Hidden Eyewitness Account of KGC.

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I discovered a fascinating story about the KGC while researching Bloody Bill Anderson for my group on Yahoo:
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery
I posted this message at the group yesterday but want to re-post it here for all of you who are interested in learning about the Knights of the Golden Circle.

I was called to the Library Annex today to pick up an article about
Wild Bill Longley and, since I was there, I started thumbing through
a few more local history books and what I discovered blew my mind! I
picked up a typewritten book entitled "Memoirs of Brooke Smith of
Brownwood, Texas" written by "Himself". He wrote it from 1933-35.
Brooke Smith, like Henry Ford, was one of the early-day leaders of
Brownwood, Texas. He moved to Brownwood in the mid-1870's and opened
a general mercantile and soon became a well-known and respected
banker and civic leader. Since he was only a boy at the beginning of
the Civil War, he remained at home with his parents in Indiana after
moving there from Virginia where his family owned several slaves.
Apparently, he abided by the "Code" (of silence) that Henry Ford's
great grandson Lex Johnston mentioned in his book about his great
grandfather because nothing is said about the mysterious Henry Ford
or Bill Anderson in his book. But, to my knowledge, the page I am
about to quote below has never been revealed in recent decades until
now.
"...his passage to Detroit, and arriving there he crossed the river
to Windsor, Canada, and stayed there until the war ended. He was
there about a year, and when he came home he had about a quart cup
full of silver money. We hadn't seen anything but greenbacks for
four years, and we thought Channing was rich. When the soldiers came
after Channing and asked where he was, Pa said, 'He said he was going
to slip over into Kentucky and join John Morgan's cavalry.' During
the war, after so many had volunteered and gone South, our vicinity
was about equally divided between the remaining northern and southern
sympathisers, and the friends of the South organized a secret
society, known as "The Knights of the Golden Circle". Our attic was
one of their favorite meeting places; they would come dark nights,
quietly, singly, and in every conceivable disguise. Camp Morton, at
Indianapolis, was a Federal military prison, and there were some
twenty to twenty-five thousand Southern prisoners confined there.
(Jim Smith was a prisoner there). Indianapolis had a large supply
arsenal, with arms and munitions and military food supplies. The
plan was that John Morgan would come over from Kentucky with his
cavalry army, and make a swift raid to Indianapolis, and that as he
came along, the Southern sympathisers would join and augment his
forces, and at the appointed and expected time the Knights of the
Golden Circle would gather at Indianapolis from all over the State,
all in all would have made a pretty large fighting force. There was
a book-binder in Indianapolis named H.H. Dodd, and the big long
revolvers to be supplied to the Knights of the Golden Circle were
shipped to Dodd from Hartford, Connecticut, labeled "Sunday School
Books', and these pistols were known as 'Dodd's Sunday School Books',
and those things would shoot; it is claimed that they would shoot
through a telegraph pole, or would shoot through a span of mules and
break both legs of the rider. My father was allotted one of the
Sunday School Books, and it is now in our family and is loaded with
the same loads he put in it to take to Indianapolis. Margan
attempted his contemplated raid, but it was not successful. Indiana
had too many railroads and too much telegraph line that cavalry
travel could not compete with, and before he got well on the way he
was overwhelmed with numbers and driven back to Kentucky. Some one
had tipped the secret of the expedition, and given the plan away, and
that is the reason that Morgan's expedition was not a big success.
The plan was to raid the arsenal, free the prison, and arm the
prisoners, which, together with Morgan, the Knights and the
prisoners, would have made history. Dodd was betrayed, arrested, and
given the death penalty, and was confined in the Indianapolis jail.
The next night was cold and drizzling, and someone went to the jail,
attracted his attention, and threw him a ball of twine, which he drew
up, sawed out of prison, came down the rope and escaped to Canada,
where he remained until the war was over. He came back to
Indianapolis and was never executed. Then there were the public
political parties that had their organizations and their flag poles
and their public speakings and torch light processions and
parades...."

-26-
This raises even more questions about ex-Confederates, ex-guerrillas,
and Knights of the Golden Circle who may have lived in Brown County,
Texas after the war.
~Jay~

AnOldPro

Jan 14, 2007
Northern Kentucky
Detector(s) used
Fisher 1266XB & CZ6
GREAT STORY, Jay!

I suppose you know that JWJ financed Henry Ford's first efforts to build cars? JWJ used his name as an alias... some even go so far to say that Ford and JWJ were actually just one person.

I do think Ford was in the KGC and a close associate of JWJ rather than the two being one.

Did I mention to you in a post on another thread that the president of the main bank in brownwood was at one time none other than Cole Younger?

DC

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi DC. I have heard a little about the JWJ/Ford Automobile information but I haven't followed up on it. My research leads me to believe that our Brown County, Texas Henry Ford and Jesse W. James were two different men. This is based mostly on the book about our Henry Ford that was written by his great grandson Lex Johnston. There has long been the story circulating around our county that Jesse James's mother attended Henry Ford's funeral here in 1910. She was partially identified by having one arm, the other having been amputated by the Pinkerton bombing of her house.
It was known that our mysterious Henry Ford was one of William C. Anderson's closest confidantes when they lived in Brown County. In Anderson's 1924 Interview with newspaperman Henry C. Fuller, he revealed that he was Bloody Bill Anderson of Quantrill's Guerrillas and it was written in the widely-published articles about the Interview that Cole Younger had met with our Bill Anderson and came away convinced that he was his old guerrilla comrade, Bloody Bill Anderson. I have never heard about Cole Younger being the president of a Brownwood bank but only knew that Henry Ford was in partnership with Coggin and Martin in his own bank here. If you have information about Cole Younger in Brownwood, I would sure appreciate it if you would either post it here or email it to me at: [email protected]
Anyone interested in learning more about Bloody Bill Anderson or the Knights of the Golden Circle are invited to join my Yahoo group:
Thank you,
Texas Jay

{Sentinel}

Silver Member
Jan 11, 2007
Virginia
🥇 Banner finds
Detector(s) used
TEKNETICS T-2 LTD, Fisher F-75, White's MXT w/ 11 x 14" Excelerator Coil, WHITES Pulse TDI, WHITES Beach Hunter ID, Garrett Propointer and Lesche Digging Tool
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Actually I have read that same few paragraphs while researching the KGC so it has been seen before.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Those interested in the Knights of the Golden Circle will find the following website extremely helpful. It is the site for the War of the Rebellion Records and contains dozens of first-hand reports of the KGC during the Civil War.

http://moa.cit.cornell.edu/moa/browse.monographs/waro.html

To retrieve all messages with the Knights mentioned in them, go to the page above and click on "Simple Search" and then use the keywords: Knights of the Golden Circle.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery - this is my Yahoo group where we study the real Bloody Bill Anderson, the KGC, the Civil War, and many other related topics.

~Jay~

L Anderson

Nov 8, 2007
Hi Everyone,

DC is the person I was looking for because of his statements about being targeted for ridicule when he speaks the truth.
I know what DC says is true about the harassment that goes on when the truth is spoken. Mine doesn't stem from any gold searching, but I am interested in information only about William Columbus Anderson and finding his true ancestral family. I believe so far that he was the real Bloody Bill Anderson. I believe what he said was true about his not being killed on Oct 26, 1864. I have been researching the allied families of the men who rode with Quantrill for 17 months every day for about 6 hours. It seems that when I get very close to finding an answer, the documents that would typically be available have miraculously disappeared. I have several men and women who are descended from this one Anderson family in particular who have hit a brick wall. They have no idea they may be related to Bloody Bill Anderson. I am not going to tell them either. This is strictly for genealogical purposes. Because of DNA testing that is already going on in the Anderson families, I believe I will be able to tell eventually who his biological family was, not who other paid imposter's say his family was.

I also want to know if the KGC is still operating. Who is trying to stop me from my research? Is it people who are guarding the gold, people wanting and trying to get the gold, or does it have something to do with books selling or the historically accepted "James family Dynasty" being left intact? I think if I knew that answer, it would help me to dodge their bullets.

Does anyone know about the tunnel in Brownwood that is not open to the public?

I believe the book by Howk has some truth to it. One has to be a discerning person to sort the fact from the fiction. I think there was definitely two Jesse and two Franks. I'll have to do much more research on that though.

When it comes to the OAK Call to Arms that was to have taken place to swell General Price's numbers in Oct 1864 and the brotherhood (Copperheads) failed to come to that action (because they would have had to do most of the fighting and dying with no real desired outcome for them), it makes perfect sense that Bill Anderson knew this was taking place. I read somewhere in the War of the Rebellion that several Texas Cavalry Regiments were on their way to Price at that time. I don't think they were aware of what had happened. They were the ones who took it very seriously and were loyal to Price. I know I will refind it and at that time I will let you know where it can be found.

Thanks for any information you can help me find about Bill Anderson or the tunnel in
Brownwood. Does the freedom of Information Act come into play when the public is denied access to the tunnel, or at least a knowledge of the history and contents of the tunnel?

L Anderson Way

junior967

Oct 11, 2005
Charlotte County, Florida
Detector(s) used
Fisher
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hey Texas Jay. I read in your article where it mentions H.H.Dodd in Indiana. I found record where H.H. Dodd was a member of the Indiana Delegation to the Democratic National Convention in 1864. He was a delegate representing the 6th District of Indiana. Just to give you an idea of the political connections of Dodd in regards to the artice you posted.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thank you, Junior, for posting the links to this fascinating information. I am on a deadline now to finish reading and taking notes from "Jesse James and the Lost Cause" but I will post these links at our Bloody Bill Anderson Mystery group for our members' education. Of course, I will read them both as soon as I complete my current reading project.

Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

I have recently learned of the existence of an old photograph of a KGC
meeting in Brownwood, Texas! The original was owned by Henry Ford III,
great grandson of Brownwood's Henry Ford who was believed by some to be
Jesse Woodson James and who was known to be a close friend and
confidant of Col. William C. Anderson of Salt Creek, Brown County,
Texas who we have historically proven was the one and only Bloody Bill
Anderson. My source has a copy of this photograph which shows 12 or 13
Brownwood KGC members at a meeting in this town. All are dressed in
black uniforms with the exception of one man, presumably the leader,
whose uniform is white. All have red crosses on their sleeves. My
very reliable source said that the man in white was either "Old Man
Yancey" or Major John Y. Rankin. It is critical, therefore, to learn
the exact identity of this Yancey and to locate photos of both of these
men to post in our Photos section so that, when I get a copy of this
amazing photograph and have it scanned, we can determine who the man in
white actually was.
~Jay~

Attachments

• HenryFord1.jpg
    HenryFord1.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 2,967

sallyfromhouston

Tenderfoot
Aug 6, 2008
Dear Texas Jay, Just curious...........how can one tell that the crosses are red in a photograph that should pre-date color photography?

Texas Jay said:

I have recently learned of the existence of an old photograph of a KGC
meeting in Brownwood, Texas! The original was owned by Henry Ford III,
great grandson of Brownwood's Henry Ford who was believed by some to be
Jesse Woodson James and who was known to be a close friend and
confidant of Col. William C. Anderson of Salt Creek, Brown County,
Texas who we have historically proven was the one and only Bloody Bill
Anderson. My source has a copy of this photograph which shows 12 or 13
Brownwood KGC members at a meeting in this town. All are dressed in
black uniforms with the exception of one man, presumably the leader,
whose uniform is white. All have red crosses on their sleeves. My
very reliable source said that the man in white was either "Old Man
Yancey" or Major John Y. Rankin. It is critical, therefore, to learn
the exact identity of this Yancey and to locate photos of both of these
men to post in our Photos section so that, when I get a copy of this
amazing photograph and have it scanned, we can determine who the man in
white actually was.
~Jay~

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Good question, Sally. Perhaps I stated something based on my knowledge of the KGC and Brown County history that is not known by most people...not yet at least. It is true that I did not determine that based on the black and white photo alone.
Texas Jay

WRozier

Sep 27, 2006
Dixie
I have asked this question before but I think it was on another topic. In the movie National Treasure 2 the KGC agents are seen wearing a pin that says "KGC". Can anyone tell me what the actual pin worn by the Knights looked like?

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Hi WRozier. You ask an excellent question. Since "National Treasure: Book of Secrets" by Disney Pictures based the movie on the Knights of the Golden Circle, I believe the inclusion of identification badges was pure fiction used to reveal this extremely secretive organization's members to the moviegoers. From my extensive research, I can assure you that KGC members did not flaunt their memberships in this secret society. To do so would have meant certain death. Some have said that, during the Civil War, Knights carried a concealed, copper large cent to identify themselves to other members. They revealed themselves to other Knights by certain handshakes, body symbolism, and a complex question and answer session which would only be known to other Knights. Using this conversational technique, one could determine of what rank in the order the other person was.
Texas Jay
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery - if you are not yet a member of our free group, now is the time to join as we are making some historical revelations.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photo of the old bank building that Brooke Smith built in 1876. Previously his bank, in Brownwood, Texas, was called Pecan Valley Bank and sat on our Courthouse Square. The banks new name became Brooke Smith and Company. The sides are imbedded with iron five-point stars which were one of the Knights of the Golden Circle's primary symbols. The new bank sat right across the street from Henry Ford's Coggin, Ford and Martin Bank on Baker Street. Ford's bank was also built in 1876. I believe both structures were built by KGC stonemasons and craftsmen who were brought over from Europe.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• 006-reduced-BrookeSmithandCompany-1876.jpg
    006-reduced-BrookeSmithandCompany-1876.jpg
    74.3 KB · Views: 1,299
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here is a photograph I took of the south side of the Brooke Smith and Company bank building in Brownwood, Texas. This photo clearly shows the iron five-point stars (near the highline wire) on this side of the building which was built in 1876 by KGC craftsmen.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• BrookeSmithbankwithstars-reduced.jpg
    BrookeSmithbankwithstars-reduced.jpg
    59.3 KB · Views: 1,293
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Here are a couple of photos I took of the Coggin, Ford and Martin Bank building which sits right across Baker Street in Brownwood, Texas from the Brooke Smith bank building. Both buildings were built in 1876 by KGC stonemasons.
~Texas Jay

Attachments

• Coggin FordandMartinBank1.jpg
    Coggin FordandMartinBank1.jpg
    58 KB · Views: 2,323
  • CogginFordMartinBankrear1.jpg
    CogginFordMartinBankrear1.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 2,288
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Seems like your "mainstream history" is wrong about a lot of things, doesn't it?
~Texas Jay

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread