VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Just wanna say thanks for a couple of folks on here for suggesting to get one and I pulled the trigger on a Garrett AT Pro yesterday. I watched the dvd that came with it last night and went out in the yard for an hour today practicing with it. Gotta lot to learn bout it but only dug a few times with no treasure.

1st dig was an old radiator cap
2nd was about 10 feet in front of my front porch and was a 1956 Turkish coin. :)
3+was junk

I did find 2 nails that were very strong and were very high like 90+ on the detector. i didnt really understand that but overall I had a blast and will keep posting my junk I find :)

1239785_10201514317795709_471657410_n.jpg 999458_10201514318555728_85736932_n.jpg

Last edited:

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Congrats and way to go VDub!!! When I got started on my detector I put out different types of coins, silver and clad, penny nickels and so on, metal and pull tabs out in a clean place in the yard and just learned the different sounds.. I'm glad you finally got you a machine, holler if you ever need a hunting partner...
Pacman......

OP
OP
VDub75

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yea I played around alittle doing that with some of the stuff I found as I went. I threw a new quarter in a hole I dug about a foot deep and covered it up and it read a 32 which surprised me because I have just been digging up like 60+. As I learn more hopefully I can not just do that.
DO you think the pinpointers are worth buying? I thought it might be a waste of money until I started looking for stuff and now I think they can help a lot.

RJGMC

Sep 6, 2008
KANSAS CITY METRO
Detector(s) used
SIMPLEX, EQUINOX AND TESORO
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
GRASSHOPPER, you ask a great question. After you try out a Garrett pro-pointer, you will put one one your Christmas list. It makes target recovery a whole lot quicker.

Good luck! Do not get discouraged, you are getting it, just keep at it.

RJGMC
HI BOB!

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Agree with RJGMC, a pinpointer is a must have item, it saves time, and makes your digs a whole lot easier...

OP
OP
VDub75

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks, ill pick one up next time I go to Louisville. I think I did miss a few things just because they were small.

OP
OP
VDub75

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
My At pro had a rainbow line across the screen after using it awhile so I took it back. Got another one and it does the same thing so that sucks. Anyways I picked up a pro pointer while at Cabelas and all I have to say is that I wouldn't want to go anywhere without it ,money well spent. :)
Havent been out to much but if anyone needs some washers don't buy any.im awesome at finding them :) Supposed to be great weather this weekend so im gonna head to the river banks and creek banks.Dont have a clue if it will suck or not but hopefully I don't find washers there.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Vdub75

There are more videos on Garrett's website on the AT-Pro that are helpful to watch and will help you speed up the learning curve. That way you wont have to figure all the different things out on your own.

Here it is:
http://www.garrett.com/hobbysite/hbby_at_pro_videos.aspx

Happy hunting

OP
OP
VDub75

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info, I think ive watched every video on youtube and a lot of them are on there. i think im gonna start writing down my digs and what the detector reads until i get used to it. Right now im just digging everything just to see what is there. My yard is about 7 acres and has a lot of fill dirt /gravel that has been brought in over the years so i don't know what ill find or what to be looking for. So far the coolest things are an old horseshoe and the coin.

Produce Guy

Bronze Member
Dec 17, 2008
austin,texas
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace250,garrett pro-pointer,AT/Pro,
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You need to frame those first fines in a shadow box.

Ace350

Apr 12, 2012
The Jersey Shore
Detector(s) used
Ace350/ATpro/2Excalibur1000's
Eldorado/Bandito II µMax/Conquistador µMax/
Silver Sabre µMax/ Compadre/ Whites TRX & Garrett Pro-Pointer/ Lesche digger model 75 Stealth 720i & S3i Scoops
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The VDI numbers are helpful but don't totally rely on them. The tones are more accurate. Use the VDI numbers to confirm what you hear. So learn them in Pro mode and dig everything till you have a good idea on what is underneath the coil before you dig it.
The tones also work a little deeper than the VDI. So sometimes you will hear a tone and get nothing on the VDI display. That means your target is at the edge of the detection limit of the machine. So listen carefully.

Check your message box. I sent ya a gift. ;)

OP
OP
VDub75

VDub75

Greenie
Sep 2, 2013
Waddy Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info and the present, Dunno bout framing my scrap metal but I do have a bucket half full now. :) I dug a full foot deep and found a pull tab top tonight which sucks but it impressed me how deep and strong of a signal I was reading.
Maybe one of yall can answer something for me. When I dug that top it maxed the depth gage and I dug a huge plug and still didn't see it. The depth gage still read really like 8" even though I removed prolly 8" of dirt between the detector and the coil. Shouldn't of it read like 2-4 since I made it just air between the coils and the lid?

Ryno

Aug 30, 2013
Boone County, Ky
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You will love the AT Pro and you do want to get a pin pointer. Enjoy

clayno

Dec 13, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
VDub75...I just got my AT Pro 2 weeks ago and it has done the same "rainbow" thing on screen. I think it is from the extreme cold temps lately.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread