Stagecoach Roads Running Through Frankfort

brianlexky

Feb 11, 2010
Does anyone have any information on old stagecoach roads running through Frankfort, KY? My parents own a small farm in Frankfort, off Old Louisville Rd, that has an old stagecoach road that runs through it. Would this be a good place to MD? I'm guessing that not only was the raod used for horseback, wagons, buggies etc, but also by people on foot. It would be a lot of ground to cover and I am wondering if it would be worth it. FYI - the farm house was built in 1929, so I am guessing it might be good to MD around it as well. My grandparents were by no means rich, just farmed a little and was a state highway patrol man back in the 40s and 50s.

Any thoughts would be appreciated as I am also new to this site.

Thanks,

Brian

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Welcome to Tnet,
Any Historical Location is worth Metal Detecting, it is possible there may have been older homesites or even camp sites along the road bed.
Good Luck with the Detecting and hope you can share pics of your finds with us.

Nova Treasure

amzster08

Greenie
Aug 26, 2013
Anyone still interested in this thread? I live in Frankfort and would love to hunt these trails.

jarocki

May 27, 2013
Evansville, IN
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 505
Bounty Hunter Pioneer 101 (Tracker 4)
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The only think I know about those routes is that if the road is called something Pike, then it was apart of the mail route. Hope that helps.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
For what it's worth, this was the OP's one and only post back in 2010 but since it has been revived.....

TAVERNS AND STAGE COACH LINES

I have a map or two of the routes buried somewhere but they aren't of much use to a detectorist. As is most often the case, the routes the Stage Coaches used are likely still in use today but in the form of modern paved roads. The original State Road from Mount Sterling to Pound Gap built in the early 1800's is present day US 460 with very little deviation. Geography pretty much dictated the routes and it just made sense to keep modernizing the same routes over time. I think the important information that we can extract from Stage Coach history is origin/destination....that's where we should focus our detectors.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread