KNIGHTS OF THE GOLDEN CIRCLE SECRET EMPIRE, SOUTHERN SECESSION, CIVIL WAR

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
On C-span, Saturday, July 13th, in Washington DC.

The Civil War: Knights of the Golden Circle

Author David Keehn looks at the secret society known as the Knights of the Golden Circle that sought to establish a slave empire spanning the southern United States, Mexico, Cuba, and the West Indies. Created in 1854 by George Bickley, a Virginia-born doctor, the organization later shifted its focus to overthrowing the U.S. government and carrying out clandestine operations to support “the Southern cause.” In this program, Mr. Keehn talks about the key members in the secret society and their role in pushing for secession. The National Archives hosted this event.

The Civil War: Knights of the Golden Circle | C-SPAN

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
Anyone researching the history of the Knights of the Golden Circle will undoubtedly come across references to Geo. Bickley's "Address to the People of the Southern States", alternately as the "Knights of the Golden Circle Convention address Raleigh, NC. May 1860". You will find it listed in the footnotes of various research articles listed as:
"Records of the KGC Convention, 1860, Raleigh, N.C. (http://gunshowonthenet/AfterTheFact/KGC/KGC0571860.html),"

Most recently this address was again referenced in David C. Keehn's "Knights of the Golden Circle: Secret Empire, Southern Secession, civil War", published by LSU Press April 15, 2913 and noted as being at http://gunshowonthenet/AfterTheFact/KGC/KGC0571860.html.

This article is no longer available at the previous url but a complete transcription is available at The Knights of the Golden Circle: KGC Convention address Raleigh, NC. May 1860

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"According to Keehn, the Knights likely carried out a variety of other clandestine actions before the Civil War, including attempts by insurgents to take over federal forts in Virginia and North Carolina, the activation of prosouthern militia around Washington, D.C., and a planned assassination of Abraham Lincoln as he passed through Baltimore in early 1861 on the way to his inauguration. Once the fighting began, the Knights helped build the emerging Confederate Army and assisted with the pro-Confederate Copperhead movement in northern states. With the war all but lost, various Knights supported one of their members, John Wilkes Booth, in his plot to abduct and assassinate President Lincoln."

This is what my book "THE ONES THAT GOT AWAY"will expose. I hope to expand on what Mr. Keehn has brought up, and produce the evidence to back it up, exposing several "clandestine" K.G.C. operations before and after the Civil War, with the names and deeds. In the United States and foreign countries, some of which are still in opperation to this day. I also have evidence to shed some light on Finis Bates claim that John Wilkes Booth lived on after the assassination, and was in fact a paid assassin.
L.C. Baker:thumbsup:

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
There should had never been a Civil war.

What does the United States do to Tyrants now days?:icon_scratch: The South felt that a Tyrant they called King Abraham was suppressing, murdering, and robbing them. The "South" was the United States before they lost control to the Radical Republicans and abolitionist. Just as their Politicians were "Politicians" before they were "Copperheads"
Think about it, L.C.:thumbsup:

cccalco

Jul 16, 2009
Primary Interest:
Other
New book on the KGC will be released Apr 2013. It is written by David C. Keehn who wrote the article "Strong Arm of Secession: The Knights of the Golden Circle in the Crisis of 1861". Details on the new book can be found here LSU Press :: Books - Knights of the Golden Circle

I have found another interesting review of David C. Keehn's Knights of the Golden Circle: Secret Empire, Southern Secession, from the Kentucky Historical Society

Project MUSE - <i>Knights of the Golden Circle: Secret Empire, Southern Secession, Civil War</i> by David C. Keehn (review)

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread