Confederate Gold Stories

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Confederate GOLD Stories...? Check Civil War "thread" on Civil War SUB-Forum... HH & Good Luck!

halo71

Jun 4, 2020
Lincolnton, GA.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Legend of the Lost Gold of the Confederacy

One of Washington County, Georgia's most lingering and possibly lucrative mysteries is that of the lost Confederate gold. Worth roughly $100,000 in 1865, when it disappeared, it would be a small fortune in today's dollars--around one million dollars.
On the night of May 24, 1865, two wagon trains filled with gold, one containing the last of the Confederate treasury and the other money from Virginia banks, were robbed at Chennault Crossroads in Lincoln County.

Chennault Plantation, owned by Dionysius Chennault who was an elderly planter and Methodist minister, played a significant role in the story. The gold was to be returned to France who had loaned the money to support the Confederacy. Jefferson Davis had given his word that the gold would be returned regardless of the outcome of the war. Towards the end of the war, Captain Parker of the Navy and a group of other volunteers brought the gold from Richmond, Virginia, to Anderson, South Carolina, by train and from there by wagon hoping to get to Savannah to load it on a waiting ship.

Parker was to camp outside Washington, Georgia, where he was to meet with Jefferson Davis and receive further instructions. Parker's group camped on the Chennault place and then received word to proceed on to Augusta and then Savannah, while avoiding contact with the large number of Union troops present in Georgia.

Accordingly the group set out on their assigned mission, but unfortunately their scouts met Union troops before they got to Augusta. The group returned to the Chennault Plantation. Parker was unable to receive further instructions from Davis because he had already left Washington. It was on this night that the gold disappeared in a hijacking about 100 yards from the porch of the house. One theory says that the treasure was buried at the confluence of the Apalachee and Oconee rivers. Some say that the gold was divided among the locals.

Union troops later came to the Chennault Plantation to find the gold. They tortured the occupants of the house trying to force them to reveal where the gold was hidden but to no avail. The entire Chennault family was taken to Washington, DC to undergo intensive interrogation. They were questioned thoroughly as to the whereabouts of the gold, but the Chennaults could not tell anything that was not already known. They were released a few weeks later and returned to their home in Georgia.

As time went by, the Chennault plantation became known as the "golden farm," and for many years after that people came there to search for the missing gold. Down through the years, many gold coins have been found along the dirt roads near the plantation following a heavy rain storm.

Legend persists that the treasure was hastily buried on the original grounds of Chennault Plantation and remains there today.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knight...Golden_Circle/_

I know this is an old thread. But...some things simply can not be true. I live in Lincoln county off Graball road. Within 2 miles of the modern day Chenault plantaion house (mansion). It was not built until a few years after the civil war was over. Many speculate the house was funded in part with the proceeds of the stolen confederate gold. The original Chenault house was very basic and located a few miles west of the present day mansion. Nothing but rock foundations are left today.

The Chenault house and mansion are located off of state highway 44. The mansion is located at 44 and state highway 79. Stories speak of the gold being stolen at the Chenault crossroads. Problem with that story is highway 79, running north and south today. Was not there back at the time the gold was stolen. 44 (east to west) ran from Wilkes county to the Savannah river at Hester's Ferry.

The road that came from Lincolnton to Hester's Ferry was about 5 miles farther east. What is present day Holiday Estates road. Which back then was known as something different. But when they made Clarks-Hill lake in the 1960's The water covered up some of the roadway from Lincolnton. Present day from Lincolnton on 79 to Chenault house crosses a bridge at Fishing Creek. So I've always wondered where the "Chenault Crossroads" were.

Last edited:

Honest Samuel

Banned
Sep 23, 2015
Connecticut
Detector(s) used
Minelab
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
By this time, this is really an old subject. Many has search and some had found. Good luck and good hunting. #1 seem like a book and great reading.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread. But...some things simply can not be true. I live in Lincoln county off Graball road. Within 2 miles of the modern day Chenault plantaion house (mansion). It was not built until a few years after the civil war was over. Many speculate the house was funded in part with the proceeds of the stolen confederate gold. The original Chenault house was very basic and located a few miles west of the present day mansion. Nothing but rock foundations are left today.

The Chenault house and mansion are located off of state highway 44. The mansion is located at 44 and state highway 79. Stories speak of the gold being stolen at the Chenault crossroads. Problem with that story is highway 79, running north and south today. Was not there back at the time the gold was stolen. 44 (east to west) ran from Wilkes county to the Savannah river at Hester's Ferry.

The road that came from Lincolnton to Hester's Ferry was about 5 miles farther east. What is present day Holiday Estates road. Which back then was known as something different. But when they made Clarks-Hill lake in the 1960's The water covered up some of the roadway from Lincolnton. Present day from Lincolnton on 79 to Chenault house crosses a bridge at Fishing Creek. So I've always wondered where the "Chenault Crossroads" were.

Where the bridge crosses Fishing Creek is a small restaurant. My brother and I ate there when we were down that way. Yes there is a lot wrong about the story. I hope to correct some of the story some day. I also hope to recover some of the missing gold. I know exactly how much Virginia Bank Gold is missing and how much Confederate Gold is missing from the robbery. I also have some good leads on where to find some of the lost gold. Send me a PM and maybe someday we can get together and find some of the Lost Gold? There was about 1,000 pounds of silver coins found on the Chennault property years ago. But you are right about the roads and the robbery. Actually there were five robberies of large amounts of gold near there.

franklin

Gold Member
Jun 1, 2012
Detector(s) used
Garrett ADS-7X, Fisher Two Box M-Scope, Mother Lode Locator, Dowsing Model 20 Electroscope, White's TM808, White's TM900, Inground Scanners
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a while since you were there. That place has been closed for at least 20 years I would think.

At least 10 years or more. Been a long time.

HonkeytonkMan

Jul 29, 2020
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I think Savanah and other parts of Georgia would probably be one of the best places to look for KGC gold, always seems to be a lot of whispers about Savanah. The Black Beard stuff though is most likely trash.

"During the Civil War, many citizens throughout the state of Georgia buried many of their valuable in fear of William Tecumseh Sherman’s men as they marched through the countryside. They left behind destruction everywhere they went. Many of these valuables have never been recovered as some of the owners died during the war."

"Lipscomb was a wealthy plantation owner that lived near LaGrange. He buried over $100,000 in gold and silver coins with the help of one of his servants prior to the Civil War. The servant would as he dug up the ground place small amounts of the money in various locations all over the plantation. Without the help of the servant, Lipscomb could not find his own coins. He then made a map with the servant so he could locate his treasure. He later passed away, his widow could not decipher the directions that were left behind, and the coins are still buried throughout the plantation."

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread