Metal Detecting around Hopkinsville KY

RetAFDigger

Feb 17, 2013
Hopkinsville , KY
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I am new to the Metal Detecting Hobby and want to meet others around my area who detect. Also are there any local clubs I could join. I am also looking for some Legal areas to go detecting. From alot of these post I have seen the only place left to go detecting legally is on private land with owner's permission. If this is true does anyone know any places that I could check out.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
I am new to the Metal Detecting Hobby and want to meet others around my area who detect. Also are there any local clubs I could join. I am also looking for some Legal areas to go detecting. From alot of these post I have seen the only place left to go detecting legally is on private land with owner's permission. If this is true does anyone know any places that I could check out.

A lot of those "posts you have seen" are mis-informed. There's lots of public land you can detect. If there's no rules at whatever land you're going to, that say "no metal detecting", then presto, it must not be prohibited. There was a short-lived flap several years ago about your state inparticular (KY) because some archie professor at a KY university tried to say that state-level laws (cultural heritage / artifacts stuff) extended down to "all" public land (eg.: city & county level too, and not just state). But a close-reading of the KY laws contradicted this person(s). Even if it COULD be construed that the state laws subrograted down to city and county owned lands, yet a careful reading of the statutes clearly stated that it was dealing with "archaeologically sites". And no, not all public land is an "archaeologically site". To get such a designation there is a process by which it gets designated as such (a battle site, an indian midden, a historic house, or ...... whatever). Thus by logical deduction, if there is a process to get a site designated as such, then ....... doh, it wasn't an "archaeological site" before being deemed as such.

Now of course you'll never hear an archie retract such nonsense, since of course they hate md'rs. I mean, it would be a little like asking the president of PETA ("People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals", an animal rights wacko activist group) the following question: "Can I leave my pet bunny in the car while I run into 7-11 to get a slurpee?" They would shriek: "NEeeeeooooo!! You can be arrested for animal cruelty! Your car can be confiscated! You can be arrested!!" But sheesk, what did you expect from an animal rights wacko? SO TOO is it when a lot of archies speak. They'll give you a lot of scary cr*p, that isn't even backed up, and no one cares about except them. Nonetheless, some md'rs picked up the archie's public comments, linked them to some forums, and a bunch of hunters began the "sky is falling" fears, thinking they couldn't detect public land.

As long as you stay clear of obvious historic monuments, and aren't a nuisance, and check for potential actual laws, you're ok. The way to "check for potential laws" is to look them up for yourself. Don't go asking some desk-bound bureaucrat "can I metal detect?" For example: Your city probably has a website, or their muni-codes listed somewhere. If you see nothing that says "no metal detectors", then presto, there's your answer. Of course use common sense, don't be in the middle of retrievals when busy-bodies are there, etc....

hoosierguy

Feb 5, 2013
Laconia, IN
Detector(s) used
● Minelab Manticore ● Minelab CTX-3030 ● Minelab Equinox 800 ● Minelab Goldmaster 1000 ● Garrett Apex
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
From the Louisville area here...Hopkinsville is bound to have some great areas. It might not be open to hunting, but the Fort Donelson National Battlefield is nearby.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread