OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D STILL doing R & I; "googled" CASTROVILLE, TX... sounds like a NICE place; a bit different from the "rest of TX", in that FRENCH (France) "influence" is indicated in "early
history". I also read that TX had 32 Castles of the Knights of the Golden Circle, hence the term
"HOT-BED" of KGC activity. :icon_thumleft: ;D NOW! After the members died, supposedly on their
tombstones was the KGC CHAIN; anyone seen one? Take a digital camera picture... and "POST" IT HERE! Wanna see one, so I can do MORE R & I, of the "family" kind... THANKS! ;D :icon_thumleft:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: :read2:

Hi Rebel. Last fall, I began taking photographs of some of the older tombstones in Brown County cemeteries. I've noticed several "chains" among the few that I've looked at so far but I don't know that I photographed any of them yet. I plan to return to our town's Greenleaf Cemetery in the next few weeks so I will definitely photograph those with chains on them. I'm thinking these chains were on tombstones for those who were members of some fraternal organization but I don't remember, offhand, exactly which organization it was. Now, I'm going through the photos I took at Greenleaf last fall to see if I did photograph any "chain" tombstones but I did find this one for Jesse P. Couch that is interesting. It has the Masonic symbol on it but I was struck by the exact replica of the Washington Monument that tops it.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• JessePCouchGreenleaf-reduced.jpg
    JessePCouchGreenleaf-reduced.jpg
    135.6 KB · Views: 3,359

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Texas Jay said:
Yes, Gary, 13 was another significant number for the KGC. You will notice the postmark on the Brooke Smith envelopes. The flag also has only 13 stars. Remember, these were mailed just after the turn of the century.
~Texas Jay http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

George Washington's headquarters flag of six-pointed stars was moved into the canton area of the Sons of Liberty flag and that became the American flag. Star pattern (top to bottom) was 3-2-3-2-3. Probably not more significant than that.

I believe the three links of chain I.O.O.F.

Gary

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
Real de Tayopa said:
OK Gentlemen: You now have my curiosity aroused. I have a Ceremonial Sword that has been in the family from the 1800's It has FCB on the reverse of the hilt, "Fraternal order of Pythias". Any connection with the KGC? I have found none?

I also have a contract sabre from Germany, straight blade, that was used by the southern Cavalry. It originally had a man's initials and unit lightly cut in the brass hilt with a knife. Unfortunately my son, wanting to keep it in a like new condition, vigorously polished and cleaned out the "useless scratchings" , sigh.

Don Jose de La Mancha

Knights of Pythias were chartered by the United States congress in 1864 as a result of President Lincoln's suggestion. They are a peace driven fraternity. Doubtful they had any relation with the original KGC who wanted to conquer Mexico and establish a slave empire.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Independent Order of Odd Fellows was established in America in 1819;
"symbol" is THREE Chains linked, with the letters "F" , "L", "T", in the center... ONE in EACH "link". MANY "Odd Fellows" had the "LINK" put on their Tomb-stones... MY grandfather did. :icon_thumleft:
"Google" THE SOVEREIGN ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS :icon_thumleft: "Wiki" is REALLY good.
:icon_thumleft: :coffee2: ;D

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
Rebel - KGC said:
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D Independent Order of Odd Fellows was established in America in 1819;
"symbol" is THREE Chains linked, with the letters "F" , "L", "T", in the center... ONE in EACH "link". MANY "Odd Fellows" had the "LINK" put on their Tomb-stones... MY grandfather did. :icon_thumleft:
"Google" THE SOVEREIGN ORDER OF ODD FELLOWS :icon_thumleft: "Wiki" is REALLY good.
:icon_thumleft: :coffee2: ;D

So what happened to the International Order of Odd Fellows. Seems like I once saw that somewhere.

Gary

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: ;D IOOF is still "active"... saw a lodge hall, the other day. NOT as "big", as Free
Masonry... Have the IOOF ritual from my grand father... NEVER paid any attention to it. Also have Order of the ESSENES ritual book, which is in a "code"... seems to be VERY similar to EA, FC, MAINLY MM of "Blue Lodge FreeMasonry". Will have to get it out, and look at it, again. :read2: :coffee2:
:icon_thumleft: ;D AND! May wanna look into TOMBSTONE SYMBOLS @ http://tn-roots.com/tndyer/cemetery/symbols.html :wink:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:icon_thumleft: ;D NOW! Go to yer BIGGEST Rebel (aka CSA) cemetery and look for the "KGC CHAIN" on tombstones, there... MAY even find "Masonic" symbols. Got a BIG one, about 15 minutes
from me... OLD CITY CEMETERY. :wink: Beale Treasure was rumored to be buried there, also. HA! I know what I'm gonna do, the NEXT few days! :D :wink: :coffee2: :icon_thumleft:

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I was telling Jay's BBA Group how to pick up, rather cheaply, some pins/buttons of an organization a day or so ago. Below is a link to a nice Templar sword on eBay. I typed in the keyword "Masonic Sword" to find this one and several others. Most all of these can be had for under $500 usually on eBay.

I think Rebel mentioned the number 13 above. This number was important in early American history, as America was/is considered the 13th Israelite Tribe - Manasseh (as evidenced by the dollar bill with the number being used in the symbology quite often on the great seal with the Eagle). As Jay and I have been discussing via e-mail, in order to understand the KGC better, one needs to read the Bible - especially about the tribes of Israel! There are also helpful books on this subject, if anyone wants more info. please e-mail me at [email protected]. To make it short however, Israel was the name given to Jacob by The Everlasting God. Israel's sons were to receive "God's Promise". Joseph was the FAVORITE and Joseph's two sons were given his "share" - thus, we have 13 tribes, instead of 12. What many forget is that Israel was/is NOT a country as we are led to believe today, but was Jacob. The 13 tribes refer to Jacob's sons who ended up migrating into Europe and later North America. I believe the KGC's "purpose" for these caches were NOT for a second Civil War (that was simply a cover story in order to obtain $ and help from the Southern sympathizers). However, the main purpose was to create a "New Jerusalem" here in the USA.

Anyway, I don't want to get too far into the Biblical aspect of this, as it creates controversy. However, again, if anyone would like more information on some great books about this, feel free to e-mail me at [email protected] and I will be glad to point you in the right direction (a website where I just received over a dozen books from, including a more precise Bible than the King James version, that the author took 50 years to complete copying word for word from the ancient texts in the early 1900's!). This reading will definitely help you out in your KGC hunting/understanding and will be great for your spiritual side as well! :thumbsup:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ORNATE-MASONIC-...emQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item1e589d928b

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
However, the main purpose was to create a "New Jerusalem" here in the USA.

Swiftsearcher,

I always heard it was this way--JerUSAlem. And, then there is always G.I. Joe[seph] which I thought was pretty good.

Gary

P.S.--James 1:1--James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Gary, looks like you have hit the nail on the head!

Contrary to what most of us have been led to believe by those in control, we of European descent are NOT Gentiles! :wink:

When I first started out with all of this, I was led to believe, as were others, that the KGC's intent was probably evil. However, the more I have delved into things, the more it seems like the KGC were actually VERY RELIGIOUS (as well as the Templars, Founding Fathers and others with this "New Jerusalem" idea)! IF I am correct about things, the goal of these organizations is VERY NOBLE and BIBLICAL in nature! IF these KGC caches are true and were deposited away, they were more than likely to be used to fight evil in the future (maybe even very soon), as gold will be needed since cash will be worthless! It seems the KGC members were very aware of a future one-world government/religion/monetary system. They also hated Bolshevists and those trying to change things for the worse, while controlling the masses with lies. As I have stated before, the Rothschilds seem to be one of the key forces behind this world evil and, I know from research, that not only did JJ and the KGC warn us of this, but also our founding fathers. Even Woodrow Wilson, the worst President ever, realized he made a mistake after allowing the Federal Reserve to take over the nation's printing of money! If these Religious Men (Founding Fathers, Templars, KGC, etc.) saw this coming from studying the Bible, then it might not be far-fetched that they would hide massive amounts of Gold, as the dollar will probably be worthless at some point under this NWO control! :thumbsup:

Here is a great website I just found by Googling to explain Manasseh and the number 13 on our Nations' great seal!

http://www.asis.com/users/stag/seal.html

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A very important point needs to be made here. That is that most of the huge treasures that were buried by the KGC, in the form of large depositories and smaller marker caches, were buried AFTER the War ended. This dispels the arguments that the KGC could not have buried large amounts of treasure during the War while the Confederacy was facing defeat. It also contradicts the arguments the the KGC ended "during the War". I will be posting proof for this statement in the next few weeks in this thread. I will not answer replies by naysayers but will gladly answer any specific questions posed by those who seriously want to know the truth.
~Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
KGC4Dixie said:
However, the main purpose was to create a "New Jerusalem" here in the USA.

Swiftsearcher,

I always heard it was this way--JerUSAlem. And, then there is always G.I. Joe[seph] which I thought was pretty good.

Gary

P.S.--James 1:1--James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting.

Gary, I just read a GREAT book on this entitled "Our Great Seal: The Symbols of Our Heritage & Our Destiny" by E. Raymond Capt. I also just read another book the same author had written on Stonehenge. Below is the link where I purchased these books and plan on purchasing every book written by this author. These works are great, in that they not only unveil the TRUE STORY of the Israelite Tribes, but they also explain the meanings of various symbols. This book in particular shows how the USA was Prophesied in Scripture and gives several Biblical references as to the USA being the future Israel in the Bible.

http://www.destinypublishers.com/index.asp

PS Gary, I LOVE your PS! Here is another PS scripture for you, Brother!

Psalm 133
1Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

swiftsearcher

Feb 25, 2006
VA
Detector(s) used
MP 3 Pro Digital
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
SWR said:
Texas Jay said:
A very important point needs to be made here. That is that most of the huge treasures that were buried by the KGC, in the form of large depositories and smaller marker caches, were buried AFTER the War ended. This dispels the arguments that the KGC could not have buried large amounts of treasure during the War while the Confederacy was facing defeat. It also contradicts the arguments the the KGC ended "during the War". I will be posting proof for this statement in the next few weeks in this thread. I will not answer replies by naysayers but will gladly answer any specific questions posed by those who seriously want to know the truth.
~Texas Jay

This is a very bold statement without any sort of validation. Opponents to this controversial claim will be waiting with bated breath!

MK 8:12 And he sighed deeply in his spirit, and saith, Why doth this generation seek after a sign? verily I say unto you, There shall no sign be given unto this generation.

KGC4Dixie

Sep 13, 2009
P.S.--James 1:1--James, a servant of God and of the Lord Jesus Christ, to the twelve tribes which are scattered abroad, greeting. (Gary)

Gary, I just read a GREAT book on this entitled "Our Great Seal: The Symbols of Our Heritage & Our Destiny" by E. Raymond Capt. I also just read another book the same author had written on Stonehenge. Below is the link where I purchased these books and plan on purchasing every book written by this author. These works are great, in that they not only unveil the TRUE STORY of the Israelite Tribes, but they also explain the meanings of various symbols. This book in particular shows how the USA was Prophesied in Scripture and gives several Biblical references as to the USA being the future Israel in the Bible. http://www.destinypublishers.com/index.asp
PS Gary, I LOVE your PS! Here is another PS scripture for you, Brother!
Psalm 133:1--Behold, how good and how pleasant it is for brethren to dwell together in unity!

Swiftsearcher, been so busy with the graphics that I'd stopped tracking this thread. Some of these Scriptures can't be missed but only misled. Makes sense with the whole picture. Gary

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Texas Jay said:
From my thorough research in this area of Texas, I find that most of the former Quantrill's Guerrillas (KGC) that lived here after the War were indeed Freemasons as well including Henry Ford, Jason W. James (first cousin of Jesse and Frank), and Charles M. Webb. I highly recommend a book called "Freemasonry in Brownwood" by Donovan Duncan Tidwell which documents the members of the Brownwood Lodge in the years following the Civil War and their rank. You can use the title of the book as keywords in a messages search of our group's Messages Archives to retrieve and read important quotes from that book that I posted a few years ago.
~Texas Jay

Jesse James' Hidden Treasure
"By the time Jesse James was killed in 1882, he'd stolen over a million and a half dollars according to some estimates--gold, coins and cash that could be worth over $50 million today. History often paints James as a clever outlaw who stole money to finance a lavish criminal lifestyle, a man whose sixteen year long crime spree came to a dramatic halt in 1882 when a fellow gang member betrayed him and shot him dead in the back of the head. But now, a treasure hunt may reveal a totally new story. Was Jesse really stealing for himself, or was he actually secreting away large sums of wealth, in order to finance one of the most clandestine secret societies in American history? Follow a team of treasure hunters searching for where he stashed his riches... and a new truth about Jesse James. Their discoveries may not only re-write the history of why Jesse stole, it could also raise new questions about his death."
Rating: TVPG
Running Time: 120 minutes
http://www.history.com/shows.do?action=detail&episodeId=502912

Monday, November 09 08:00 PM
Tuesday, November 10 12:00 AM
Saturday, November 14 05:00 PM

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Knights_of_the_Golden_Circle/

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
1995 Exhumation and DNA Tests of "Jesse James"

http://genforum.genealogy.com/james/messages/43424.html

The Books On Jesse James Have Not Been Closed
Posted by: Betty Duke (ID *****4377) Date: November 08, 2009 at 08:50:40
of 43426

Information presented in post # 42935 regarding Sue Hale's and Jesse James' mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA) is not accurate. If the real Jesse Woodson James' mtDNA was available it would be accurate, but unfortunately it isn't. The truth of this matter is told by an authority whose words are indisputable:

In 2001 Jim Riek interviewed John Hartman, the director of Clay County Parks at the time of the 1995 exhumation. He provided the strongest evidence yet that the 1995 exhumation smacks of cover-up:

John Hartman said on air, “Clay County property, [referring to the purported remains of Jesse James], were never returned [for reburial] and with that being the case there’s no way to repeat these tests. There’s no way they can be verified. We don’t really know the results of the first set of tests. Any good scientific work can stand peer review. The results could be published as they were found, not as they have been framed or sanitized for public consumption. The results were not presented in a convincing enough manner to close the books on Jesse James."

~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Betty Duke is a friend of mine and genforum's James family forum is a traditionalist or "mainstream" ancestry.com-owned website. Have you always been a slow learner, SWR? :headbang:
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery , January 19, 2008

From: http://moa.cit.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html -
run a simple search of this site for the keywords: Knights of the
Golden Circle

It took me two and a half hours to transcribe this important Official
Record to post on this message board so I hope our members appreciate
my efforts. :) Please read the entire report carefully as it
explains many important things about the KGC. It also tells of their
resolve to go to any lengths to prevent the second inauguration of
Lincoln.

"OFFICE PROVOST-MARSHAL,
MIDDLE DISTRICT OF CALIFORNIA,
Sacramento, August 10, 1864
Brig. Gen. JOHN S. MASON,
Acting Assistant Provost-Marsal-General, San Francisco, Cal.:
SIR: I have the honor to report the result of my investigations of
the secret work of the association called 'Knights of the Columbian
Star,' through Hiram Potter, one of their number. This has been a
very tedious and slow business, for the reason that the whole system
is so cloaked and guarded that but few of the members really know
anything about it. The organization, as near as I can now determine,
is as follows: There is a governor-general for the State, and a
lieutenant-governor-general for each locality, who has a deputy
lieutenant-governor-general to assist him. There are no large
meetings held of the order in their capacity as an association, but
few only of the officers and trusted members get together to initiate
new members and devise the work which is to be carried out. Potter
has only lately learned that there is a third degree, which he has
not yet obtained, but it is proposed to give it to him soon. I may
here remark that it is one of the cardinal principles of the order
that no member of an inferior degree knows of a higher until he is
prepared and expected to receive it. In the first degree, which is
called thirty-three defenders, the candidate is first examined and
[if] found to be a suitable person for their use, he is then sworn in
a solemn and imposing manner. The substance of the obligation is that
he will not support in any election or employ in business an
abolitionist if any other person can be had; that he will obey his
officers in all things; that he will resist the enforcement of any
and all unconstitutional laws by the Administration, his officers
being the judges of the unconstitutionality of the laws; that he will
furnish himself with a rifle or double-barrel shotgun if possible,
and positively to furnis a revolver pistol and bowie knife, and
always to keep on hand a supply of ammunition for a three-days hunt.
After taking this obligation they are invested with the signs,
password, and grip, to enable them to recognize their brothers and
make themselves known, which are: First, to attract attention of any
brother present, take hold of the breast of the coat or about the
third button, carrying the hands about an inch out from the body and
back twice, as if in the act of fitting the coat to your body. The
answer to this sign is to throw the left hand to the small of the
back carelessly. This satisfies the party that they are recognized,
but they will have no communication until they have been further
proved. After selecting a proper place the challenger proceeds to
prove his brother as follows: Q. 'Do you know Jones?' A. 'What
Jones?' Q. 'Preacher Jones.' A. 'Yes.' Q. 'Have you the password?'
A. 'I have.' Q. 'Will you give it to me?' A. 'That is not the way I
obtained it.' Q. 'What will you do with it?' A. 'I will divide it
with you.' Q. 'Well, you divide it, and begin.' A. 'No; you begin.'
Q. No, you begin; the word is yours.' A. 'Death.' Q. 'To.' A. 'All.'
Q. 'Traitors.' They then take hands, the questioner giving the grip,
which is given by inserting the little finger between the little
finger and the next one and then clasping the hands, the questioner
giving one shake and saying 'Right,' the answering man another shake
and saying 'Brother.' This completes the proof of each belonging to
the thirty-third or first degree, and any communication between them
is proper. So far neither man is supposed to know that any other or
higher degree exists. But for the purpose of explanation we will
suppose that they both have the second degree, or what is called the
fifty-seventh degree, meaning 'constitution.' The first hailing sign
in this degree is made by taking off the hat with the left hand,
bringing it down to the side of the head, and placing the right hand
on the top of the head in an easy, careless manner; this is answered
by taking off the hat with the left hand in the same manner. Test
sign follows: The thumb and forefinger of left hand rub the under
lip; the answer is made by touching the pit of the stomach with the
thumb and forefinger of the right hand, as in the act of holding a
pen. This having been properly answered the question may be
asked: 'Have you the password?' Upon the reply in the affirmative the
password is given with the same ceremony as before, being divided.
The word is 'Andalusia,' being divided An-da-lu-sia. The questioner
then asks, 'Have you the sacred password?' and upon an affirmative
answer the same process of getting is observed, with this difference,
that this word is lettered. The word is 'Eloi.' After this grip is
given. The right hand of each is placed together and thrust up until
each grasps the wrist of the other, and the questioner gives one
shake, saying 'Right;' the other party then reaches with the left
hand and takes the left hand of the questioner in the same manner,
giving it one shake, and says 'Brother.' This completes the proof of
membership in the second degree. There are some other signs for
special occasions. Sign of caution or danger: Place the left hand
upon the breast and raise the right vertically, the elbow as high as
the shoulders. Sign of distress: Clasp the hands together, unlocking
the fingers; raise them to the chin, saying, 'Santa Maria.' Sign of
recognition on horseback: Grasping the left breast of the coat with
left hand, giving two moves of the hand and coat about two inches and
back, the party answering salutes with right hand. There is a night
sign, made by clasping the hands and calling out 'Ho!' which is
answered by saying 'Hi!' Before being invested with these signs the
candidate is carefully examined as to his age, occupation, residence,
former place of residence, birthplace, what military service he has
done, his opinions upon the political views of the day, State rights,
slavery, the right to resist unconstitutional laws, &c. If this
examination is satisfactory, he is sworn. The oath is very long and
elaborate. The substance only can be given, which is to resist the
election of Lincoln for President by all possible means, including
the force of arms; to adhere to and obey the call of the governor-
general of the State or the lieutenant-governor-general of your
district in all cases and at all times; that you will resist any and
all unconstitutional laws by the Administration; that you will adhere
to and support the old State rights doctrines and the right of each
State to protect itself, and assist it to carry out the right to
maintain slavery or any other domestic institution to which it is
entitled, by force of arms if necessary; that you will resist with
arms any attempt upon the part of the U.S. authorities to execute any
unconstitutional law of any kind or character, your officers being
the judges of the unconstitutionality. In addition to this, Potter
says he has ascertained that there is a third degree, and has the
promise of having it conferred upon him. Beriah Brown, editor of the
Press in San Francisco, is the present governor-general of the State;
C.L. Weller, who has lately been arrested, is lieutenant-governor-
general of the State, or of the district of San Francisco; not
certain as to the extent of his jurisdiction. It is contemplated to
elect a governor-general of the Pacific Coast, including Nevada
Territory and Idaho, who shall have the general supervision of the
order. Joseph P. Hoge, of San Francisco, is talked of for that
position. This will not be done until after the nomination at the
Chicago Convention, when a meeting of the governors and lieutenant-
governors is to be held at some point not yet known. Each member of
the order pays money into the treasury, and when parties cannot get
arms for themselves they are to be furnished by the society, the
intention being that every man who is with them shall be armed for
instant service when required by his officers. They only make one
member of the fifty-seventh degree for from three to seven of the
thirty-third degree, and it may well be imagined that the third
degree is still less in number than the second and still more
dangerous, all the power resting in a small council or single
governor. The officers in the Sacramento district are: General J.L.
English, lieutenant-governor-general; J.C. Goods, deputy; Thomas
Edwards, secretary, and A.A. Bennett, treasurer. Ex-Governor John
Bigler is a prominent member, and has lately left as a delegate to
the Chicago Convention; he is reported as having carried $160 in
money to be delivered to the rebel sanitary fund; the money was sent
from here to Maggie Perry, in San Francisco, to be delivered to
Bigler there. John R. Ridge, at present of Nevada City, was a
traveling agent of the order, and is now an officer in the Nevada
district. Doctor Fox, of San Francisco, is one of the most active
agents of the order in the State. He estimates that there are 24,000
men at present in the order and reliable for their purposes, and that
this order, with the Knights of the Golden Circle and the men they
can control, will reach 50,000. The actual number is very hard to
arrive at by any one below the head of the order, or a general agent,
as the utmost secrecy prevails between all its parts, and all are
subject to the power of an officer whom they do not know. Amongst
themselves it is freely talked of that there will be war in
California; they expect it and are all the time providing for it.
General J.L. English here talks peace, and the other officers and
prominent men say he is an old fogy and afraid he will lose his
property. Whenever they feel strong enough to make resistance to the
laws they intend to do it. This seems to be the tendency of all the
circumstances that come to my knowledge, and their conversation
reported by Potter will bear no other construction. There is also a
regular system of raising money to be transmitted East under pretense
of giving to the rebel sanitary for rebel prisoners. Since I reported
to you that trouble was expected in San Francisco at the time of the
meeting an order has been issued by Governor Brown (as is reported)
that all Democrats cease to carry arms until further orders, but to
have them always ready where they can find them. In relation to the
arms heretofore spoken of, the only further information we have been
able to gain is that the muskets, 'about 1,000,' were under the
control of Don Juan de Dias, a Mexican, who disappeared about two
weeks since, and whether the arms went with him or not cannot be
ascertained. The result of my observation is that the secret
political organization is very powerful and very dangerous. Second,
that the moving power which controls it is in sympathy with and
acting for the benefit of the Southern rebellion. Third, that it is
most important now to ascertain exactly who they are and what they
are doing. Fourth, that more men should be employed in this service
unknown to each other, so that their information may be compared.
Almost any man who takes upon himself these obligations is more or
less unreliable to us, and I do not feel safe in relying altogether
upon one man, more especially as I have some reason to believe that
he does not push his inquiries as fast as he might, or else keeps
back something that he ought to inform us of.
I submit, then, this matter to you, in addition to what I have
heretofore reported, for your consideration and advice.
I am, very respectfully, your obedient servant.
ROBERT ROBINSON,
Captain and Provost-Marshal."

~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread