Warranty repair return worst then went in Sent to Ill center came back from Kellyco??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Currently use CTX, Excalibur
Have used V3I, DFX, BHID, ATX, Etrac, TDI, Infinium
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Etrac was acting up and contacted the Minelab Center in Lisle, IL 60532.
I mailed it back and it was received by Minelab in Illinois on 12/16.
I received it yesterday and the label has it being sent from Kellyco in Florida.

I put a brand new set of batteries in it (measured 12.88volts) turned it on and
The screen flashed and it makes a deep bell sound.

Now it just says "Flat battery" and turns off.

Its more F'd up then when I sent it.

Why did this get sent to Kellyco from Illinois and why is it not working now?? Whos is paying the shipping to have it returned so I can get a working unit!!

I just ordered a CTX. Having serious doubts about that purchase and long term use.

pong12211

Bronze Member
Jan 5, 2013
North central Pa.
Detector(s) used
Garrett at pro/Garrett pro pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending what your spending ability is cut your loses and buy yourself an AT pro. Just my opinion. Sorry to hear about this im sure I would be pretty :censored: too. Hope it all works out for you.

OP
OP
L

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just need to vent. When I first called they told me it would cost $800 to repair because the board would need to be replaced- but upon looking up the serial # it was still under warranty.

The point is after spending over $1200 to purchase and 2 years later finding out a repair is $800. It makes you think twice about purchasing a machine from this company, it shouldn't cost $800 for a PCB. especially if you want to keep people upgrading to a new model.

OP
OP
L

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
They still sell the Etrac and it was under warranty

chriskellyco

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Sep 30, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro/Ace 350, Minelab CTX 3030/E-Trac/Excal II, White's Coinmaster GT, Nokta FORS CoRe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
lawsonland sent you a PM

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My Etrac was acting up and contacted the Minelab Center in Lisle, IL 60532.
I mailed it back and it was received by Minelab in Illinois on 12/16.
I received it yesterday and the label has it being sent from Kellyco in Florida.

I put a brand new set of batteries in it (measured 12.88volts) turned it on and
The screen flashed and it makes a deep bell sound.

Now it just says "Flat battery" and turns off.

Its more F'd up then when I sent it.

Why did this get sent to Kellyco from Illinois and why is it not working now?? Whos is paying the shipping to have it returned so I can get a working unit!!

I just ordered a CTX. Having serious doubts about that purchase and long term use.

lawsonland sent you a PM

Contact Chris, they will take care of you. It was sent to Kellyco because they are an authorized Minelab repair center, the wait time in Chicago was probably long and Kellyco was short. Kellyco does all my Minelab mods and any repair work that may pop up, they do excellent work...

I would never trade my Etrac for an AT Pro.

Posted From My $50 Tablet....

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison
The Constitution of the United States of America

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
TH,

I am with you 100%. While I have not bought an ETrac, I have had Excal (Blue Sword), Excal 1000, Quattro, XTerra 70, and an SD2000 I have had since 1998. I never had a bit of trouble with any of them. I used them a lot, and take fanatical care of them. While I am not averse to other brands (I have two Fisher Gemini two boxes and a Fisher FX3 magnetometer, as well as my Scheibel PI Mine Detector).

Get rid of his ETrac for an AT Pro? He is having a metal detector problem, not an aneurysm! HAHAHA EVERY metal detector is only a machine. EVERY machine is subject to breaking. There are far fewer Minelabs that are lemons than most detectors.

Mike

Last edited:
OP
OP
L

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm not blaming anyone yet. But here are the facts.
FACT: I contacted Minelab in Illinois on 12/10/14 due to erratic behavior of my Etrac.
FACT: The tech (in Illinois) stated that it was most likely the board (he had seen the issue before) and the cost is $800 to repair. He suggested I purchase anew one. We talked a while because I was amazed about the cost of a PCB (I am a quality assurance electrical engineer for a large aerospace company) and he requested the serial # and when he checked I still had 1 month warranty. It was after the date of the actual purchase which was a positive outcome of the call.
FACT: I sent my Etrac to Minelab in Illinois on 12/11/14
FACT: I have an email from Minelab in Illinois stating they received the unit in-house on 12/15/2015
FACT: Called Minelab in Illinois on Tuesday 12/30/14 inquiring about the Etrac. They stated they only received it on 12/22 and would send an update when it was looked at- things were slowed due to the holiday. I was at work and questioned the 12/22 date but did not push it because I did not have the email showing receipt on 12/15 with me.
FACT: I received the Etrac 1/2/15 and the shipping label has Kellyco, Florida as the originator
FACT: Placed my rechargable battery into the unit to hunt and it screen made low deep "bell" sounds while the screen flickered on & off. I shut it down.
FACT: I put Brand new batteries into the AA holder and measuring 12.88 volts results in the unit with "Flat battery" on the screen and then shutting off. It will only do this and not do anything else
FACT: It did not do that when it left here 3 weeks ago. It did turn on and work just not correctly
FACT: Kellyco rep PM'd me and will look into it on Monday

I will update on Monday.

Lisarez66

Dec 5, 2014
EastCoast
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Fisher
GT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sad! Could be from shipping. Hope it wasnt lollygagging!

gollum

Gold Member
Jan 2, 2006
Arizona Vagrant
Detector(s) used
Minelab SD2200D (Modded)/ Whites GMT 24k / Fisher FX-3 / Fisher Gold Bug II / Fisher Gemini / Schiebel MIMID / Falcon MD-20
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Depending what your spending ability is cut your loses and buy yourself an AT pro. Just my opinion. Sorry to hear about this im sure I would be pretty :censored: too. Hope it all works out for you.

Hey pong12211,

In response to your suggestion:

From, AT Pro ..............to Etrac

Nothing bad about the AT Pro, but many people seem to be going the opposite way you suggested. HAHAHA

Mike

OP
OP
L

lawsonland

Oct 1, 2007
Pennsylvania
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi,
Spoke to both Minelab & Kellyco. Both have apologized for the inconvenience and have sent a prepaid label to return the unit to be corrected. Minelab was short on help due to the holiday and sent machines to Kellyco to be worked on so they would not be sitting around over the holiday. Everything should work out, I was all set to hunt and when I got out to the field and it didn't work it was a let down.
Just wanted to let you know everyone (Kellyco and the tech at Minelab) have been very nice and helpful.

chriskellyco

Supporting Vendor
Supporting Vendor
Sep 30, 2014
Orlando, FL
Detector(s) used
Fisher F4, Garrett AT Pro/Ace 350, Minelab CTX 3030/E-Trac/Excal II, White's Coinmaster GT, Nokta FORS CoRe
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Glad to hear the issue was fixed. It's always a let down when you get to your hunting spot only to find out something is missing or not working. Hope next time you head out the machine works perfectly.

mtsheron

Jun 6, 2014
NC
Detector(s) used
Nokta Simplex+; and Lesche digging tools! Tesoro Compadre (daughter's machine)
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Great outcome! Glad they have taken care of you and understand the need to vent given you go to your site to hunt and whammmo you are dead in the water! I did not read to see if you have a backup but I always take my backup to sites just in case something goes all screwball wrong! And if the backup is screwed up, well, I just go back home!

These things are electronic machines and they are prone to let us down eventually!

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Minelab_Equinox_ 800 Minelab_CTX-3030 Minelab_Excal_1000 Minelab_Sovereign_GT Minelab_Safari Minelab_ETrac Whites_Beach_Hunter_ID Fisher_1235_X
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Great outcome! Glad they have taken care of you and understand the need to vent given you go to your site to hunt and whammmo you are dead in the water! I did not read to see if you have a backup but I always take my backup to sites just in case something goes all screwball wrong! And if the backup is screwed up, well, I just go back home!

These things are electronic machines and they are prone to let us down eventually!

I always take a back up no matter where I hunt land or sea...

“A well-regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.”
― James Madison

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Pm chriskellyco, he will take care of you...

― James Madison

glenn3564

Greenie
Apr 11, 2015
Near Myrtle Beach SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro w/8.5x11 dd coil/5x8 dd coil
Minelab Safari w/Nel 5.5x9.5 dd coil/stock 10 minelab/SEF
18x15 coil
Garrett Pinpointer/Deteknix Xpointer
Hunt Wilde digger/Gator Digg
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just this past week I had an issue with a Gator digger. I spoke with ** and explained to him that I had just bought a Minelab Safari a couple of months ago and it came with
a package deal """""that I paid for with my hard earned money"""". The issue was the rubber handle. That's all I needed. No one advised me the handles of those diggers
were failing regularly. In other words, I did not use the digger up until 2 weeks ago when on a whim I decided I would give it a try because I already owned a stainless
"Hunt Wilde" digger that is far superior than any digger I have yet to use. Well, after 5 heart attacks, I only am able to hunt about 1 to 2 hours a day and about every second
or third day at that. So you can see it was hardly used at all. Well Mr. ** treated me as if the package deal was a gift and would not send me a handle, but, is now sending
me the entire digger for which I have to send the bad one back on my dime. This is rediculous. He IN FACT RECOMMENDED THAT I GO TO WAL-MART AND BUY A BICYCLE
HANDLE TO PUT ON IT UNTIL I PRESSED HIM FOR A NEW HANDLE INSTEAD.....Kellyco was once my "go to" when I needed something as I have bought many a detector
and accessory from them but I am now done. They can stick a fork in me as far as any future business. This could have been a simple pull the handle off one in stock,
send it to me first class and I would have been glad to send the bad handle back to him "First Class". Now I got this to deal with. Why make things so complicated?

Treasure_Hunter

Administrator
Staff member
Jul 27, 2006
Florida
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just this past week I had an issue with a Gator digger. I spoke with ** and explained to him that I had just bought a Minelab Safari a couple of months ago and it came with
a package deal """""that I paid for with my hard earned money"""". The issue was the rubber handle. That's all I needed. No one advised me the handles of those diggers
were failing regularly. In other words, I did not use the digger up until 2 weeks ago when on a whim I decided I would give it a try because I already owned a stainless
"Hunt Wilde" digger that is far superior than any digger I have yet to use. Well, after 5 heart attacks, I only am able to hunt about 1 to 2 hours a day and about every second
or third day at that. So you can see it was hardly used at all. Well Mr. ** treated me as if the package deal was a gift and would not send me a handle, but, is now sending
me the entire digger for which I have to send the bad one back on my dime. This is rediculous. He IN FACT RECOMMENDED THAT I GO TO WAL-MART AND BUY A BICYCLE
HANDLE TO PUT ON IT UNTIL I PRESSED HIM FOR A NEW HANDLE INSTEAD.....Kellyco was once my "go to" when I needed something as I have bought many a detector
and accessory from them but I am now done. They can stick a fork in me as far as any future business. This could have been a simple pull the handle off one in stock,
send it to me first class and I would have been glad to send the bad handle back to him "First Class". Now I got this to deal with. Why make things so complicated?

Kellyco does not send out new handles on the Gators, they send new Gators out, just return the old one......

Life is too short to blow a gasket over a 3 dollar handle, not good for your blood pressure either.......[emoji3]

Last edited:

glenn3564

Greenie
Apr 11, 2015
Near Myrtle Beach SC
Detector(s) used
Minelab CTX 3030, Garrett AT Pro w/8.5x11 dd coil/5x8 dd coil
Minelab Safari w/Nel 5.5x9.5 dd coil/stock 10 minelab/SEF
18x15 coil
Garrett Pinpointer/Deteknix Xpointer
Hunt Wilde digger/Gator Digg
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I got the replacement today. There are many and I mean many complaints on the "old" style Gator handles. My blood pressure is fine.
It's the blister on my hand that hurts. The Gator they sent me was the "upgraded" style with a different handle. I am happy. What
upset me was his attitude when he said it was a "freeby" and I had just paid $1480.00 with him for this deal. A man would think after
paying that much that he would get the upgrade to begin with. If I owned a business and had an employee talk to a customer like he
talked to me he would be looking for a job tomorrow. And, I didn't even know this one was coming. Fed Ex just showed up with it this
morning. No RMA for the old one or nothing. Just a new digger. Will deal with the old one when I get a RMA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread