Jesse James Lived in Texas - Brown County, Texas

huntd

Greenie
Nov 6, 2010
Okie I agree with you on that point but I do not think it was taken in 1888 as Bettys detractors claim. I would give an early 1880's date, and it is obviously someones wedding though as all the women are wearing cortages. Whos? I don't know. Dons Jacksons family consistently claims that his great-grandfather J.Z. who appears in the photo never left Blevins after he settled in about 1870, he never went as far as Waco, so it could not have been taken in Missouri and the house and porch do not match the James Farm. Betty has sent me some unpublished images of James Courtneys porch and they exactly match the eBay photos porch!

Rollie Taylor

Jun 6, 2010
Do you think that ignoring or denying overwhelming documentation to the contrary strengthens your silly claims?

[/quote]

Captain,

Mr. Hunt speaks before he reads. Had he taken time to view information found at http://www.ericjames.org/JesseJamesinTexas/letters.html, he would have seen this record:

"James L. Courtney was a real pack rat, and many letters that he had received and family photographs were found in his trunk after his death. I won't quote the letters in their entirety here, I will just give the dates, salutations and signatures:

1. March 29th, 1872 - Dear Brother and Sister - (lots of family news) signed T N Haun to J L Courtney (this would be his brother Theodore Napolean).

2. August l0th, 1872 - Dear Brother and Sister - (again describing family activities) signed Your Brother Theodore."

Mr. Hunt, upon seeing a reference to cousin Theodore in JLC's diary, immediately jumps to the erroneous conclusion that Theodore was in fact a cousin of JLC, a typical response of a novice researcher. Mr. Hunt, upon seeing a man with thick lenses in a blurry picture of the 1921 Quantrill guerrilla's reunion immediately jumped to the conclusion that it was Harry S. Truman. Mr. Hunt seems to believe that he is somewhat of a fashion expert on men's clothing.

The research and opinions of Mr. Hunt, Mrs. Duke, and Mr. Ellison lack credibility.

huntd

Greenie
Nov 6, 2010
[mod]FINAL WARNING HUNTD!!!!!!

Posts should be suitable for all ages, on topic, concise, and courteous.

If you disagree with another member's post, make your comments in a polite and respectful manner.

Don't attack, provoke, insult, or deliberately offend anyone.

All members are equal, regardless of age, gender, ethnicity, education, or experience. Never take a superior tone with, or "talk down" to, anyone.

[/mod]

alec

Mar 21, 2003
Hawaii
Detector(s) used
garrett, minelab, tesoro, whites
Am I missing something here? You are talking about photos that you and some others say show JL Courtney in them. Wouldn't that mean that that was JL Courtney and not JJ? As far as I can tell there is nothing definitive that says the man you are identifying as Courtney is JJ except in a postcard photo where you even make special note that one of the copies is listed with names one way and the other copy is listed with the names a different way. Which is correct? And why is it that because a man is pictured with the James family that he has to be JJ?

It doesn't sound like anything has been proven other than JL Courtney may be in some photos. That doesn't make him JJ. It might not even be JL Courtney.

Capt_Gregg

Greenie
Sep 25, 2010
alec said:
It doesn't sound like anything has been proven other than JL Courtney may be in some photos. That doesn't make him JJ. It might not even be JL Courtney.
In some peoples' minds, any man with a mustache who appears in an old photograph is J. L. Courtney. Wishful thinking facilitates their identifications.

killer_squirrel

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2008
Fun topic After doing my own research an following link after links that seem to go back for years this is one hot debate. I will not get into details but after following the debate for a while now i feel that Texas Jay is barking up the wrong tree. I think Dalton or Henry Ford was not Jesse James. I don't think Bill Anderson lived in Brownwood Texas. I do think James L Courtney was the alias Jesse James used when he lived in Texas. I read her book and Misses Duke has more backing her up than any of the other books I read. The pictures she has say alot. You can grill me for that i don't care but if she went to profesionals and they say it matches instead of going to a guy who looks at pictures then whos word are you going to take a expert or some guy off the street?

In the post above I read Rollie Taylor say "The research and opinions of Mr. Hunt, Mrs. Duke, and Mr. Ellison lack credibility." I guess that is not breaking forum rules by offending someone so I feel I am safe by saying this.
I have seen Rollie Taylor on other forums asking the same questions over again and being answered but he or she ignores the answer and goes to other forums asking the same question. That is strange to me. That makes me think he has an agenda other than finding answers. I feel the group that sides with the tradition story is feeling like they lost a grip on something they thought the had control over. Just sayin

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This thread got overtaken by naysayers but the fact remains that Jesse Woodson James sent a Letter to the Editor in November, 1879 that was postmarked "Brownwood, Texas" in which he said he was living within miles of Brownwood which he described as "The Hardest Town in Texas". I think it's important that newer members get an opportunity to read this historically important letter.
~Texas Jay

Citiboy289

Aug 9, 2012
North Georgia
Detector(s) used
Various depends on the need at the moment
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sometimes the best treasure hunts and finds are those held secret ! If you are seeking $ keep it secret , if you seeking fame be public Good Luck

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Contrary to popular belief, Jesse james only made deposits into the O.A.K. slush fund. Most likely, the small caches that have been found bearing the JJ symbol were his personal funds and payroll. Thus, they are in small quantity when located. The O.A.K. only made 15 major caches, some of which may or may not contain 1-10 separate cache sights per location. These are the "Big" caches, wagons and trains were used to collect and move them to their permanent locations well after 1865. You can't move that kind of weight on horseback. Food for thought......

L.C. Baker

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread