new hunter looking to start getting into it any tips

jeff101

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2007
Lexington, Kentucky
OK, I'm17,i am a new treasure hunter from the Lexington area, and i am trying to get started. i have a beginners metal detector and am looking for any locations or help full tips about places to look or any stories about where to find stuff or anything helpful you can provide would be gladly appreciated.
i started about a year ago and the first time i tried to use it was messin my back yard and found a solid gold cross with diamonds on it
worth about $700
i have been hooked ever since
so yeah if u have any helpful ideas i would appreciate it very much

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Nice! My son is getting ready to turn 17 and he loves this stuff! Can you post a pic?

Sincerely,
Cavers5

CanUDigIt

Oct 1, 2007
Chester County, PA
Detector(s) used
Minelab X-Terra 30
Wow Jeff, you are off to a great start. There are plenty of forums for MD tips, site leads and plenty of experienced people for your questions. Welcome to TNet! Looking forward to your posts!

L

LandStar

Hi Jeff:

I would say your off to a Fantastic start...$700 cross...that would have paid for my detector 3 times over...LOL...Fill us in a little more on your detector and your general location...Some folks on here might even be close to ya...And by all means, I want to see a picture of that cross...
There are tons of folks right here who can help you out with most any question...Welcome Aboard Mate!

LandStar

OP
OP
jeff101

jeff101

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2007
Lexington, Kentucky
i appreciate it everyone
i live very close to down town lexington
my metal detector is a very cheap bounty hunter.
about $100 or so
and i was wrong about the cross
it wasnt $700 it was more like $500 and some change but still a good find i haven't doing anything with the metal detector for a while but i plan on it when it gets warmer
but if anyone in the lexington region or surrounding countys have info on good places to hunt
i have been down to boonesboro park and hunted a little
nothin good but i did come out with about $5 in quarters lol
any info would be helpfull
thanks

Attachments

• metal detector pic 1.jpg
    metal detector pic 1.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 220

RON (PA)

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2004
Pittsburgh, Pa
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Compadre & Tiger Shark
Welcome aboard, Glad to have you with us. This is a great site with great people. Don't be afraid to ask us any questions about metal detecting or treasure hunting.

I would dig every signal (hunting in all metal mode) until you get used to the sounds that you machine makes and what they mean.

OP
OP
jeff101

jeff101

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2007
Lexington, Kentucky
im used to what each signal means
the different tones mean iron or nickel or silver
i just kinda need help on how to research places to look and where good places would be and just any tips u experts have

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
tracker IV ? from bounty hunter ---if not which one? --- bounty hunters can make good finds --- while not the best --they are decent lil machines when used correctly --- often we work our way up the detector "food chain"---- often using the money from selling our finds (like the cross) to pay for bigger / better gear --that way there is no out of pocket cost to us --- Ivan

sonny60

Jul 20, 2007
Falmouth, Ky.
Detector(s) used
Whites XLT
You were lucky you didn't get in trouble at Boonesboro State Park. State parks are a no-no. Try Woodland Park, Castlewood Park, and any other parks in town. there are many of them. If you live near downtown, there are lots of old houses there. Just ask for permission. Always refill your holes. There are lots of schools in Lexington also. they are not off limits to detecting. I was raised in Lexington and started my detecting there. There is no limit to the places to hunt. Good luck

OP
OP
jeff101

jeff101

Tenderfoot
Nov 20, 2007
Lexington, Kentucky
i was on the beach when i was at boonesboro so i mean i was digging in sand
it filled right back in
so
i havent been out there since then
i think that is the bounty hunter i have im not sure though
ill have to look

cavers5

Feb 16, 2005
Try to find a hunting partner. It's fun to go by yourself sometimes, but it's also fun to have a partner!

Good luck!

Cavers5

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread