Jenny Wiley Connection?

K

Kentucky Kache

I was wondering if there's anyone on here that has a Jenny Wiley connection.
My mom use to tell me a story of a woman, somewhere in her grandpas family, who had been captured by Indians, and some of the things she experienced before she finally escaped and made it back home.
At some point I started wondering if my story could have some connection to Jenny Wiley...then I got serious and started digging into Jenny's story. IT'S A MATCH, right down to the spiderweb over the hollow log. Then I was able to find my family (the line from where my story comes), living in the same VA. county where Jenny Wiley lived...pretty exciting. So, what I'm looking for is anyone who has or knows of a personal connection to the story of Jenny Wiley, as I have not yet been able to connect her family with mine, at least not by name. Anyone have a legend to share? Thanks for ANY help.

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
I am familar with the Jenny Wiley legend. I lived in eastern Kentucky quite a lot. There are a lot of cool legends / Folk tales in that area.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Not being from that area, It's pretty neat hearing that story for so long and then finding that it matches Jenny's story.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

Thanks Gypsy. I've been looking at some sites, as well as Rootsweb, but you never know when you'll find the missing piece.

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI
That's super neat CC. Good luck on your research. The trail that she followed is just a few miles from me. Been on it many times.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

:thumbsup:

Attachments

• trail2.gif
    trail2.gif
    33.2 KB · Views: 601

mrtim

Jan 7, 2008
Nancy, KY
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Minelab Equinox 800, Whites Spectra V3i HP, Whites MX Sport, Fisher F2, Bounty Hunter Quicksilver, Nokta/Makro Simplex+
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
I have been wanting to do some research on "Harmons Station" where she finaly found safety. It is really close to me and I can almost pin down the location. It is supposed to be where Johns Creek runs into the Big Sandy River. My house is right on the edge of Jenny Wiley State Park, less than a mile from Dewey Lake. There is a civil war battle ground here too, but according to my research, it is not where the markers are located, I would love to get to detect it. President Garfield also had a home here that was torn down when I was a kid.

Jenny Wileys Grave is located in Johnson County (about 20 minutes away)

Where are you located? May be fun to get together and do some research.

OP
OP
K

Kentucky Kache

I'm in Casey County, more to the central part of the State. I would like to get out that way and do some searching if my situation would allow. Let's keep it on our to do list.

kentuckycowboy2

Greenie
Jan 24, 2009
Eastern Ky
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100 , Ace 250
Hi guys , I'm new here also and live in Eastern Ky . Santa just brought my young son a MD for Christmas and I order me one a couple days ago hoping we could spend more time together out doors . Well I posted to this message about the civil war sites you where mentioning not being located at the markers , Which one / ones might that be if you don't mind me asking ? I've been looking into the Ivy Creek and Middle Creek ones more lately and found a good source with maps and info at
( http://www.geocities.com/rlperry.geo/EasternKentuckyBattles.html )
Also you can email Frank Fitzpatrick at <[email protected]> with any questions about the battle of Middle Creek he is a historian from what I get .
Hope this helps , and if you have anymore details on the Ivy Creek or Ivy Mountain Battle to share please let me know .
John

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey MRTIM, my dad was from Pburg, and I lived there as well, he took me to where the blockhouse once stood when I was litte, but I sadly couldn't find it now. My dad has passed on, and in doing so, taking alot of information with him. I do know the man that owned the property kept a garden there, and used to plow up arrowheads all the time. I might could ask around to see if anyone knows more about it. It has always held a place for me, as my grandmother was a harmon, and it was her family that built that site.

Terry M.

Tenderfoot
Jul 26, 2009
When i was young and in the boy scouts our scout master took us on a hike through the area where jenny wiley was held, and then to block house bottom where harmons station was supposed to be, best i can remember it was in the bottom on the right at the combs airport on the north side by the river.....hope this is of help......also the battle of middle creek took place across the creek from where the markers are upon the side of the hill and the top of the ridge, across from the battle field is a hollow where the 20th Ohio artillery unit was at....as you turn up ky 404 the first hollow on the right is where the confederate artillery was set up......and alo it is reported that Gen. Humphrey marshall ordered his troops to burn the supply wagons in retreat, should be some goodies at these locations.

swiftfan

Feb 24, 2008
Pikeville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Well, I have pictures of the bottom where the blockhouse should have been, but they are too large to be posted. (larger than 512mb) If you would like a copy of them, email me at [email protected]. If I can resize them to fit, I'll post them for everyone.

-Swiftfan-

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
mxtswinger said:
Yep that's it. "The Warriors Path".

The path that Jenny followed home was not the warriors path. The warriors path ran north to south, North it ran through limestone (now called Maysville) South the warriors path went through cumberland gap. A fork or branch ran from the main warroirs path up through lower shawnee town (in the ashland area) The trail forked around where Mt sterling is located. any questions just ask

cstraiton

Sep 29, 2009
Flatwoods, Kentucky
-Ki- said:
mxtswinger said:
Yep that's it. "The Warriors Path".

The path that Jenny followed home was not the warriors path. The warriors path ran north to south, North it ran through limestone (now called Maysville) South the warriors path went through cumberland gap. A fork or branch ran from the main warroirs path up through lower shawnee town (in the ashland area) The trail forked around where Mt sterling is located. any questions just ask

This is interesting to me KI since I live in Flatwoods right next to Ashland. Would you happen to have any maps that show where the branch that ran through Ashland was?

-Ki-

Feb 12, 2009
EASTERN KENTUCKY
Detector(s) used
MD & Handwand "CaveHunter"Hiker" SonyDigital SLR
M11-11.jpg

Notice the main trail leads north through blue licks, 32a is the fork that lead to the Lower shawnee town, The main Indian village was on up the Scioto River. Remember the routes would change when the village moved from one location to another.
hope this helps :thumbsup:

Apr 14, 2010
paintsville
Detector(s) used
garrett 1500 gti and garrett gta 350,garrett pinpointer
Kentucky Kache said:
I was wondering if there's anyone on here that has a Jenny Wiley connection.
My mom use to tell me a story of a woman, somewhere in her grandpas family, who had been captured by Indians, and some of the things she experienced before she finally escaped and made it back home.
At some point I started wondering if my story could have some connection to Jenny Wiley...then I got serious and started digging into Jenny's story. IT'S A MATCH, right down to the spiderweb over the hollow log. Then I was able to find my family (the line from where my story comes), living in the same VA. county where Jenny Wiley lived...pretty exciting. So, what I'm looking for is anyone who has or knows of a personal connection to the story of Jenny Wiley, as I have not yet been able to connect her family with mine, at least not by name. Anyone have a legend to share? Thanks for ANY help.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread