Quantrill

dirty_digger

Jan 8, 2010
Jacksonville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
I think you opened a BIG can of worms Belle........ Get ready to hear alot of far fetched stories and a few acts, lol.

OP
OP
BloodyBelle

BloodyBelle

Aug 22, 2010
Franklin said:
Yes, and please be careful, the KGC still exist. I met two of them yesterday. You can never meet nicer people and hospitable but all I can say be careful what you say and to whom. The KGC lives.

Oh but I do! :icon_thumleft:

K

Kentucky Kache

Quantrill came through my area, as did Morgan and his raiders. Whether or not they were KGC, I don't know. But I believe some of the stories you read about them are true, at least in part.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

Attachments

• BlackFlag1.jpg
    BlackFlag1.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 1,571

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
William Clarke Quantrill was not only KGC but served as the president of the 12 men inner circle of the KGC for many years after the Civil War (YES... contrary to commonly published history he did NOT die from a spine severing bullet wound in a barn on a doctor's farm in Kentucky but escaped to live a very full life after the Civil War was "officially" over.).

He took the alias of DeWitt Travis and resided in East Texas where many of his descendants can still be found.

As for the naysayers who will no doubt attack with great vigor these comments.... :tongue3:

okietreasurehunter

Oct 12, 2004
South Central Oklahoma
Detector(s) used
TF 900, Schonstedt, Whites, Garrett, GPR, etc.
Dewitt Travis "the Texas oilman" was Quantrell? Now I've heard it all. I think even Texas Jay would disagree with that one. Dewitt Travis was not even close to being old enough to be Quantrell. I bet you mean Elbert Dewitt Travis who died in Canton Texas in 1905. :dontknow:

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
Hey it's great to hear from AnOldPro anytime. No matter what yarn he's
bugling. Good to have you back on the forum. Stick around awile this time.
Please don't start chunking rocks at him because he is one of the true Pros
still around in the world of cache hunting. Exanimo.

K

Kentucky Kache

Any argument will do, right SWR? What happened, did they kick you off the LRL threads?

Walker Colt

Oct 19, 2009
Texas
If yall found a membership roll that would be cool. Without them it is hard to know KGC unless Bickley referred to them as KGC by name or some other known member did. Quantrell was imprisoned by a known KGC member Henry McCulloch. Thats no way to treat a brother Knight if the story is true.

Tnwoods

Jan 14, 2008
SWR said:
Texas Jay said:
Hi Belle. Quantrill was definitely KGC as were all of his men.

http://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com

~Texas Jay

The link goes to your blog, Jay.

Did you have some real sources that show Quantrill and his men to be KGC members?

Don't take this to be an endorsement of any kind.

I have a GGG (G?) uncle who was with Quantrll, and in the original James Gang. He is mentioned in a lot of history books with Frank and Jessie during the war.

Jessie and Frank were his pals - they all grew up near each other. Blah blah blah. I went to the James Family forum to ask about him and they told me he was a big player. Have any of you heard of him? I doubt it - do I care - not one bit. So there you are.

I have found documented evidence that his older brother who moved out to CA in 1850 was KGC. For what that is worth - but I have yet to find any evidence that he was. So there you go. Along with Frank James - he was the only other member of the gang to not die a death at the hands of the government (if you believe JJ was shot....)

So I can't make a connection. Does that mean there isn't one - no. Just I have yet to find one.

K

Kentucky Kache

Tnwoods said:
SWR said:
Texas Jay said:
Hi Belle. Quantrill was definitely KGC as were all of his men.

http://knightsofthegoldencircle.webs.com

~Texas Jay

The link goes to your blog, Jay.

Did you have some real sources that show Quantrill and his men to be KGC members?

Don't take this to be an endorsement of any kind.

I have a GGG (G?) uncle who was with Quantrll, and in the original James Gang. He is mentioned in a lot of history books with Frank and Jessie during the war.

Jessie and Frank were his pals - they all grew up near each other. Blah blah blah. I went to the James Family forum to ask about him and they told me he was a big player. Have any of you heard of him? I doubt it - do I care - not one bit. So there you are.

I have found documented evidence that his older brother who moved out to CA in 1850 was KGC. For what that is worth - but I have yet to find any evidence that he was. So there you go. Along with Frank James - he was the only other member of the gang to not die a death at the hands of the government (if you believe JJ was shot....)

So I can't make a connection. Does that mean there isn't one - no. Just I have yet to find one.

Does your uncle have a name?

dirty_digger

Jan 8, 2010
Jacksonville, AR
Detector(s) used
Whites Eagle Spectrum
TNWOODS- The only member of the gang other than Frank James not to die at the hands of the government????? Maybe you need to invest some time into research!!!!! Cole Younger was a member too. Played a large role in the dealings of the James Gang. And he died piecefully at the house, as an old man. Where the hell did you get that ALL other members of the gang died by the hands of the government, and just you uncle and Frank lived to be old??????? Come on.........

Tnwoods

Jan 14, 2008
Cole slipped my mind. Sorry.

Actually - from an MO newspaper - which listed every known member and how they met their untimely deaths at the hands of posse's, hanging, shootings. Should I have said my guy was the only one that died of old age and didn't go to jail? :laughing9:

My memory slip compared to Jay complete fantasy...... :hello:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread