nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
Hey Dave, there are some really nice places to stay here in Kentucky on State land, plenty to see with History throughout and the wildlife walking throughout the parks, but Metal Detecting on any State land will probably find you in jail and the new laws will NOT even permit you to metal detect the city parks.

str8flexed

Dec 28, 2013
Evansville, Indiana
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT PRO; Garrett Pro Pointer; Bazooka Mini Gold Trap
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hello everyone, I am Dave from MI. and love to metal detect, and plan on visiting and camp on state land.
can someone fill me in on the laws for state land finds in your beautiful state. any help would be great
Thanks
Dave

Where at in KY are you staying? I've just right across the river in Indiana, so if you are in the Henderson/Owensboro area maybe we could go hunting.

Ky Ed

Jan 15, 2010
Louisville, Ky
Detector(s) used
Minelab
I talked to Elaine Walker, State Commissioner of the State Parks, And after many meetings, has agrees to a trial, metal detecting , in E.P. Tom Sawyer Park in Louisville Ky. I have a permission letter that I can Email you so no one will bother you while you hunt. This is the only state park we can hunt in at this present time. We went before the Senate Committee to get permission to hunt in this Park. After this trial is over, we may be able to hunt another. We can only hope. Some of the Park rangers may threaten you with arrest as they don't even know we are allowed to metal detect in E.P. Tom Sawyer park. If you want a copy, please let me know and I will be glad to email you one. Thanks Ky. Ed

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
.... but Metal Detecting on any State land will probably find you in jail and the new laws will NOT even permit you to metal detect the city parks.

Nova-treasure, I realize this post of yours is old, but .... if you happen to read this thread again:

Where, pray-tell, are you getting this information that state laws subrogate down to even city-level parks ? I believe you are mistaken. Yes there was some archie or two in KY trying to SAY that, but they were/are mis-informed. I can link you to a discussion thread on this, if you like, where the issue was put to rest.

goosefour

Nov 13, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nova-treasure, I realize this post of yours is old, but .... if you happen to read this thread again:

Where, pray-tell, are you getting this information that state laws subrogate down to even city-level parks ? I believe you are mistaken. Yes there was some archie or two in KY trying to SAY that, but they were/are mis-informed. I can link you to a discussion thread on this, if you like, where the issue was put to rest.

i have not been able to find any current info on this issue the old info stated that the City of Louisville Banned metal detecting in city parks. and that ban was still in effect in 2012..... do you have some documentation showing that this is not so?? I have just ordered my first metal detector and want to know what the laws really are and it's difficult to tell online.

thanks in advance for any help

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have been detecting a city park in a small town in KY. The park is right beside the police station. The police come and go, I always wave at them and they wave back. I am sure there is no law against detecting in my home town.
You need to be careful on any State Park, some may let you, others will stop you at the least, ticket or worse if they are in a bad mood. I would say stay off State Parks.
Also, I am very careful in the park. When I leave, you can't tell I have ever been there.

Tom_in_CA

Gold Member
Mar 23, 2007
Salinas, CA
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
Explorer II, Compass 77b, Tesoro shadow X2
i have not been able to find any current info on this issue the old info stated that the City of Louisville Banned metal detecting in city parks. and that ban was still in effect in 2012..... do you have some documentation showing that this is not so?? I have just ordered my first metal detector and want to know what the laws really are and it's difficult to tell online.

thanks in advance for any help

You are talking a horse of a different color. To ask about "one specific city" (Louisville), versus just "public land in general" for KY.

I have no doubt that there could be individual cities, in various states, that have dreamed up a "no detecting" rule. But my beef was with the notion that *JUST* because there's a rule for a state's state parks, that it doesn't necessarily mean that it subrogates down to other forms of public land (city and county). That's not to say that some individual city hasn't dreamed it up though.

So I wasn't saying that Louisville parks are or aren't open to md'ing.

As for other cities and types of land around you, if you have any questions, float it on the "legal issues" section of T'net.

nova treasure

Bronze Member
Mar 2, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Whites
Primary Interest:
Relic Hunting
I Personally do not search parks, I am more into the pre 1800 sites. I do have some friends that have hunted parks and told me they were told to Leave several parks in the Louisville area because it was forbidden. I would try notifying a local detecting club and/or ask the city parks dept. which parks are open to detecting.

patiodadio

Feb 28, 2014
KY
Detector(s) used
Whites 4000D
Garrett ATPro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I sent him a PM a week or more ago asking if he ever made it to KY. Haven't heard back from him yet.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions