KGC in or around Roanoke Va

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... If you have located the heart, you should be within one mile of your target! All you need now is the heading and distance. Keep in mind that surveying was an exact science to the K.G.C...
That reminds me of the carved heart with an arrow at its center pointing down on the door of the old Odd Fellows Hall in Ocala,which is not to far from the old CSA Evergreen Cemetary.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well then... I would "guess" the following; HEART = BIG Depository, ARROW points DOWN at the door of the old OOF Lodge (OOF "connected"); look for OOF/CSA "headstones" in Evergreen Cemetery for "site of interest" or NEXT "clue". MAY be "carvings" on tombstone(s)...
"LINKED CHAINS" (OOF) on CSA tomb-stones is a GREAT start!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Roanoke, Va. KUP! (Keep Us Posted). Pay attention to carvings of Oak Leaves on boulders, etc. as the ORDER OF AMERICAN KNIGHTS (OAK) may have done KGC "stuff". "Google" Order of American Knights... Even, Knights of the Ancient Order of the Mystic Chain (post-CONFEDERATE WAR).

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
The organization of KAOMC is on THREE levels... VERY similar to KGC; check it out! They had CASTLES! AND! MASONIC!

OP
OP
Oledigger

Oledigger

Greenie
Sep 11, 2004
Virginia
Detector(s) used
Gemini 3 , Whites XLT
Rebel, went out this weekend to get pics of the heart. I had an incedent and rebroke the top of my foot while I was out. (I had broken it in two places(heal and top of my foot) while I was working in ND the end of last year.) Needless to say, I won't be doing any climbing for a few weeks. I guess with the weather like it is, may be a good thing, this way I have to stay in the house until all this good weather is hitting us:)

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Yeah... sorry to hear of your incident; hope your heel & top of foot heal well; I am recovering from BADLY fractured Rt. Ankle ("black ice"... three years ago). Ortho-Doc had to RE-BUILD my Rt. Ankle with 3 screws & strip of "metal"; it DOES get "cold" when temperatures are VERY low (like NOW!). My climbing days are OVER; I carry a binocular with me, now. HA!

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Odd Fellows Tombstone

Rebel and other members, as some of you know Brownwood in Brown County, Texas was a stronghold and safe haven for the Knights of the Golden Circle after the Civil War. In reply to your discussion about I.O.O.F. (Odd Fellows) tombstones, there are a lot of them in Brown County cemeteries. Most belong to Confederate veterans. Here's a photo I took of the tombstone of Maj. John Y. Rankin, CSA that is in Brownwood's Greenleaf Cemetery. I took this picture a few years ago. I strongly believe that Major Rankin was a Knight of the Golden Circle. Look closely near the top of the tombstone and you will notice the Odd Fellows three-link engraving.

Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

~Texas Jay

Attachments

• 003.JPG
    003.JPG
    1,017.8 KB · Views: 177
  • MajJohnYRankinCSA1.jpg
    MajJohnYRankinCSA1.jpg
    58.4 KB · Views: 196

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
YEP! You ARE on "target"... CARRY ON! HH! GOOD LUCK! BTW, GREEN LEAF Cemetery; as in OAK Leaf...? Like EVER GREEN Cemetery...? PINE CONE on EVERGREEN Tree is SACRED Druid "symbol. If you have OAK LEAF symbol... that IS O.A.K. - Order of American Knights. Yes, Texas was a HOT-BED of KGC/OAK "activities"... AND! Many counties in Texas are named after FreeMasons... of the 32nd or 33rd Degree "level"; I KID YOU, NOT! HH! GOOD LUCK!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
FURTHER, the "pic" you provided; 2 REBELS members of the Lodge, the other guy is NOT yet a member. "Clues" are Confederate Grey coats, and "positions" of feet/boots... will review "pic" further; their names are on the back, along with rank in REBEL army... go from there!

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Rebel, for the informative observations. Our Greenleaf Cemetery was named for the "Father of Brownwood" Greenleaf Fisk who donated the land that the City of Brownwood was founded on and also provided land for the cemetery and specified one area of it be made the Masonic Section. Greenleaf Fisk was a member of Sam Houston's Army at the Battle of San Jacinto. I believe he was probably a member of the Order of the Lone Star and later of the Knights of the Golden Circle.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Thank you, Rebel, for the informative observations. Our Greenleaf Cemetery was named for the "Father of Brownwood" Greenleaf Fisk who donated the land that the City of Brownwood was founded on and also provided land for the cemetery and specified one area of it be made the Masonic Section. Greenleaf Fisk was a member of Sam Houston's Army at the Battle of San Jacinto. I believe he was probably a member of the Order of the Lone Star and later of the Knights of the Golden Circle.

Yes, In Texas, the Order of the Lone Star DID become KGC-Texas.

Jan 14, 2014
southwest va
Detector(s) used
Garret ADS
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
If you need any

I am in the Roanoke area and would be willing to help with anything. Brand new to treasure hunting, just signed up today, and looking for a way to start.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I am in the Roanoke area and would be willing to help with anything. Brand new to treasure hunting, just signed up today, and looking for a way to start.

OK, Go to Roanoke Public Library (Elm Street)... check out the VIRGINIA Room; has LOTS of great info. Vinton, Va. has some good sites. On Treasure Net; TN by Location - VIRGINIA "Sub-Forum" has some good "threads". HH! Good Luck!

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread