WAS JOHN WILKES BOOTH A PAID ASSASSIN????

WAS JOHN WILKES BOOTH A PAID ASSASSIN?

• YES

Votes: 24 54.5%
  • NO

Votes: 20 45.5%

• Total voters
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
After the assassination Booth would have to retrieve his "thirty pieces of silver" for the hit. As the plan unfolded, it is obvious that it was up to Booth to pay his hired help. This would be quite the pile of gold, considering the amount of co-conspirators he had to pay off. With the rate in 1865 being $20.67/troy oz for gold.

Booth's share -----??---$100,000.00

accomplices shares--?--$ 10,000.00 x 6? = $60,000.00

guestimated Total------$160,000.00 in gold would weigh in at about 485 pounds of :coins::goldbar::3barsgold:

Which would logically lead one to conclude that there was a selected pay off point determined before the hit. I would think that point to have been in the general direction that they first headed out to. The smaller individual fees to be paid out to the crew would have been manageable, but the big haul would have required a wagon. They had to know that there would be total chaos after the murders. Cops and Army posies chasing after them and such. Rest assured that there was a plan for them to get their money for the job, and it was most likely to be down the road after things cooled off. Booth would be the man counting it out to them, as he was solely in charge of the crew (as far as they knew) and they knew no other. Logically, if any of the soon to be hung assassins would have known another name in charge that was higher than J.W. Booth, they would have probably sung like a canary to save their own neck. Especially the woman.
:thumbsup:L.C. Baker

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
If so, then the question is..."What money?" From all appearances it was a very low budget affair so pretty doubtful that Booth had access to any measure of wealth.

What does any man want to do as soon as he is rich beyond his wildest dreams? "Take Care Of The Family" His Mother and Brother (Junius Brutus Jr.)met him in San Francisco after the assassination. John Wilkes gave them a large amount of gold and then departed to Mexico.
Junius Booth Jr. was not that great of an actor, even overshadowed by his wife. He did however come into enough money to buy "The Walnut Street Theater with his brother in law
John Sleeper Clarke (September 3, 1833 – September 24, 1899). Clarke was a 19th century American comedian and actor, was born in Baltimore, Maryland, and was educated for the law. In his boyhood he was a schoolmate of Edwin Booth who was born in the same year as he, and with whom he engaged in amateur dramatic readings as members of the Baltimore Thespian Club. In 1859 he became part of the Booth family when he married Asia Booth, daughter of Junius Brutus Booth, and eldest sister of John Wilkes Booth. Clarke was associated with his brother-in-law Edwin Booth in the management of the Winter Garden theater in New York, the Walnut Street theater in Philadelphia and the Boston theater.

The Walnut Street Theater at 825 Walnut Street on the corner of S. 9th Street in the Washington Square West neighborhood of Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, is the oldest continuously operating theater in the English-speaking world and the oldest in the United States. Edwin Booth and John Sleeper Clarke purchased the theater in 1865

And you may have heard of this theater that cost over one million dollars to build.

Booth's Theater was a theater in Manhattan built by actor Edwin Booth. Located on the southeast corner of 23rd Street and Sixth Avenue, Booth's Theater opened on February 3, 1869.

The Theater featured a grand vestibule with Italian marble floors and a large statue of Edwin Booth's father, the Shakespearean actor, Junius Brutus Booth by the sculptor Thomas Ridgeway Gould. The auditorium was similarly elaborate in its decor, and featured a large chandelier, as well as a stage that incorporated the most modern machinery in use at the time, such hydraulic rams to raise and lower scenery, and stage lights that could be completely extinguished during the performance, a first in the United States.

In the theater, a large chandelier, lit by gas-jets ignited by electricity, hung above the auditorium. Marble pillars, adorned with statues, surrounded the box seats. In the center, above the proscenium arch stood a statue of Shakespeare by the Italian sculptor Signor G. Turini. Portrait busts of David Garrick, Edmund Kean and other great actors adorned the proscenium arch.
The stage itself was equipped with the most modern stage machinery then in use. The deck of the stage had double-floors. Four spiral staircases surrounded the stage leading to four fly galleries. Scenery was raised and lowered by hydraulic rams under the stage.
These were but some of the innovations in the theater that made the theater an architectural marvel in New York. Others included one of New York's first sprinkler systems for fire prevention, and, backstage, sets of hydraulic ramps were used to raise moving bridges and platforms to change scenery.
In addition, stage lights - for the first time in America - could be completely extinguished both in the auditorium and on the stage during the performance through the use of an electric spark ignition system. This facilitated being able to plunge the entire theater - both stage and auditorium - into complete darkness during a performance of Booth's Hamlet.
Booth's Theater, modeled after the finest theaters of Europe, and using American inventiveness, was a marvel of technology and a palace of theatrical pleasure.

BOOTH'S THEATRE SOLD
THE PLAY HOUSE TO BE MADE A DRY GOODS STORE
Booth's Theatre was sold yesterday for $550,000, less than half its original cost

Where do you reckon Junius Booth Jr. came into that kind of money? :dontknow:

Following the assassination of US president Abraham Lincoln, Clarke came into the possession of two letters, from his wife, written by his brother-in-law, John Wilkes Booth. He turned them over to the Philadelphia Inquirer who printed one of the two letters. His actions led to his arrest and imprisonment in the Capitol Prison in Washington D.C. for a month.

Think about it, L.C. Baker

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Can anyone find anything out about Booth's mother and her financial status from...1865----until she died? She lived in New York City. Did she live a life of luxury????
Thanks, Baker

DizzyDigger

Gold Member
Dec 9, 2012
Concrete, WA
Detector(s) used
Nokta FoRs Gold, a Gold Cube, 2 Keene Sluices and Lord only knows how many pans....not to mention a load of other gear my wife still doesn't know about!
Primary Interest:
Prospecting
Booth's mother was actually his fathers mistress who was little more than
a "Flower Girl" in London before he (Junius) ran off to the US with her.

Eventually, Junius Brutus Booth divorced his wife (she filed on grounds of
adultery), and then Junius married Mary Ann Holmes. As best as I can
tell, she stayed in the family mansion (aka:Tudor hall)

Booth Research Center, The Booths of Harford County

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
At some point...i believe to be in 1865 Mary Holmes moved out of Tudor Hall and into a New York City home. It would be during that time in her life (post assassination) that I am curious about.

" John Wilkes Booth, grew up in that house with his mother, brother, and two sisters.
After the family moved out, they rented the home to the King family and later sold it to Sam Kyle and Ella Mahoney. She lived in Tudor Hall for 70 years and opened a museum"

Thanks for your input, L.C.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Did she remarry? She was only 17 yrs old when Booth's Father hooked up with her. Booth was 26 in 1865. that would mean she was under 45 in 1865. She was a hottie for her day.
Thanks, L.C.

hottie holmes.jpg

" Mary Ann would give birth to ten children, many of whom were born on the Booth farm in Harford County, Maryland, where Tudor Hall would be built by Junius and Mary Ann in 1851-52. "

Dixiesrebel

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2010
Can anyone find anything out about Booth's mother and her financial status from...1865----until she died? She lived in New York City. Did she live a life of luxury????
Thanks, Baker

I told you, I have been working with the decendants of the Booth family for nearly 4 years. I know the answer to this and other things.....

Dixiesrebel

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2010
I presume this is an example, no facts to support the numbers. Yes, wagons were used. I know the numbers, know who, where, for what, etc. Your way off. I told you......

(sorry didn't attach to quote I was referencing to...)

Last edited:

Dixiesrebel

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2010
Did she remarry? She was only 17 yrs old when Booth's Father hooked up with her. Booth was 26 in 1865. that would mean she was under 45 in 1865. She was a hottie for her day.
Thanks, L.C.

View attachment 862758

" Mary Ann would give birth to ten children, many of whom were born on the Booth farm in Harford County, Maryland, where Tudor Hall would be built by Junius and Mary Ann in 1851-52. "

No. Three of her children died, and was transferred to Greenmount when the supposed JWB was buried. These children are on top of JWB, which is one of main reasons why JWB graved cannot be exhumed per 1994 decision by Court5 of Appeals against Greenmount.

Dixiesrebel

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2010
After the assassination Booth would have to retrieve his "thirty pieces of silver" for the hit. As the plan unfolded, it is obvious that it was up to Booth to pay his hired help. This would be quite the pile of gold, considering the amount of co-conspirators he had to pay off. With the rate in 1865 being $20.67/troy oz for gold.

Booth's share -----??---$100,000.00

accomplices shares--?--$ 10,000.00 x 6? = $60,000.00

guestimated Total------$160,000.00 in gold would weigh in at about 485 pounds of :coins::goldbar::3barsgold:

Which would logically lead one to conclude that there was a selected pay off point determined before the hit. I would think that point to have been in the general direction that they first headed out to. The smaller individual fees to be paid out to the crew would have been manageable, but the big haul would have required a wagon. They had to know that there would be total chaos after the murders. Cops and Army posies chasing after them and such. Rest assured that there was a plan for them to get their money for the job, and it was most likely to be down the road after things cooled off. Booth would be the man counting it out to them, as he was solely in charge of the crew (as far as they knew) and they knew no other. Logically, if any of the soon to be hung assassins would have known another name in charge that was higher than J.W. Booth, they would have probably sung like a canary to save their own neck. Especially the woman.

I presume this is an example, no facts to support the numbers. Yes, wagons were used. I know the numbers, know who, where, for what, etc. Your way off. I told you. Dixiesrebel

Dixiesrebel

Tenderfoot
Jun 4, 2010
At some point...i believe to be in 1865 Mary Holmes moved out of Tudor Hall and into a New York City home. It would be during that time in her life (post assassination) that I am curious about.

" John Wilkes Booth, grew up in that house with his mother, brother, and two sisters.
After the family moved out, they rented the home to the King family and later sold it to Sam Kyle and Ella Mahoney. She lived in Tudor Hall for 70 years and opened a museum"

Thanks for your input, L.C.

I know this answer as well. Booth family I talked to told me story. Edwin was with her so much and protected her after the assassination. You know Mary and Edwin went to England, cant give you the date at moment, sorry. Mary thought she saw John Wilkes there. Edwin debunked that.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I know this answer as well. Booth family I talked to told me story. Edwin was with her so much and protected her after the assassination. You know Mary and Edwin went to England, cant give you the date at moment, sorry. Mary thought she saw John Wilkes there. Edwin debunked that.

Did they happen to mention when and where he received the pay off, and who it was that gave it to him?
L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
MAJOR crazy myth.......

Did they happen to mention when and where he received the pay off, and who it was that gave it to him?
What "Booth" have you talked to Dixierebel? How many generations out from J.W. Booth? I have only heard one Booth Speak, and he can't even proove that he was in the Booth family. It would be great to find more info on Mary Holmes Booth to research.
Myth? Myths are created with hearsay not fact and logic. I'm not on here to argue, just the facts, that's all I want. If you know something about the Booths that the rest of the world does not know, we are all ears.
Baker

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I told you, I have been working with the decendants of the Booth family for nearly 4 years. I know the answer to this and other things.....

Like you, I have many answers, but few that can be proven. We need black and white proof to make a claim stick. Something in their own hand writing. If you can reference that, then we are getting some where. Otherwise it is all a bunch of hearsay.

There are millions of paths that lead you to the truth, all you have to do is get on one of them and focus on the truth you seek. It is a waste of time to argue about who is on the right path. There is only one truth and all that seek it are on the right path.:thumbsup:

Thanks for your input, L.C. Baker

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
What i can prove, is that a high ranking Knight of the K.G.C. was sent to New York City with a large amount of pooled funds. Pooled from supporters of the "Southern Cause" in several other states, gathered along his way there. This amassed gold was used for undercover K.G.C. activities that were going on in 1864 in New York City and possibly other places. A Knight of great trust and of great wealth and power in the United States as well as the Confederate States was chosen by the K.G.C. to oversee the kidnapping of Abe Lincoln. History has swept these most venomous Rebels to the side like they did not exist. Up until now, they really did get away with it all. 150+ years, they duped the American Public and it's authorities.
L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The Knights of the Golden Circle were woven into the fabric that made up the United States Government. To believe they had no power is blind. They planned and payed the assassin Booth a handsome sum to do the deed. They gave him support in every way possible. Housing, food, transportation and guidance on which path to take, and to what city to go to, and what day and time to be there. His instructions were mouth to ear in confidence and secrecy. Even in his escape the Knights controlled Booth's movements.
L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Could it be possible that Booth was unable to recollect the names of those he sought help from during his escape, in order to protect them? Perhaps it was more because someone along his escape route filled his pockets with gold. A false name would represent an effort on Booth's part to protect those involved in his escape for one reason or another. The truth is, that the escape route was planned out from the beginning to it's end.

From "The Escape and Suicide of J.W. Booth":

escape of booth.jpg

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions