Knight of the Iron Hand emblem (KGC 1st degree)

OP
OP
Walker Colt

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
It amazes me that people can claim an unknown symbol was KGC, or this ring was and so on..... but the two symbols (emblems/tokens) that we know beyond a shadow of a doubt were KGC are impossible to find. The 1st degree symbol of the iron hand clasping the scroll which should be the most common since it represented the military wing of the KGC apparently cannot be found. I'm glad Bickley was captured with the 2nd/3rd degree emblem.

olepossum

Apr 9, 2008
st. joseph missouri
Detector(s) used
old school whites cion master 6/db and dfx 300 ace 250
sounds familiar like a masonic symbol they kave one i believe that they have one just like it and one with a hammer and chisel in a clinched fist along with a fist holding a scroll

OP
OP
Walker Colt

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
Anyone come across this symbol yet? Most KGC members were this degree so I would think the symbol exists somewhere.

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
J. M. Chapman, 90 Ton schooner, was purchased by in 1863, by Asbury Harpending and other California members of the Knights of the Golden Circle in San Francisco to outfit as a Confederate privateer.[1]
The object of Harpending was to raid Pacific Mail Steamship Company ships along the Pacific coast carrying gold and silver shipments to Panama, to capture and carry it back to support the Confederacy. Their attempt was detected and the ship and crew were seized on the night of their intended departure by a boarding party of the USS Cyane, revenue officers and San Francisco police.[2][3]
The ship was lost in December 1864 between Shoalwater Bay and San Francisco.[4]
[edit]References

^ DANFS Online; Dictionary of American Naval Fighting Ships, Page 584, APPENDIX II. ANNEX I, PRIVATEERS COMMISSIONED BY THE CONFEDERATE STATES GOVERNMENT
^ California Military Museum; The Pacific Squadron of 1861-1866, The following article is taken from Aurora Hunt's book, The Army of the Pacific; Its operations in California, Texas, Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, Nevada, Oregon, Washington, plains region, Mexico, etc. 1860-1866, under the chapter The Pacific Squadron of 1861-1866. pp.305-310
^ John Boessenecker, Badge and Buckshot: Lawlessness in Old California, University of Oklahoma Press, 1997. pg. 135-136
^ W. Craig Gaines, Encyclopedia of Civil War shipwrecks, LSU Press, 2008, p.28

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions