New member from Elizabethtown Area

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Greetings Kentuckians. I just joined the site a few months ago and am getting ready to buy my first detector. If anyone lives near the Etown area, I'd like to start making some friends to hunt with. I'm married with 2 young children so I won't be able to go out terribly often but am hoping to get at least one hunt in a month during the spring and summer months. If there's anyone in my area that's experienced, I would appreciate learning from you as well in terms of research methods you use and what you look for when you visit sites. I'm an easy going guy and a Christian as well. I look forward to building some relationships with you guys.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Wait until you make that first great find...one hunt a month turns into one hunt a week...lol! Welcome to the site. What detectors are you looking at as possible purchase?

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Garret AT Pro. Looking at buying from Anthony's Detectors from the site here. He's been really helpful answering my questions and whatnot and gives a discount on everything to TNet members. He recommended getting a 5" x 8.5" coil instead of a pro pointer to start as the benefit the smaller coil will give me in trashier areas outweighs the benefits of the "nice-to-have" pro pointer. Now the only thing I'm concerned about is getting into the game too late. I already have a few areas I think may yield some good results but I don't know if they've been hit before. The other thing I haven't been able to figure out yet is how to find homesteads and important areas off the beaten path. I plan to check out the locally stored Sanborn records and have seen some old maps but the old maps I look at usually only show the main town, not buildings on side roads a little ways from town. Anyway, thanks for the welcome. I figure I'll either (1) get someone to respond to my post and want to partner up or (2) I'll find out no one is really working the areas I'm after and will find some good things.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Wise choice if you go the AT Pro route. I have to agree with the pointer advice, I've never used one. It would only slow me down if I had one. It's hard to find someone that will share a site(s) with you. Most of the detectorists I've encountered are fairly tight lipped. You'll have better luck finding a partner if you are willing to share one of your sites up front and then keep your fingers crossed for reciprocation. Keep your eyes peeled here in the Ky Forum, every now and then a group hunt comes about. You'll do fine on your own. Post some of your finds and you'll have "buddies" beating your door down...lol.

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
That's cool. I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm a little worried about my research capabilities at first but I'm sure a little experience will help with those fears. And thanks for the topo map. What program/service do you use to acquire your topo maps? And by the way, how do you read them? LOL. I've seen historic maps of Etown specifically but haven't considered a topo map before. What should I look for?

Weborigination

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hunter bound... I'm in the same position as you. Just joined the site, but have been following along for a while. I also have a family and have not purchased a detector yet. (Thinking I'll go with the AT Pro though.)

At any rate, I'm in Louisville. Send me a PM if you'd like to get together sometime.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
That's cool. I appreciate the vote of confidence. I'm a little worried about my research capabilities at first but I'm sure a little experience will help with those fears. And thanks for the topo map. What program/service do you use to acquire your topo maps? And by the way, how do you read them? LOL. I've seen historic maps of Etown specifically but haven't considered a topo map before. What should I look for?

The maps are free, just gotta dig em out of google and/or yahoo. The map that I posted has a zoom function, have you tried that yet?! Pretty awesome. This topo map shows roads, homesites, etc....can't imagine a better map for your area.

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Haven't tried the zoom features yet. I figured a topo map would just show the layout of the land itself, not manmade structures. I'll play around with it and see what I can find. Thanks again.

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey hunter bound... I'm in the same position as you. Just joined the site, but have been following along for a while. I also have a family and have not purchased a detector yet. (Thinking I'll go with the AT Pro though.)

At any rate, I'm in Louisville. Send me a PM if you'd like to get together sometime.

Awesome. I'll definitely keep you in mind. I haven't looked for areas as far north as Louisville yet. I figured I should start in either my town or surrounding small towns first until I get the hang of it a bit. :)

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Haven't tried the zoom features yet. I figured a topo map would just show the layout of the land itself, not manmade structures. I'll play around with it and see what I can find. Thanks again.

You haven't seen a topo map of the early 1900's then have ya?! LOL. I see about 50 schools on this map, any of those would be an excellent choice. Some of the homesites on the map look to be in hill country. It's likely those homes are no longer standing, that's were the topo part of the map helps. You can detect a slight rise or fall in the terrain and pinpoint these sites within minutes. I use a snipping tool to isolate the area on the map that I'm going to hunt, print it out on an 8x11 sheet of paper and take it with me in the field....instant land detective....

Last edited:

Weborigination

Tenderfoot
Feb 20, 2014
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Cool. I've always wanted to get into this hobby, but would prefer to have some friends to share ideas with. I'd be happy to drive to your location, so do keep me in mind!

OP
OP
H

Hunterhound

Jan 11, 2014
Kentucky
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Alright 1320, after looking over the map I have a few questions.

1. I assume the dots on the map signify residence? Is this true?
2. Do the double-dashed lines signify old country/dirt roads (i.e. less traveled)?
3. What do the numbers on the map mean such as 736 and 782 with Xs just above the East Rhodes Creek? Are these plat or some other land section numbers?
4. Regarding the solid line roads that shoot off of the state roads, I don't see any road names/numbers. Can I look these up on old highway/road maps and compare them with the topo or would it be obvious if I drove out there? An example is the road leading up to Carter School on the right side of the map between numbers 7 and 8.

And some general research questions..

When looking for places to hunt, do you stick to only topo maps or do you use Sanborn maps, plat and deed records from the county clerk's office, road and highway development maps, etc.? Also, do you ever dive into geneaological records for clarification on sites or to find places outside a main town/city to hunt? I could see civil war/American revolution travel notes to be handy but I could only see information about specific families useful for building a story behind an artifact found in a certain location. What are your thoughts.

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Alright 1320, after looking over the map I have a few questions.

1. I assume the dots on the map signify residence? Is this true?
2. Do the double-dashed lines signify old country/dirt roads (i.e. less traveled)?
3. What do the numbers on the map mean such as 736 and 782 with Xs just above the East Rhodes Creek? Are these plat or some other land section numbers?
4. Regarding the solid line roads that shoot off of the state roads, I don't see any road names/numbers. Can I look these up on old highway/road maps and compare them with the topo or would it be obvious if I drove out there? An example is the road leading up to Carter School on the right side of the map between numbers 7 and 8.

And some general research questions..

When looking for places to hunt, do you stick to only topo maps or do you use Sanborn maps, plat and deed records from the county clerk's office, road and highway development maps, etc.? Also, do you ever dive into geneaological records for clarification on sites or to find places outside a main town/city to hunt? I could see civil war/American revolution travel notes to be handy but I could only see information about specific families useful for building a story behind an artifact found in a certain location. What are your thoughts.

1. Dots represent a structure...most often house but a barn/storage building cannot be ruled out.
2. Other Main Travel Roads
3. Elevation and boundry marks (X and triangles = BM)
4. You can do both. I would venture to say that the roads are still the same today as they were when the map was created. You could also do a map overlay. You can do a search on this website for the popular overlay software/programs. What I use may not work for you.

General research questions: All of the above. I don't use each resource for every single place I detect but over the years, I have used one or more of the mentioned resources to help zoom in on a specific locale. I have used Civil War notes to pinpoint a skirmish site and yes...it is a story when you put it together in that manner. Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Kas

Bronze Member
Jan 3, 2007
Detector(s) used
Mx sport
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'm in Louisville and my girl has people in E-town I just moved here but don't know where to hunt....Do you have any spots?

beetleruss

Jul 13, 2013
Cental Kentucky
Detector(s) used
AT Pro, Pro Pointer
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Welcome to the Site Hunterhound. Sorry I am a little slow on the response but willing to help when I can.

KyTrout

Greenie
May 25, 2013
Shelbyville, Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Garrett ACE 350, Garrett AT Pro.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Weborigination. I live in Shelbyville and work as a Park Ranger at The Parklands of Floyds Fork just outside of Louisville. I'm not so new to metal detecting, but have learned a lot off this site and here and there from people. Hunterhound part of my service area for my other job is etown, so I'm down there often. I would be happy to spread some information to both of y'all. Most of my hunting has been done in South Carolina where I'm originally from. Lots of things to find there! Just moved to Shelbyville and looking for places to hunt. This time of the year is a good time to detect old parks. Less people and the cold weather will keep questions few.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread