All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• zz.jpg
    zz.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 1,288

snake35

Jul 25, 2005
West Virginia
Great research. I hunt old caves here in Eastern Kentucky. Now I go with a partner, when I was young and foolish iwent alone. It is great fun but dangerous. Good luck.

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
While we are on the subject of caves in Kentucky...

Anyone know what the BIGGEST natural cave in Kentucky is? HINT- it is NOT Mammoth Cave... that is a cave SYSTEM. This is a single self-contained cave that is not known to connect to any other caves although there are MANY other caves in the area... and VERY significant to the treasure seeker.

Another hint... it has a major flow of water inside of it that exits through a hole in the side of the mountain quite a distance from the entrance to fall as a waterfall into a creek where the water just disappears into the creek bed and does not surface in the creek for several hundred feet.

Last hint... this cave has STRONG connections to one of the two groups of John Swift's lost silver mines (which are "lost" no longer).

DC

diggummup

Gold Member
Jul 15, 2004
Somewhere in the woods
Detector(s) used
Whites M6
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnOldPro said:

Anyone know what the BIGGEST natural cave in Kentucky is? HINT- it is NOT Mammoth Cave... that is a cave SYSTEM. This is a single self-contained cave that is not known to connect to any other caves although there are MANY other caves in the area... and VERY significant to the treasure seeker.

Another hint... it has a major flow of water inside of it that exits through a hole in the side of the mountain quite a distance from the entrance to fall as a waterfall into a creek where the water just disappears into the creek bed and does not surface in the creek for several hundred feet.

Last hint... this cave has STRONG connections to one of the two groups of John Swift's lost silver mines (which are "lost" no longer).

DC
It'd be in Bowlng Green,Lost River?

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Nope, NOT Lost River... guess again, diggumup!

Hint... closest big city in Kentucky would be Lexington but... it is not in that county.

DC

PS~I have been in this cave on several occasions and done extensive exploration and it does indeed live up to its billing as a huge cave.

kybowhunter

Feb 22, 2006
Detector(s) used
F75 / M6 / Cortes
I believe the cave Floyd was trapped in is now a part of Mammoth Cave National Park which would be a no no for detecting.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Maybe I know the answer to the riddle. Is it a cave known as "sinks and rises" just outside of Madison County?

Buckleboy

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
Hmmmm.... apparently the biggest natural cave in Kentucky is one of the best kept secrets in the state. Nice tries, folks but nobody got it.

The answer is... Ta Da..... WIND CAVE in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Jackson County... closest city of any size, McKee.

It has been a few years since I have been there but I hear rumors that the National Park Service has closed off access at the entrance because of a bunch of occaultists holding wierd rites there and defacing the walls.

Turns out that one of John Swift's silver mines is in Wind Cave... but thats another story.... one I'm going to tell at the conference this coming Sunday.

There are MANY other secrets to be discovered in the area immediately surrounding the cave. It is a wild, rugged and beautiful area... and somewhat remote... one of the most impressive in all KY in my book. Highly recommend it for exploring but... leave your detector at home cause the Feds will get you if they catch you with one there.

DC

mark.

Apr 13, 2006
diggummup said:
AnOldPro said:

DC
It'd be in Bowlng Green,Lost River?

No, it's probably Carter Caves, a place we take our Boy Scout Troop annually to go caving............see ya mark

w4wxr

Greenie
Sep 6, 2011
Keavy , Ky
Detector(s) used
ACE 250
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
AnOldPro said:
Hmmmm.... apparently the biggest natural cave in Kentucky is one of the best kept secrets in the state. Nice tries, folks but nobody got it.

The answer is... Ta Da..... WIND CAVE in the Daniel Boone National Forest in Jackson County... closest city of any size, McKee.

It has been a few years since I have been there but I hear rumors that the National Park Service has closed off access at the entrance because of a bunch of occaultists holding wierd rites there and defacing the walls.

Turns out that one of John Swift's silver mines is in Wind Cave... but thats another story.... one I'm going to tell at the conference this coming Sunday.

There are MANY other secrets to be discovered in the area immediately surrounding the cave. It is a wild, rugged and beautiful area... and somewhat remote... one of the most impressive in all KY in my book. Highly recommend it for exploring but... leave your detector at home cause the Feds will get you if they catch you with one there.

DC
Are you certain of the caves length, I believe that Mammoth would be larger with it's 355 miles of passages and then there is the Sloans system which is 26 miles of mapped passages and then the Well's system with over 11 miles of passages..
I know that Wind Cave is there, but have never been in it, I just never knew it was so large, Looks like a fall trip for the SKSC to check.

Thanks

Attachments

• SKSCrnd.gif
    SKSCrnd.gif
    35.3 KB · Views: 522

The_Frontiersman

May 22, 2009
Eastern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garret Ace - 250
Primary Interest:
Other
Would love to hear a little more on the connection with Swift's Silver Mines. I tromp all over the hills in and around the area in discussion and am die hard on the Swift stuff. Care to share some more???

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions