Tesoro Outlaw. Both can find metal in the right circumstances but one is vastly superior in quality and performance.

I can understand money being tight, but the freebie KC "gave" you is junk and the price was included into the detector, they just didn't tell you that.

heathgeo

Dec 1, 2012
Salisbury, MD
Detector(s) used

Jason in Enid

Gold Member
Oct 10, 2009
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you want to pay MAP that's fine. I'm sure Bart could give you better deal. Did you actually call?

Skinsfan

Feb 14, 2013
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4
Garret Pro Pointer
Lesche Digger
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I called KC as well as did a live chat several times. I never really got asked about what I was going to use the detector for, but rather referred to one that they wanted to sell me. (felt like "we have these in inventory and need to move them") I didnt really want a fake gold coin or a hat or a plastic shovel, I was more concenred with the detector.

Kind of put me off a bit. They were very polite and answered questions that I had, but seemed to want to steer me to a detector prices higher than what I told them I wanted to spend.

I ended up getting one (package deal with real nice equip) from Tom at Miller (Sponsor). Better deal, better service IMO.

Ask and compare, it is a competetive business. Chose what is best for you based on your options. Just make sure that you are comparing apples to apples.

Last edited:

heathgeo

Dec 1, 2012
Salisbury, MD
Detector(s) used
If you want to pay MAP that's fine. I'm sure Bart could give you better deal. Did you actually call?

I did call.. that how i got the quote for $XXXon the Garretts Pro Pointer which is a great pinpointer from all of the reviews..
But when you match the 2 up KC just offered a better deal in my opinion...
Granted Both of them are out of stock on the AT Pro Adventure Pack...
Which is why I decided on the Next best deal ( in my opinion ) the Tesoro Outlaw w/ 3 coils... the fact that their made in the USA and have Lifetime warrantys is a major plus too...
I dont really need a VID machine i can use the disc knob to ID most targets...
And i hunt in the woods & fields 99% of the time... and im not hunting in the rain..
I can insure my detector for like $25 a year incase i drop it in a puddle or something.
Ill probably end up selling the Automax V4 pinpointer for like $50 and buying the Garrett or Minelab but ill give her a good workout first :P

ICON

Dec 22, 2012
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
hey all, i have a problem with KELLYCO .com. in regard to me buying a CTX3030, i did not need the extra's , the pouch,digger,ect. nor pinpointer, some one who's has all that equiment,has no need for that stuff.they say the equiment is worth 400 buck's or more. so i wanted them to deleate the extra's. the CTX. is 2500 buck's . all i wanted was the CTX. with wireless headset,an rechargable battery. an the warrenty, they offer a standerd packages one an two. you wright down both of them side by side ,do a side by side compareason.read them carefully ? now check out the warranty ,one says two years on says three . if it's 2500 hundred with 400 hundred bucks of junk i don't need !! take the price of the junk off, should'ent that lower the price ? oh ! when you check out standerd one an two package's check the word [custom] ? there aint a hell of lot of differante's.

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
hey all, i have a problem with KELLYCO .com. in regard to me buying a CTX3030, i did not need the extra's , the pouch,digger,ect. nor pinpointer, some one who's has all that equiment,has no need for that stuff.they say the equiment is worth 400 buck's or more. so i wanted them to deleate the extra's. the CTX. is 2500 buck's . all i wanted was the CTX. with wireless headset,an rechargable battery. an the warrenty, they offer a standerd packages one an two. you wright down both of them side by side ,do a side by side compareason.read them carefully ? now check out the warranty ,one says two years on says three . if it's 2500 hundred with 400 hundred bucks of junk i don't need !! take the price of the junk off, should'ent that lower the price ? oh ! when you check out standerd one an two package's check the word [custom] ? there aint a hell of lot of differante's.

FWIW, when I spoke with Bart at BigBoysHobbies about the Fisher GoldBug Pro I mentioned that I had no need
for the "extras package" as I had all that equipment already. Without further discussion he immediately adjusted
the detectors price to compensate, and the end result was a far better deal than if I had bought the same machine
from KellyCo. Never called KellyCo as I feel no need to shop there when another business has garnered
a far better reputation. Personally, I much prefer to deal with a small shop where service is tops than some
mega-mart offering cheap gimmies to lure a buyer in to higher cost packages.

JMHO, of course..

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Taking off freebies will not lower the price, but you may be able to substitute them for something you can use...

Contact kellyco about it or pm me. I talk to the sales director fairly often.

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Like i said im not bad mouthing anyone and I evidently mis understood...
I've never used a pinpointer and for their purpose i cant see them being much different..
Ive seen atleast 5-6 different pinpointers used in youtube videos and they all looked like they worked just fine picking a coin out of a litle pile of dirt or in a hole...
Now when your dropping about $600 on a detector you want the best deal you can get.. especially in todays economy...
i couldnt justify dropping another $100 on a pinpointer when you can get one that seems just as good for free...
And ive seen both the Garrett & Automax V4 on video... their both good in my opinion...

If I had a rolling on the floor icon , I'd post it here.

No all pinpointers are not created equal.

as for Kellyco, Still a great company to deal with IMO

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread