stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Nugget Hunter Smith said:
I have read Roy's books on the subject of the KGC and wanted to know your opinions about his books. Is he a "leading" authority on this subject? Or should I read some other authors books?
Actually Dr Roush's books helped me to realize that I was at A KGC site....For years I had been walking past many clues that were hidden in plain sight....The numerous pictures in his books helped me to confirm the type of trail that I was on.

Dont take one mans word as gospel...read all you can on a subject and keep an open mind. Reading any book will not bring about a quick and easy recovery....this happens only after many, many hours and countless disappointments in the field.....Steve

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
Keep looking!

Roy is a nice guy and truly believes what he puts in his books but the majority of the information is just a re-hash of all the other books out there about the KGC treasures. He hits the highlights and tells some good stories but in my opinion, that's just about it.

I wouldn't consider anyone who believes in the the KGC mega depositories a "leading authority" on the KGC. No big surprise there I guess.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Big Hoss (KGC), long time no hear.

I do think the KGC put down some small money caches just like most groups of the time and some "supply" caches likes guns and ammo and other supplies, actually I'm positive of it ;D , but I don't think any of the money caches would be too big, probably nothing over $5,000 face and more than likely it's going to be more like $1,000 face or less, just my opinion based on my research.

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Alec:

Can you elaborate on the munitions/supplies you are "positive" the KGC
put in the ground? Seems to me that would be a big deal to any KGC searcher.

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
I have talked with Roy on a number of occassions and he is a nice guy. I would have to question anyone who thinks J. Frank Dalton was Jesse James though.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
lastleg said:
Alec:

Can you elaborate on the munitions/supplies you are "positive" the KGC
put in the ground? Seems to me that would be a big deal to any KGC searcher.

I know of a small weapons cache (all rifles) that was recovered in the 1970's that belonged to the KGC.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
;D Drinking iced tea... HOT! DANG hot! :o >:( Anyway... I have the three books on KGC by Dr. Roy, and wiil get get the one he wrote on Jesse James. I LOVE 'em, in that he has OLD info, pics, etc which "future" research COULD elaborate on. I also have Bob Brewer's book(s), and read HIS web-site" occasionally (blog). In terms of a "leading authority", have found NONE... just do R & I (Research & Investigation) and put the "pieces" together. I think it is "state-specific", in that KGC "purposes" COULD have been "different" for each state, with a GENERAL purpose of REBUILDING the SOUTH, after the Civil War, since the "slave trade" etc. was OUT! Gotta go with the AMERICAN KNIGHTS, after the Civil War. I think Texas Jay does FINE work on his TEXAS "sites", and I think TEXAS was a HOT-BED for KGC activities... which COULD have looked like OUTLAW
"activities". :o SO! Get Dr. Roy's books, get Bob Brewer's books, etc. Do yer own R & I. ;D
:icon_thumleft: :read2: :hello2: :hello2: :hello2:

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Pertaining to Roy Roush:

I believe he is an educated man. He has had a lot of different experiences. He has written several books. I enjoyed reading them. (the ones pertaining to treasure hunting are the only ones I have read. 3 ) I also found them to be somewhat repetitive. ( I have bought a lot of books in the last 30 yrs. or so just wishing to find that one new clue that I needed to solve a puzzle. Even though they may not have helped me solve anything...they may have helped someone else solve theirs?) :dontknow: Some of the rock pics in Roy's books I have seen in the field....that I found helpful....to know they are found in other areas too.

Treasure finder

Apr 4, 2006
Los Angeles
Detector(s) used
Garrett Infinium, Compass Gold Scanner, Maxi Pulse, Gardner with a 3 foot loop, PDF1000, & Dowsing rods,
I know Roy well, he is a great guy and a long term treasure hunter. He has done
tons of research on many different treasures and has a huge stack of research
material. Some material of course will be found in different books, it all has to
be put together to make sense. I would of course read everything I could if I
was interested in a particular subject. One thing about him is that he won't
intentionally give false directions or info as some authors have done in the past.
Another book worth reading is "Open Fire", Roy's book on his experience in the
South Pacific in World War Two. He was in the assaults on Guadacanal, Saipan
and Tinian as a Marine. He has certainly paid his dues.
Rich

OP
OP
Nugget Hunter Smith

Nugget Hunter Smith

Jun 18, 2010
Mobile, AL
Detector(s) used
MXT Pro
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you all for the input! I also have Hillbilly Bob's book and a few others on the subject.
More reseach to be done!

goverton

Oct 9, 2010
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I don't have Roy's books but the few I have tell some things and leave some things out.....on purpose?...maybe ....so they can
write another book.....

You have to be able to read between the lines and put 2 and 2 together and study everything on your maps! Everything means something and if you look hard enough and put your thinking cap on, you will figure it out.....What I have found is.....creeks on maps are not always creeks, same for trails....trails may be creeks....Dates will be more than dates......say for example the
date 1844.......it may mean the "1" is on a survey grid line of plat map, the 844 may mean 844 chains, varas, feet, etc.to a plat map grid line or marker in field or it may mean 1+8+4+4=17=1+7=8 , 8 may mean a "H" or "Foot print"
Got to love puzzles and have a knack for making things work in the puzzle. I have even take a magnifing glass to stare at marks on a map to finally see that that mark made a number that could barely be seen....and that number will be the biggest clue and the smallest mark....

If you have solved your map correctly, then all the indicators, Dates, lines, words, numbers etc, will all make sense TOGETHER and put you in the right area. Man made it and man can decipher it.

RGINN

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2007
Summit County, CO
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
White's DFX, White's Classic 1 Coinmaster, Nokta Pointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
For KGC mega-millions, read Orvis Lee Houck, or Howk, or Hawk, or Jesse James III, whatever name. Read everything on him, then draw your own conclusions. He pretty much started all that. Also J. Frank Dalton. I do not believe he was the real Jesse James, but he could play to a public fascinated with old time outlaws.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
:coffee2: :icon_thumleft: ;D I got a note from Dr. Roy, in which he stated he was writing a book (or had written a book) on JESSE JAMES; will order it for my BD present. :icon_thumleft: :coffee2: :coffee2: :coffee2: Coffee? ;D

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
The nonsense about mega-bucks KGC treasures.

Quapaw

Jan 10, 2011
I've also read Dr. Roush's books plus a couple of other books by other people. Dr. Roush is right on base as far as I'm concerned. There was an actual picture of my great grandfather in one of his books. I agree a person needs to read all he can, research all avenues on the matter and blaze his own trail, other wise beat the brush. :read2:

Quapaw

Jan 10, 2011
Thanks SWR, I believe you are correct in your posting, but I believe there is some truth in the KGC cashes. What I have researched and read, the head members of KGC made plans to invade Mexico and Central America after the fall of the Alamo and the defeat of the Mexican Army. The Heads of the KGC wanted to form an empire, not a nation or state. This is confirmed in DR. Roushes book. I don't believe any large cashes in exist, but if they did wouldn't they want it readily available in ajoining states when needed once Texas and Mexico fell under KGC control? This all went on the back burner with with the start of the civil war. Store the cash and wait.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions