Detecting around Lexington?

Scott-N-TN

Nov 29, 2015
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
We recently (two years ago) moved my wife's parents from DC to Lexington to be closer to the rest of the family. We are from TN (Corryton) and visit the Lexington area frequently.
Can anyone put me on some land to detect?
I am still trying to find places to go and haven't been successful with anything yet. Im also still confused as to what if any state owned lands are available (looks like none are).
My wife and i travel to Lexington about 2-3 times a month.
Thanks and happy hunting!

Silver Member
Dec 10, 2004
East Central Kentucky
Permissions in Lexington are hard to come by and in all my years, I haven't found too many locals willing to share (including me....lol). I doubt you're gonna get many takers to put you on land to detect in Lexington proper. The City code says no detecting in city parks however, many do and wave at the cops while doing so. The parks have been pounded hard over the years so I wouldn't waste my time in them unless looking for modern coins/relics. There are some great sites in Lexington but you'll have to earn them the old fashion way....build relationships. I've had much better luck securing permission in the counties around Fayette: Clark, Montgomery and Scott. On down the road, Bath, Menifee and Powell. The sites aren't as pounded and the land owners are much more personable. If you have the time to take a short road trip while you're in town, you'll probably do much better by getting out of Lexington. I can help you with some old maps and possibly point you in the direction of some landowners if that would help.

State lands....hell no.

Do you have any land that you're willing to share with other detectorists? If so, a swap hunt might be another approach to consider.

Welcome to Tnet!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread