OP
E

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Does anyone on here think there are any CSA coins to be found in florida today?? Thanks for your time!!!!
Go to the SWAMP GOLD thread, page 113, post #1692, there is an account of a lost Jacob Summerlin CSA "Cow Calvary" payment of 50lbs of Spanish and Cuban gold specie buried in Corkscrew Swamp.

DRUNKENPIRATE

Oct 27, 2022
This story has appeared in many treasure books and mags since the 1960's.
In 1862,Capt John Riley departed Galveston,Texas,with a shipment of gold coins in wooden kegs that were claimed to have been minted from KGC western gold mines.Also included in the shipment were the dies stolen from the federal mint at New Orleans,that were overstamped with "CSA".
As Capt Riley approached the bend in the Florida panhandle,he was spotted by a US gunboat,and the chase was on.
Riley sailed his ship up the Suwannee River,and after reaching the 2nd bend in the river,had his crew jetison the kegs of gold coins and dies into the river.
For the historical record:
Capt Riley,born John Riley Bless McIntosh,April 5,1819-died May 10,1901,was a successful CSA blockade runner,who dealt with the CSA Cow Calvary in Punta Rassa,Florida,and currency to the cow crackers was gold Spanish and Cuban coins.(Detailed on the "SWAMP GOLD" thread)Riley's blockade activity took him from Texas to Florida to Cuba and,France where he transported munitions back to the CSA.
Capt John Riley,as he was known to his crew and associates,did business with THE SOUTHERN MERCHANTS,said to be KGC,and was NEVER caught,captured,or lost a ship during his CSA blockade runniing during the WAR of NORTHERN AGGRESSION.
Which brings forth the question: This tale have validity?
Also,Capt John Riley's name appears in the lost Confederate gold in the Everglades story,AKA Swamp Gold.
Happenstance,coincidence,treasure writers fabrication?
I am from the area. 15 yrs ago while diving in the Suwannee River in lower Suwannee I found a muzzle loader barrel that was warp by fire. It had the brass band strap rings still attached. There was alot of burnt wood and melted glass. At the time I didn't think much about it. Now I see this story it makes me wonder .if I should go search the area down River. The only thing in question is the story said 2nd bend of River. I was up river aways a good stretch from the 2nd bend.. Any advise or info would be appreciated.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread