Underground Tunnels in Pueblo, CO

lastleg

Silver Member
Feb 3, 2008
First question. Why would this mystical organization dig tunnels in a barren spot like Pueblo?

2nd. Is there a rumor of a KGC hoard in these "tunnels"?

Your instincts are correct.

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I wish I would have known about that when I lived in Colorado Springs. I went into every hole in the ground I could find just to check it out. Just off the pass by HWY 24 on the way to Elevenmile reservoir there are some played out mines you could stick a door on and call home. I know everyone says you should not go into old mines, but I cannot imagine finding anything good by just standing around outside. During the dry season, you should explore any open drainage culverts and go to abandoned hospitals and industries and try to access the underground through the lower floors.

JusMeAngie

Dec 2, 2013
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I just moved to Pueblo and my room mate said that the door in the basement room leads to the catacombs that run under the city. Dunno, haven't been on the other side of that door...... It's kinda crazy because I swear there were people in, out, and all around this old house. Freaked me out so bad. The dog and I stayed in my room most of the day after that. Anyway, would love to see what's on the other side of that door, are there really catacombs, or underground tunnels that it leads to? Dunno.....

elgatodelnoche

Aug 21, 2013
East Mesa, Arizona
Detector(s) used
Garrett Deepseeker ADS
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
I just moved to Pueblo and my room mate said that the door in the basement room leads to the catacombs that run under the city. Dunno, haven't been on the other side of that door...... It's kinda crazy because I swear there were people in, out, and all around this old house. Freaked me out so bad. The dog and I stayed in my room most of the day after that. Anyway, would love to see what's on the other side of that door, are there really catacombs, or underground tunnels that it leads to? Dunno.....

Who knows where it may lead?

Attachments

• Uh Oh!.jpg
    Uh Oh!.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 1,135

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Genevieve, pay no attention to the naysayers. I heard about a KGC tunnel network under my hometown many years before I discovered the following quote from Jesse James himself. I have since proved its existence despite being constantly ridiculed by the naysayers on here and other forums.
The following is a quote I took from: "Jesse James and the Lost Cause" by Jesse Lee James, Published by Pageant Press, New York, 1961, pages 34 & 35.
"..."Yet another branch of our secret army was a corp of engineers that
could build bridges, build rock buildings, and do most anything.
They could and did construct secret underground passages right under
bustling cities. They built secret tunnels down under Nashville and
Memphis, Tennessee, St. Louis, Kansas City and St. Joseph, Missouri,
Lawrence, Kansas and under Pueblo and Colorado City, Colorado, and
other towns; too many to name right now. These secretly constructed
tunnels, rooms, escape routes and storage rooms underneath the
surface of the ground were built without Yankee troopers and Federal
detectives ever finding out they were being made by well trained and
experienced workmen.
"Even in that day, when men were working for a dollar or a dollar and
a half per day for ten and twelve hours labor, we were paying our
men, for mining and tunneling, a wage rate of ten dollars per day.
"How did we do it?
"Well, I'll tell you how. Most generally, we would start tunnels
which would connect some of our business houses, such as our own
saloons, gambling houses, livery stables and even the jailhouses
would connect. Because our men were in the offices of public
officials, such as mayors, sheriffs, marshals, congressmen, senators,
school teachers, and principals, tunnels were down and under our
breweries, distilleries, and schools, and with the excuse that beer
needed to be aged, we had to age our whiskey in charred kegs.
"Some of our relay stations and even ranch and farm houses were
almost built like forts, and had tunnels down and under them
connecting the houses underground to the barns and escape routes, or
hatches in and out. We had to have at least two entrances, or means
of entry, or escape.
"So many places advertised across the country, `Jesse James' Cave'!
That is bunk! Yes, we may have had to use a few caves here and there
to hold our horses, or even to sleep in occasionally, that would be
true enough, but if there was only one entrance, and we were stupid
enough to get ourselves cut off, that would have been bad. If we
used a cave with only one entry, you could be sure that we kept a
constant guard posted around outside all the time. If the cave
should have two or more entrances, then we would feel safe, and use
it over and over again," said Jesse..."

We have a large archives of research on the KGC at our group at:
Yahoo Groups
I hope that you will join our group and I and other members can assist you in locating information about the other areas of interest to you.

~Texas Jay
Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Ab Enyart. Hiram P. Bennet. Allan Alexander Bradford. Stephen Friel Nuckolls. Google those names with Colorado and you can see where the K.G.C. was operating from a time before Colorado was a state until ?? Ab Enyart was a banker in Ordway Co. who shot a lawyer dead in his bank on a Sunday. That lawyer had been sent there from Nebraska City by Logan Enyart's second wife who had signed a prenuptial agreement for five thousand dollars to be paid to her in small payments annually. her son in law was the lawyer who had informed her she signed the prenup without knowing what he was worth and they were coming from that angle when the young lawyer left Nebraska and went to see Ab to find out how much Logan Enyart had actually owned and left his brother when he died..(making him one of the richest men of the time)..that would have exposed too much information on what was accumulated and how, so Ab shot the Lawyer ...in self defense.:dontknow: The litigation is almost comical on how they got the murder dropped to self defense. It sure does pay to have the judge and jury on your $ide.

Here is a link to the news story. http://www.newspapers.com/newspage/42891361/

L.C.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Have no doubt that the K.G.C. was in Colorado, there is a lot of misinformation out there to stoke the naysayers flame, but hard evidence puts it right out!

L.C.:thumbsup:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
MOST likely to have been O.A.K. by then...

Yes, they were old school K.G.C. political pawns...well more like Knights, bishops, kings and queens to be exact..LOL! It was that generation's offspring that were selected and groomed for the O.A.K. smaller inner circle to come. Hiram Pitt Bennet served as member of the Nebraska Territorial council in 1856, and as member of the Territorial House of Representatives in 1858, where he served as speaker. Bennet moved to Denver, Colorado in 1859 and continued the practice of law. It is there and then that the K.G.C. entered Colorado. If you care to study him, you can see what the agenda was by following his political decisions and attempted moves to affect them when possible. The O.A.K. didn't appear until 1863....but they probably met in the same places with the same faces. Just my two cents worth of evidence...you will have to dig to find the whole dollars worth!

Hiram Pitt Bennet (September 2, 1826 – November 11, 1914) was a Congressional delegate from the Territory of Colorado and Colorado Secretary of State. Bennet moved to the Nebraska Territory in 1854, settled in Nebraska City, and continued the practice of law. He unsuccessfully contested in 1855 as a Republican the election of Bird B. Chapman to the Thirty-fourth Congress. This was a power play for control of the Nebraska Territory in just that position, there was a lot more of that going on at the time.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hiram_Pitt_Bennet

Great stuff! L.C. :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2017
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
To say noting of the CF&I tunnels...

Also, the CF&I tunnels.. The "new" main entrance (built when I-25 was constructed) still exists. In the 50's and 60's thousands of workers used this entrance every day to go to work. The entrance was finally closed in the 1990s. https://www.mininghistoryassociation.org/Steelworks1.htm
Nothing mythical about it. The original tunnels at CF&I led to the buildings where everyone worked. The "old" entrance was wiped out by the I-25 construction, and the "new" entrance was constructed, leading to all the tunnels.
As to a previous poster's statement that Pueblo was a "barren" spot? It was THE largest steel mill in the west, and Pueblo was THE center of farming and ranching in the west at one time. Also, it wasn't barren! Many farms surrounded the area, and it still is the largest supplier of water in the region. Many neighborhood parks, along with City Park and Mineral Palace (on the register of historic places) prove that it was and is anything but barren! The Colorado State Fairgrounds are STILL in Pueblo, not in Denver (where way too many people are.)

miboje

Mar 21, 2016
Detector(s) used
Garrett GTA 1000 PowerMaster
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I know this is an old thread, but I was intrigued by the idea of old tunnels even though I am no where near Pueblo. So I hit up YT and came across a video of a young woman who did the research. She wrote a book on the topic, and there is definitely proof of tunnels in the city. Here is a link to the video:

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Since this old thread has been revived by new interest, I think it's time I make it clear that, contrary to lastleg's insincere and unfounded questions, yes, the KGC WERE in Pueblo and many other towns and cities across the country and, according to Jesse James, they DID construct a tunnel network underneath that town, just as they did in many other towns including my own hometown of Brownwood, Texas which was a KGC stronghold and safe haven for them after the War.
To his second question, yes, there are unfounded "rumors" that some of these tunnel networks contained treasure but, after 12 years of research and field work on the organization, I can safely say that these rumors are just that - rumors - that have no basis in fact. As Jesse said in my above quote, the tunnels were used for escape routes and to avoid detection by Federal agents, not to hold treasure. KGC treasure was safely kept in underground depositories and smaller and shallower marker caches which were well-guarded by sentinels until the 1960s. I made these points perfectly clear to Scott Wolter and his film crew when they interviewed me for their tv show - "America Unearthed: Lincoln's Secret Assassins" but they chose to edit that part out of the final draft because it didn't fit their pre-conceived agenda. After I stated that, on film, Scott and the Producer suggested that I leave the tantalizing possibility that the KGC may have stored treasure in the tunnels open to entice the audience. Since they had promised me that they would not ask me to say anything I didn't believe was true, I would only say "Anything's possible" in answer to that question. That's what they took and ran with, without including my statement where I said that finding any KGC treasure in the tunnels would be extremely unlikely. Lastleg posted his comment in 2013 and the AU episode didn't air until Feb. 15th, 2014. While Scott Wolter did say, at the end of the show, that there WERE KGC tunnels underneath downtown Brownwood, he didn't mention that he and I visited one of the sealed tunnel entrances below the town where we proved that, yes, everything I had told them (including the exact route of the tunnel network) was absolutely true. For my in-depth review of the finished episode, you may read about it in my Blog below. I also encourage you to view our Photos section and read the captions below each photo for details.

Blog - Knights of the Golden Circle

~Texas Jay

jeff of pa

Super Moderator
Staff member
Dec 19, 2003
🥇 Banner finds
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
000000.jpg

She Didn't stick around Long enough But only 4 results containing “ underground tunnels Pueblo”

The Topeka state journal. (Topeka, Kan.), 10 Dec. 1902.

000aaa.jpg

The Topeka state journal. (Topeka, Kan.) 1892-1980, December 10, 1902, LAST EDITION, Page 3, Image 3 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress
======================
Waterbury Democrat. [volume] (Waterbury [Connecticut]), 10 Dec. 1902.

000bbb.jpg

Waterbury Democrat. [volume] (Waterbury [Connecticut]) 1900-1903, December 10, 1902, Image 1 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

======================

Clayton enterprise. [volume] (Clayton, Union County, N.M.), 24 Nov. 1905.

000ccc.jpg

Clayton enterprise. [volume] (Clayton, Union County, N.M.) 1888-1906, November 24, 1905, Image 2 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

=======================

El Paso herald. (El Paso, Tex.), 16 Nov. 1912.

000ddd.jpg

El Paso herald. (El Paso, Tex.) 1901-1931, November 16, 1912, Week-End Edition, Image 12 « Chronicling America « Library of Congress

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Many cities and neighborhoods across the USA have underground tunnels...I've been in them in Jackson and Clay Counties in MO and Wyandotte County in KS...The city tunnels are stockpiled still with government rations, supplies and equipment, including medical in the event of a Nuclear attack... Most neighborhood underground tunnels that I've been in are stocked the same way, only with a more personal touch and creature comforts.

Businesses, including, hotels, bars and restaurants that were along the river also had extensively used tunnels during prohibition for deliveries of moonshine by water. Some of the more exclusive hotels, restaurants and clubs of the day also had 'separate' dining and drinking and gambling areas below the main level, hidden and accessed behind false walls.

As soon as I get a chance I'll post a pic of a military issued metal barrel/drum that contained rations and supplies and when emptied, the barrel was to be lined with a heavy plastic bag and used as a latrine/potty. Bags were in the barrels.

Kace

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread