Welcome guest, is this your first visit?
Discoveries

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes

Thread: K G C 1865 Knife

« Prev Thread | Next Thread »
    ca
    Oct 2011
    328 times
    All Types Of Treasure Hunting

K G C 1865 Knife

I purchased this knife from New York. The knife is over 15 inches, the guard and trim are not magnetic. The handle is a spiral grooved dowel pin wrapped with a single piece of leather. (was able to see this from the gap due to shrinkage) The blade has never been sharpened which leads me to believe this appears to be more of a ceremony knife and not one used for battle etc. With knife in hand it looks like from the period of 1865 with the wear pattern and patina. In researching I have found there is very little about KGC artifacts and items that have initials or signs on them that one can compare to.

Although this was listed as authentic at this point I am not certain if it is or if it is a fantasy piece. Any information, opinions, comments and suggestions are appreciated. Thanks to all in advance..

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K1.JPG 
Views:	714 
Size:	111.6 KB 
ID:	578792   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K2.JPG 
Views:	700 
Size:	86.1 KB 
ID:	578793   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K3.JPG 
Views:	712 
Size:	116.6 KB 
ID:	578794   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K4.JPG 
Views:	712 
Size:	58.4 KB 
ID:	578795   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Handle Right.JPG 
Views:	737 
Size:	195.2 KB 
ID:	578796  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gap.JPG 
Views:	748 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	578797   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K7.JPG 
Views:	718 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	578798   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K9.JPG 
Views:	750 
Size:	127.3 KB 
ID:	578799   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K10.JPG 
Views:	727 
Size:	67.9 KB 
ID:	578800   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	K12.JPG 
Views:	732 
Size:	97.7 KB 
ID:	578801  

Mar 2003
    5 times

Re: K G C 1865 Knife

If it's real I would agree it is probably ceremonial however, how is the lettering applied to the blade? It doesn't look stamped or etched. Generally there is a makers mark on knives near the tang and handle where you have the the intials. Without a makers mark that would mean the knife was probably made before the 1890's if it is real. With that said, the petina on it looks awful even or uniform and there seems to be an outline of petina or no petina around the lettering.

You might try a local antique dealer that knows something about knives or weapons or even a Civil War forum.
    It's not what you look at but what you see

ca
    Oct 2011
    328 times

alec...Appreciate your comments and great questions. In regards to your questions:

-The blade is etched and the letters and numbers are slightly raised.
    -The only marks near the handle blade area is what shows, I am not certain if these could be a makers mark or the initials for whom this was made.
    -Good point about the patina. Some times pictures do not show every thing as it is. The patina is fairly even as you pointed out, but not completely through out. Picture of one of the letters attached.
    - I have sent several pictures to civil war sites, antique dealers etc. Only one replied that this is a fantasy piece, how ever has never seen one before.
    - A friend of mine here is a black smith and when compared to some old knives he has from the late 1800's and early 1900's the wear pattern and patina look very close. He is of the opinion it is real.
    - Having the advantage of it in hand and looking under the microscope it does appear to be of the period stated on the blade.

I must say that I have searched alot online for KGC and this thread is the best I have found with input on all sorts of items, symbols, maps etc.

Thanks again alec.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Patina Letter.JPG 
Views:	809 
Size:	125.8 KB 
ID:	579091  

Mar 2003
    5 times

I would say that the initials are probably for who the knife was made or who they want you to think the kife was made for. These are to big to be a makers mark. It could very well be an old knife that someone has manipulated into a KGC knife and it could be the real deal. The skeptic in me says to go with caution. If the letters are raised it would seem that they would have had to have been part of a casting and not from the normal way a knife would have been made in the 1800's. I'm definitely not an expert and it's a cool looking knife but something about it just doesn't seem right to me. Maybe I'm just too skeptical.

us
    Oct 2009
    Texas
    7 times

Try asking the Amercan Bladesmith Society, http://www.americanbladesmith.com/. They would know the old methods of engraving, etc...
    Just by what we know about the degree work for Knight of the Iron Hand, True Faith, and Columbian Star my first guess would be it is a fake. There is no mention in the degree work for a knife or dagger that I can remember off the top of my head. But I hope I'm wrong because it would be a great find. I hope those guys can help you.

ca
    Oct 2011
    328 times

Walker Colt...Thanks for the lead, I sent an email with pictures, will wait and post what they say (hopefully they will answer).

I suppose if there is a positive it would be that from all the researching I have done I have not been able to find any items connected to the KGC that are fakes.

As mentioned earlier the knife to me looks real, how ever it is the lettering and numbers that I am not sure of.

This forum is a huge plus for me as my knowledge of the KGC is limited and with the experience and willingness of members to share their information I am confident that the mystery of this knife will be solved.

ca
    Oct 2011
    328 times

Received an answer on the knife. This is not authentic from the period of the 1860's, but was made in the 1960's or 70's. I still like the knife how ever it would be better if it was from the period. Win some lose some....
    twoauers likes this.

Mar 2003
    5 times

Thanks for the update! Sorry it wasn't what you though it was but at least you were looking for the right answers.
    twoauers likes this.

ca
    Oct 2011
    328 times

alec..yes thanks to this thread and the lead from Walker Colt I was able to find out. As you mentioned I was hoping for a different outcome. Having said that I still am pleased with the knife and if the day comes that I might want to sell it I will be able to give a proper and honest description.

us
    Oct 2010
    10 times

sure looks like knifes I have seen on a couple of maps(TH) from that period and a few marked on rocks. Whoever did it
    was trying to fool someone to buying it.

us
    Feb 2010
    Anderson rod, Aurora Aqua, E-scope, Examiner, Excalibur, Garrett CX2, Gemini-3, MFD's, Sovereign, Viper
    15 times

I would remove the handle and examine the tang. That and the inside of the handle could hold clues hidden in the way KGC would put them.

us
    Oct 2010
    10 times

Quote Originally Posted by fenixdigger
    I would remove the handle and examine the tang. That and the inside of the handle could hold clues hidden in the way KGC would put them.
    Do What?

If this knife has any value as an antique, I would not mess with taking it apart. You may ruin it's overall value.

ca
    Oct 2011
    328 times

goverton is exactly right..As with any item vintage or antique one never messes with it by cleaning, taking apart etc as any value will decrease.

I am told the blade is from an old sword base and although not from the period stated on the blade it still is a collectable item.. I may not be as knowledgeable as many others here about the KGC..But how many knives like this are there??

Knights of the Golden Circle

Jul 2009
    35 times

Quote Originally Posted by Cariboo5
    Received an answer on the knife. This is not authentic from the period of the 1860's, but was made in the 1960's or 70's. I still like the knife how ever it would be better if it was from the period. Win some lose some....
    1965?
    Knights of the Golden Circle Archive and Research
    Sons of Liberty and the Order of American Knights

ca
    Oct 2011
    328 times

cccalco...No exact date was given, just in the 1960's I was informed..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sponsored Links