John Murrell treasure in Madison County, TN

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Minelab Sov / Fisher CZ-70 Pro/Fisher CZ 20
Hi. I am originaly from Mcnairy (Milledgeville) but have moved to Texas in 99. I have a copy of the treasure atlas for Tennesseee and it has the Murrell legend for Denmark in it. It says that a cabin in Denmark was Murrells HQ for some time and that he cached some ill gotten gains near it. Any way if you can obtain a copy of the Atlas it will have a little blurb to say on it. I am sorry I can't remember it in better detail. Good luck and I hope you hit the motherlode.

OP
OP
vettebabe5

vettebabe5

Apr 6, 2007
Jackson, TN
Thanks fomocofords. I will try to get a copy of the treasure atlas. I don't knwo many peoplearound Denmark who have heard about John Murell, and those who have don't know anything about a treasure near Denmark.

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Sorry but I forgot to look in the Atlas last night. I did take a look on ebay and found United States treasure atlas #9 Tennessee. Texas, and Utah for 14.00 in the ebay store. None on auction right now. Bud I saw a buy it now for the entire set of 10 for 34.00 and someone with 9 of the 10 books for auction for 14.00 with no bids. After I bought my first one for 9.00 I liked it so much I bought the entire set a year ago on ebay for 55.00. With Kentucky, Mississippi, Missouri, Arkansas, and Alabama so close to Jackson, buying the entire set at these prices might be the way to go. Hey the nine books cost almost the same as the one in the store. Just a suggestion to a fellow Tennessean and MD'er. The Vol's are breakin my heart this year, but the Titans shore ain't!! ;D

bill Matteson

Nov 20, 2008
John Murrell lived and robbed along the Natchez trace which started in Tenn.and ended in Natchez Miss. Murrell built a few underground "vaults to hide his loot in. one in Tenn, one in Miss.one in Missouri
and one in Illinois..
When Mark Twain wrote Tom Sawyer and Tom and Becky thatcher were missing in a cave, Tom
found the treasure of the Pirate Murrell.
Twain spent considerable time looking for lost treasure in and around the Illinois and Missouri areas
John Murrell, in addition to robbing the Natchez trace also worked up and down the Mississippi river
when one area got to hot he simply moved to another one.
I have looked for and I am still lookin for his Illinois vault..
can't wait till spring
prof bill

21stTNCav

Apr 11, 2006
Tennessee/Texas
Detector(s) used
Hey Bill: I hope for your good luck in the spring. I am going to check out a area during the Holidays back in Tennessee, but not the one in Denmark. I hope I find the golden ring, and I hope you find your too. CAB

Gabedubois

Jun 26, 2019
Primary Interest:
Other
Hey all,
I'm a producer at a production company and I'm currently looking for people who are actively searching for John Murrel's treasure, or have searched for it in the past. If so, let me know, I'd love to talk to you more about the subject for a project I'm working on.

drakes

Tenderfoot
Jul 18, 2019
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,
I'm a producer at a production company and I'm currently looking for people who are actively searching for John Murrel's treasure, or have searched for it in the past. If so, let me know, I'd love to talk to you more about the subject for a project I'm working on.

I've been internet reading off and on for a couple of years and just getting back into it. I'm hopefully going to do some physical archival research ASAP in TN.

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What is the latest news? I would think by now, one of us would had found John treasures. Good luck and good hunting.

PhoenixRDM

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey all,

Hey there, Gabe!

I’ve been messing around online the past week looking into unsolved mysteries. I just stumbled upon a map of 130+ US treasures online, and it shows Murrell buried quite a lot of treasure somewhere in Denmark. I live in Memphis, and I actually recently graduated from a University in Madison County where this Murrell treasure is supposed to be hidden. If I can find any leads, I’m going to make a quick day trip over there sometime. Have you found any info on this?

PhoenixRDM

Jul 19, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guys, I hate to say this but don’t waste your time looking for any treasures involving John Murrell. After a little research, I found that he was basically a poor, low-level criminal. Someone turned him in to the police, claiming he committed a bunch of crimes. Then, the guy who turned him in wrote a book that portrayed Murrell as a criminal mastermind - but in reality he was a nobody, and apparently everybody that knew him knew he wasn’t capable of anything in the book. However, the book got a lot of publicity and the legend of John Murrell was created.

Here’s the link to what I read: http:// https://www.jstor.org/stable/42626808

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread