GOLD PANNING

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
White's MXT; backup - BH Pioneer 505
Primary Interest:
Other
There is gold in every state, but only two states have never had a commercial gold venture - KY and HI! However, there is a little yeller to be found in KY. It is remotely possible that minute, noncommercial amounts of gold could be found in glacial outwash deposits along the Ohio River Valley. Look on the Commonwealth side of the river from Cincinnatti down towards Louisville, basically North of I-71. Also, I have read that some very fine gold can be found in the Estill County, KY area.

And, of course, there is Ft. Knox!

Good luck! Let us know if you find any!

K

Kentucky Kache

Someone told me not long ago that they knew someone who was finding gold here. I don't know the details, but it might be worth searching.

Lookin, do you play Monroe style?

OP
OP
H

HORSE

Feb 14, 2008
Thanks guys. lookin i like the picture his homeplace isn't far from me.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
I listen to and pick Bluegrass music, but I play guitar, not mandolin like Mr. Monroe did.

I will be doing some prospecting this spring, up in Indiana, but have been looking at maps and hope to hit some creeks here in Kentucky. I'm going to check Northeast of Louisville, as I believe at least one glacier came down into what is now this side of the river. Similar to the glacial gold found in IN, that area might have some, as well.

Good luck!

OP
OP
H

HORSE

Feb 14, 2008
If I remember right from college, and I dont remember much, the small range of hills below louisville, I think the range is called the horse shoe hills, was formed by glaciers.

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Horse, I believe the hills in the Louisville area are primarily limestone. So I don't know if the hills were actually formed by glaciers, but the surrounding landscape might have been cut out of the hill from glacial waters. They are definitely not the morain type of materials.

As far as where there is or isn't gold in KY (or anywhere), as they say - gold is where you find it!

For getting started, you only need a gold pan, a sucker bottle to suck up whatever gold you find, and then something to put it into, like a vile. Wading boots and a hand trowel or shovel help, too! Search online, as you can find cheap pans and other accessories. There is lots of information available on techniques, where to look in a creek, etc online.

If you get out to do some prospecting, let us all know what you find. I plan to get out a bit this spring, so I will do the same on what I find.

In the meantime, I'm just taking advantage of some of the warmer days when the ground is thawed to swing the MD a bit. Found 62 cents in modern clad yesterday evening with about one hour of searching. I had searched in the same area a month or so ago and came up with a silver quarter and 7 wheat cents. Not that good of luck last night, though.

Good luck!

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
horse, call mike of mikes detectors in Georgetown Indiana,he's up on the gold
prospecting,has equipment and accessories,he may be able to put you onto a stream or nearby creek.

mark

OP
OP
H

HORSE

Feb 14, 2008
thanks man I'll have to check him out the next time I go to louisville

Lookin

Feb 15, 2008
Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
Other
Horse - If you are in the Ohio Co. area, I believe that isn't far from Grayson Co. A good source tells me that gold can be found there! Good luck with your searching! I'm going to check a promising looking creek tomorrow evening in Bullitt Co. I'll let you know what I find or don't find. Of course, this current weather might put a hold on my plans. Maybe the ice will let up before tomorrow.

BuckleBoy

Gold Member
Jun 12, 2006
Moonlight and Magnolias
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
Fisher F75, Whites DualField PI, Fisher 1266-X and Tesoro Silver uMax
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HORSE said:
thanks man I'll have to check him out the next time I go to louisville

His detector shop is about 30 minutes' drive away from Louisville--and it ain't easy to find. Make sure you get his number and get directions before you go. He's the most into gold panning and prospecting of anyone around here that I can think of.

-Buckleboy

weldermark

Jan 17, 2005
LOU-EVIL KY
Detector(s) used
white's DFX
Horse, get directions like Buckleboy said.............i missed the turn,looked like an alley!?!?!? then a local guy helped me find it,sure is pretty country.

Mark

matrix master DBA

Jan 29, 2008
Southern Indiana
Detector(s) used
Whites Mxt Pro + Tesoro Sand Shark
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was watching gold fever the other day and tom was in kentucky and he did find yellow gold in the bluegrass. He was in Caneyville Kentucky the place was called Pine Knob. He pulled up a grass root wad and got about 20 pieces of collor and 1 small picker. I live in southern indiana and prospect in central indiana. If anyone goes there and has any luck in caneyville post some pics.

Steve

B1u3Dr4g0n1

Banned
Mar 14, 2010
Earth
Detector(s) used
Garrett ace 250 with Sniper & DD coil with a Sun Ray Probe ,BountyHunter 101/BountyHunter pinpointer Dredge/highbanker combo, Mini Trommel, Blue Bowl and other stuff I dont use very often..lol
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I pan in Indiana..there is gold here

kentuckycowboy2

Greenie
Jan 24, 2009
Eastern Ky
Detector(s) used
Discovery 1100 , Ace 250
Just wondering if anyone has had any luck panning the rivers or creeks coming out of the Breaks of VA on the KY side ? Is there possible any other minerals of interest that might be located in this area anyone knows of ?
Thanks John

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread