"COLD TURKEY" (Hunting) Can Taste Mighty Good !!!

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
"COLD TURKEY" (Hunting) Can Taste Mighty Good !!!

Greetings again, fellow Kaintucks... ESPECIALLY you newbies...

Now sit up and pay attention and let the old pro blather on for a few lines about something that might put a smile on your face and some of those two metals we all love so much... i.e. gold and silver... with VERY old dates on them.... in your pocket, pouch or find bag.

I did not get a chance due to time constraints at the KARRA Conference to address this method of finding good, VERY old and... more importantly... UNTOUCHED sites to detect but I feel that it should have been and posting here is the best way I know to "git er done". So, here goes:

Let me preface my comments by saying that if you are one of those hunters that gets very upset if you aren't digging coins within 15 minutes of the time you start to swing your detector on any search you undertake then this method is NOT for you.... go away! :-\ BUT.... if, on the other hand, you are by nature a person who is willing to risk a few dry runs in order to find sites with both coins, relics and potential caches that have NEVER been searched before I think I can help. :o

We all know what going "cold turkey" means. Often many of us do it in relation to finding sites to hunt with mixed results... usually mostly "turkey feathers" instead of the "meat". Well, I have found one type of "cold turkey" metal detecting that has consistently given me more "meat" than feathers" and this is what I want to share with you.

The wooded hills and mountains are FULL of old house and cabin sites... both close by where you live and also back in the most remote regions you can find to get into. The vast majority.... surely in the tens of thousands if not hundreds of thousands.... never show up on any map, old or new. But.... nonetheless.... they sit quietly in their locations seldom seen by anyone other than the occasional gun or bow hunter. And... the best part.... their moldering remains... sometimes clearly marked by piles of chimney stones or old root cellars or a few pieces of various metal objects like roofing tin sticking up above the forest floor... and sometimes invisible to all but the probing rays of the metal detector... their "treasures"... large or small... few or many... still sleep intact around or in their remains awaiting "resurrection" to the light of day at the hand of an intrepid detectorist. (Now aint that fancy prose...? I oughta write a book! ;) )

After a few experimental trips to search for some of these "unknown" sites in the hills of Northern Kentucky beginning back in the late 80's I discovered that their placement followed certain patterns... if they were really old... water, defensibility from the Indians, shelter from the worst of the weather, proximity to a road in order to get their crops to market if it was a farm... had been taken into consideration when the site had been chosen. But.... I also found cabin sites that had been deliberately put where they would be hidden from almost all other people... the owner(s) being recluses for one of several reasons.... they were crooks, bootleggers, hated other people, etc. Always check around the immediate area of these remote sites for the remains of a still... look for a nearby spring that would supply the necessary good water for the operation thereof. If you find a still site SEARCH IT CAREFULLY AND THOROUGHLY and probably, eventually, on one of these sites you will find a fruit jar or two with GOOD coins in it.

Once I became familiar with the pattern of where I WAS MOST LIKELY TO FIND AN UNKNOWN CABIN SITE when I went "cold turkey" through the wooded hills and valleys it was seldom that I did NOT find at least one new site to hunt every time I went out. AND..... on RARE occasions I actually found the remains of now unknown little communities long gone to the termites and weather. At these places I would have sometimes as many as a DOZEN old UNTOUCHED house sites and/or BUSINESS sites.... as in HOTEL, GENERAL STORE, etc.

The key is this... IF you are willing to experience a few dry runs when you start using this method to find untouched sites.... IF you are willing to PATIENTLY and THOROUGHLY.... WORK these sites that you find.... NOT giving each one a "15 minute lick and a promise" search before moving on but dogging it for several hours using LOW DISCRIMINATION... eliminating tin foil only and digging all signals above that range... I am POSITIVE that next year at the winter conference you will have treasures to display at SHOW-N'-TELL that will make us all sit up and take notice!

How about it, fellow detectorists.... think you can learn to like "cold turkey" treasure sandwiches? ;) I sure do!

Remember... the FOUNDATION of GOOD LUCK is being a GOOD hunter!

Happy trails!

DC

buscadero

Bronze Member
Jul 16, 2006
Corpus Christi, Tx.
Detector(s) used
Garrett Ace 250
Re: "COLD TURKEY" (Hunting) Can Taste Mighty Good !!!

DC: Very interesting & informative Post! It got me thinking! Thank you!

HH Joe

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky

Dorian is absolutely correct about the locations of these older homes. As a deer and turkey hunter, I have stumbled upon 6 old home sites within walking distance of my house. I have asked many an old timer around here why in the world would people build homes in these remote areas. The answers are surprising! Being superstitious had alot to do with! Some farmers actually thought they would have better crops in the hills because their farm was closer to Heaven.

I believe it had more to do with the price of land myself. Hilly country was about all that a poor Kentucky farmer could afford. Either way, yes, there are homes in them hills.

sixguns

Oct 19, 2006
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's Prizm V
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I get the "swelling" in my head to go down from all that I learned at the conference, and now its starting to fill up again, thanks DC, another great piece of advice to go along with what I learned Sunday, thanks again....

pacman

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI

Many thanks for the many wise words. That's my style of huntin. Just hope you haven't already been through Lewis Co. ;)

OP
OP
AnOldPro

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6

Looks like you're in trouble, bud....

My wife and I bought 33 acres of Lewis County exactly one year ago tomorrow. Once I get through swinging my detector all over the county there its gonna look like the land that General Sherman left behind him in his famous march to the sea. ;)

Well... that might be a bit of an exaggeration. I'll try to leave all the clad coins for you. ;D

Dorian

mxtswinger

Jul 27, 2006
Northeast KY
Detector(s) used
2 Whites MXT's Goldscan 5 PI

Oh no. Not another furriner. Guess I better get off my winter a$$ and get busy. ;) Actually, I've already "hunted out" your 33 acres and moved on to greener pastures :D

Thanks a bunch for the generous offer of clad. Unfortunately, I've modded my detectors to ignore it.

Happy Swingin
Kevin

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread