Jun 29, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
lastleg said:
Dirty_digger, back to the library with you. History section. Until the huge
Western silver dicoveries were made AFTER the CW there was a large shortage
of that metal. The abolisionist town, of Lawrence was made up mostly John
Brown yankees with a pot but no window to throw it out of.
Like I said, you can't invent a commodity based on modern conceptions. You
must surmise that since solid silver candlesticks were imported from England
to New England the d...yankees brought wagonloads down to the barren prairie
town of Lawrence and the guerrilas dragged them out of town on a ships sail.

LastLeg Bud i think your missing the point that Lawrence is just being used as a example of a town that was looted and destroyed. We are mostly talking about all the towns and lets even look at the Union side of the house. They looted as well. There were some very wealthy towns that where looted and destroyed. If Lawernce isn't your cup of tea lets take a look at Staunton, Virginia. Union general David Hunter led his troops into Staunton and occupied it until June 10. The Union troops destroyed much of the town setting fire to warehouses, mills, factories, workshops, stores, houses, and the railroad depot. They looted valuables during their occupation of Staunton as well.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Well then, let's go to Stauton and find some of that georgous silver. I'll
take the eastside, northside and westside and you take the rest.

OP
OP
BoggyBottomJay

BoggyBottomJay

Jun 29, 2009
Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
Bounty Hunter
lastleg said:
Well then, let's go to Stauton and find some of that georgous silver. I'll
take the eastside, northside and westside and you take the rest.
LOL thanks LastLeg your real generous guy.

dirty_digger

Jan 8, 2010
Jacksonville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Yes LASTLEG, lets look at the history books. Silver mines were active in the US well berfore the civil war. They didnt produce mutch. Then you had the rather large amounts of silver being imported from Europe. And mexican silver which had been mined and VERY widely used since the 1600's. Silver was plentyiful enough to be used in coins. So it was worth less than the face value of the coins. So was gold for that matter. Silver was used for many common objects due to the fact that it was easy to work with and didnt rust. I am in no way saying everyone had a house full of silver. Nor am I saying most households had harldy any silver. But that was a day when most people lived outside of town on farms or small villages so to speak. Anyone, soldiers or not looking to loot any area or individual home would go to towns where shipping or industry was taking place. Most industry was in the north, but shipping areas in the south or border areas meant big money. The history books will tell you that most railroads did not reach many areas of the south until after the civil war. So goods were transported up rivers or across land my wagon. These goods were then bought, sold, resold, shipped and traded for. These areas were also where goods stopped on the way to small towns across the south. Store owners would go to these shipping points to buy goods for resale. The folks that were already there would buy goods for the long trip home. There was alot of money to be had in these areas where the mass transportation of goods ended. So yes LASTLEG, lets both get into the history books and see how money moved in those days.

HEY BOGGY... Ill give you a hand looking for that silver. LASTLEG knows it was there. Thats why he wants 3 sides. And congrats on the FAKE maps making your post!!!!!

HEY LASTLEG... Realize that many members of this site know what they are talking about. You wont look like such an idiot when you argue a point.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
DirtyDigger:

I got one thing to say to you; Show Me The Money !

You can jaw all day about what's here, what's there, but until you can prove
to me that you find enough of it enrich yourself enough to improve your econo-
mic condition greatly your comments are just conjecture.

I've been at it since the late 1960's and have found more metalic objects than
I can count but this hobby has never elevated my bankrole to even break even
status after counting out the thousands I have spent on equipment and petrol.

Maybe you're the exception and find enough baubles to boast about. At some point in this hobby you begin to realize you're not going to get rich at it.
But it won't matter because you will have made memories worth more than the
object of you search. You have discovered that the history lessons you would
have never learned otherwise, the trips to mining camps above timberline you
would not have taken and all the "treasure yarns" you have found to be "pie
in the sky" would have been taken at face value.

I hope you gents enjoy the ride and what it gives you back.

dirty_digger

Jan 8, 2010
Jacksonville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Last leg, noone here claims to have found mass caches of silver. Boggy simply posted the question as to what happened to the valuables made of silver that were looted during the war. You can agrue, but it is a simple PROVEN fact that silver was used often back then. Not every house had it. And family history's, including mine, have stories of soldiers looting and taking silver, gold, and even clothes. Anything that could be sold or used. So Where is the silver?

LASTLEG...Its just a post to see if there are any stories out there on the subject.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
DD:

I wasn't talking about Boggy, who is a gentleman. He doesn't call other THers
"idiots".

dirty_digger

Jan 8, 2010
Jacksonville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Well LASTLEG, sorry I hurt your feelings. Maybe you should just read the posts and not tell others to hit the history books. If your gonna make a claim that I should go to the library, be ready to back it up. Now I know, you KGC guys cant stand to back up your claims or comments. Wipe your tears and then its back the the library with you. :hello2: :laughing7: :headbang: :thumbsup:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
DD:

Don't worry you didn't hurt my feelings, you just showed everyone your
immaturity. Now march yourself down to the library and study silver coinage
in the U.S. And then report back to class.

dirty_digger

Jan 8, 2010
Jacksonville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
Their you go again, please read the posts before commenting LASTLEG. No one said anything about the silver being coinage. I have given you several theories based on the amount of silver, type of silver, and my theory on what was available for soldiers to loot. Never did I mention coins. You and you NO SILVER theory has taken this topic way off subject. This will be my last post on this topic due to the remarks you have put here to ruin the subject. I didn't have to say it. I think anyone paying attention to the posts has seen that your comments are IDIOTIC and are not backed by any knowledge of household items during the era, or the personal stories of looting during the civil war. Sorry for the distraction BOGGY. I hope someone will post some usefull knowledge of the subject later. It is a great topic and does raise many questions in my book. I will apologize for LASTLEG and his un-researched chatter about silver not being used in households during the civil war. Or coinage, or whatever route he decides to take next. And BOGGY, I assure you, silver was looted, and had to go somewhere. Even if just sold in the next border town or traded for goods.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread