• 083 (640x427).jpg
    083 (640x427).jpg
    138 KB · Views: 3,792

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
I would agree that argueing over who left something behind can be counter-productive but it can also be helpful, just like trying to determine what is and isn't a real treasure marker/sign.

Attachments

• jsc kphoto.JPG
    jsc kphoto.JPG
    200.5 KB · Views: 4,094
OP
OP
oddrock

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Garrett , Minelab ,White's, others and B.S. sniffer
Alec,

Thanks for sharing your pics. ( I think I thought I may have even saw my own initials on the first one) ;D You made an excellent point about other's point of view. If we can keep it on a debate level w/o some of the personal attacks we may all come out ahead. I really like your bottom photo. Here is a pic of what my "hoot owl"/"knee tree" was pointing at.

Attachments

• 084 (640x454).jpg
    084 (640x454).jpg
    135.8 KB · Views: 3,503

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Did you try detecting the spot where it is grown together?

Attachments

• K392.jpg
    K392.jpg
    47.7 KB · Views: 3,335
  • k248.JPG
    k248.JPG
    57.7 KB · Views: 3,467
  • k244.JPG
    k244.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 3,730

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alec:
Is the ancient in your last photo a part of the trail you're following?

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
The ancient? Are you talking about the bird? If so, yes, this is part of a Spanish trail.

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Big Hoss, just one???

And I see you are testing the waters! :laughing7:

Attachments

• K396.jpg
    K396.jpg
    47.9 KB · Views: 3,111
  • K221d.jpg
    K221d.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 3,056
  • k190.jpg
    k190.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 3,144
OP
OP
oddrock

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Hoss,

Thanks for posting "your" pic.

Hoss KGC

May 30, 2003
USA
oddrock said:
Hoss,

Thanks for posting "your" pic.

Not sure why "your" is in quotes. I personally found that tree on my own and took that picture. :D

Alec, If I thought there was a slight chance I wouldn't get raked over the coals, I'd share a lot more.

Take care,
Big Hoss

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
What? Who would do that??? :dontknow:

I promise to play nice, really! I'd love to see some of the things you are finding and I won't say a word. :thumbsup:

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Tesoro Bandido II and DeLeon. also a Detector Pro Headhunter Diver, and a Garrett BFO called The Hunter & a Garrett Ace 250.
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alec said:
The ancient? Are you talking about the bird? If so, yes, this is part of a Spanish trail.

OK, I've marked up you photo for clarity on my question. The Ancient is the large profile I outlined and tagged. There is your shadow bird, but also an eagle's head and a full eagle body. The tree has 2 goggle eyed birds or whatever you want to call them. Lastly, the seated figure; maybe a bear.
BUT, my original question was about the Ancient man's large profile. I recognize this photo from a previous posting.

The carving that I've tagged as an eagle's head MIGHT actually be a TURTLE's head...............climbing up from it's nest. If so, please remember what Old Dog taught us about THAT.

K392 Merged.jpg

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Yea, I have posted this photo before in a couple of places.

This is where our theories on how things were done differ. I don't see all of that other stuff. I think the bird is the only thing that matters and it gives a direction and instruction. In this case the bird is in the valley floor and he is telling you to go up the valley and stay high on the side.

If you do that you come to a peep hole that shows you this. I apologize for it being out of focus but this was taken with my first digital camera and I think it was all of 1mp and didn't have the zoom I needed to focus throught the hole.

Attachments

• K426.jpg
    K426.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 3,083

Shortstack

Silver Member
Jan 22, 2007
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
alec,
I have absolutely no reason to doubt you on this. I'm just presenting some other items to consider. Maybe this spot is a junction for more than one trail.
Out of pure curiosity, what the heck is that material that makes up the turtle's head / eagle's head EYE. That thing just jumps out at you when you look at that photo. :icon_scratch:

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
The rock formation is a mix of sandstone and limestone. The actual eye that you are referring to appears to be an old tree branch in the crevice behind the "head".

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
That's a nice photo Hoss and that's a very good lesson about photographing a carving or marker for that matter. I always take several photos from lots of angles, close ups and wide shots. Digital cameras make it easy to do that and not spend a fortune. You just never know when you might need to see something and can't be at the site or when something may disappear or change.

I'll have to take your word on the meaning since it sounds like you already worked it out. I don't deal much with tree carvings in my neck of the woods, mostly rock carvings and carry around type maps.

Autocad, huh? That's a new one on me.

Here's one for ya. Found this one working a line. The flat top boulder was imbedded into the ground and the center of the boulder was dug out. Then they placed a rock in the dug out part and filled in back in with dirt.

Attachments

• K421.jpg
    K421.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 2,999
  • K420.jpg
    K420.jpg
    45.5 KB · Views: 3,112

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
Again, we are back to differing opinions, for the most part, I don't think anything that you find marked on a tree or rock is going to be so precise that you need an exact angle or heading but that's just me. I haven't run into anything that precise in the field yet.

I would have interpreted your C differently.

Attachments

• k003.jpg
    k003.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 2,977
  • k014.jpg
    k014.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 3,224
  • k127.jpg
    k127.jpg
    30.2 KB · Views: 4,960
OP
OP
oddrock

oddrock

Apr 7, 2010
Detector(s) used
Hoss and Alec,

Thanks for shareing the pics and info. Here's another version of a shaped tree. (This one is replacing an older one that died.)

Attachments

• 086 (640x427).jpg
    086 (640x427).jpg
    136.7 KB · Views: 3,023

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread