KGC Compass Help

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
K

Kentucky Kache

Don't expect the compass to go crazy, sometimes you get just a slight movement of the needle. Also, you have to be pretty close to the object.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ok...I just dont understand. If I am walking the line with a compass,its going to naturally waver a bit....I am standing over an iron door and its not even moving......how did these guys find this before detectors.....I have read numerous accounts of the signs being detected with a compass.....but I cant imagine now that a compass would pick up nails,bits of wire or half a horseshoe.....
If anyone can enlighten me I would be grateful.

Rob in KS

Aug 21, 2006
Middle of Kansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Several people on T-Net have said that it doesn't work. I haven't tried it thought. It would have to be almost on the surface. Maybe set up an experiment and mount the compass to hold it still and then move the iron. See how close you have to get. Then we'll have a definitive answer.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D :coffee2: :tongue3: :thumbsup: They PROBABLY used "Spanish Dip Needles" Compasses, which are MADE of IRON and "magnetic", and will "DIP". :D :wink: :coffee2: :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Ok...that makes sense....but I have read several articles and books that refer to a compass and not Spanish Dips
In Bob Brewers book he talks about using a compass and how it gyrated over iron.....I am just trying to sort out facts here and need to know....of course I am using a detector to walk the lines and not relying on a compass

K

Kentucky Kache

I believe it would have to be something very large to have a big influence on your compass. Put it over your car hood...beside your car. Then put it over and beside a small object and see what I mean. And that's just air tests. Unless the object is huge, you pretty much have to be right up on it.

Siegfried Schlagrule

Bronze Member
Mar 19, 2003
Indiana
Detector(s) used
All types of BFOs owned. Especially want White's Arrow; White's Oremaster; Exanimo Spartan Little Monster; Garrett contract Little Monster.
Rebel - KGC said:
;D Well, I've never seen an OLD compass, before; were they more "metalic"? ???

The oldest compass was a lodestone hanging from a strip of rawhide and was used for navigation by the vikings. I don't know that a steel door or a steel car hood in the air would deflect a compass. I do know that iron will atract and rusty iron in the ground will really attract. siegfried schlagrule

K

Kentucky Kache

Siegfried Schlagrule said:
Rebel - KGC said:
;D Well, I've never seen an OLD compass, before; were they more "metalic"? ???

The oldest compass was a lodestone hanging from a strip of rawhide and was used for navigation by the vikings. I don't know that a steel door or a steel car hood in the air would deflect a compass. I do know that iron will atract and rusty iron in the ground will really attract. siegfried schlagrule

As for the car, anyone can see for themselves. I don't say it's necessarily the hood itself, but something in the car influences a compass. Try it.

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
Thanks for the info. I cannot seem to get a normal compass to move over any size iron and I cannot figure out why so many articles on KGC say that they can.

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
HI LUV: If'n you agree to sail off to my hdiden tropical island with me, after you find your treasure, I will cut loose with a bit of information.

Don Jose de La Mancha (el lamb in wolf's clothing)

" I exist to LIVE, not live to exist"

K

Kentucky Kache

boattow said:
I think the question is not whether a car will move the compass but will a horseshoe or an axe head move it.

Then why was it questioned? ;D No one is looking for a buried car, that just came up in the discussion. If you're gonna use an instrument, it makes sense to try it out and see how it works (or don't work) on different size objects.

K

Kentucky Kache

beale said:
Here is a test for a compass dip meter. Set your compass and hold it on due north, about 50 feet or more from an automobile, walked parallel with the automobile either on one side or the other, try 20 feet and then 15 or ten feet. You will find that the compass will not deviate until you are less than 5 feet.

Thanks Beale. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
Gypsy Heart

Gypsy Heart

Gold Member
Nov 29, 2005
Ozarks
I guess part of the reason I am questioning this, is to find out everything I can and to determine what to believe and what not to. I have read over and over about the KGC caches being tracked using a compass and that the compass will deviate over iron....and that the seekers would crawl the line looking for iron gyrations on the compass....before detectors were used......I just wanted to verify facts and sort the BS

and dear Jose....I dont know if I will be needing much information AFTER I find what I am looking for! LOL

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sigh, foiled again. That was as diplomatic a write off / shove off buster as I have received snifff I will think of my lost luv, you, as I sit forlornly at the helm of my schooner under the full tropical moon, in the soft warm air, smelling the delicate Frangipani and Jasmine as I sail between the other uninhabited islands on my way to my hidden tropical paradise A L O N E !! sigh snifff, What a waste of such a romantic time and area.snifff.

Don Jose de La mancha (el lamb in a wolf's clothing)

sniffer

Gold Member
Dec 31, 2006
Kansas
Detector(s) used
XP DEUS
folks, lets sit back and remember physics. for an object of mass or volume to overcome the natural pull of the earth's magnetic field, it would have to be huge or infused with a magnetic pull greater than already provided by mother earth

JMO

Nov 8, 2004
Alamos,Sonora,Mexico
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
REBEL: How can you laugh at true, unrequited love? sniff you would probably have gotten yer jolies watching poor Juliet and Romeo sigh

On second thought, do you know of any beautiful broads that would love this opportunity? You would of course be joining us. .

Don Jose de La Mancha (el frustrated Don Juan)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread