WHO WERE THE K.G.C. CARVED TREES LEFT FOR?

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The southern beeches (Nothofagus genus) previously thought closely related to beeches, are now treated as members of a separate family, Nothofagaceae. They are found in Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, New Caledonia, Argentina and Chile (principally Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego).
LIFE EXPECTANCY = Beech wood is an excellent firewood, easily split and burning for many hours with bright but calm flames. Chips of beech wood are used in the brewing of Budweiser beer as a fining agent. Beech logs are burned to dry the malts used in some German smoked beers, giving the beers their typical flavour. Beech is also used to smoke Westphalian ham, various sausages, and some cheeses. If they survive all of that they can live 150-200 years. Knowing that some uneducated s.o.b. could cut down the marked tree for another general purpose would make me nervous about it's long term use as a marker to a massive treasure site. it would be o.k. for a small sentinel payout perhaps some quart jars full of gold, maybe a bucket full at most. "not to mention that some passer by :hello: "oh, look somebody carved their initials in that tree....:icon_scratch: I think i will carve my initials too.. and maybe another design."

Scarred_American_Beech_Bark.JPG

lex opaca, the American Holly, is a species of holly, native to the eastern United States, from coastal Massachusetts south to central Florida, and west to southeastern Missouri and eastern Texas average life span 150 years. if it lives. Subject to the same abuse as the Beech.

This leads me to believe, that logically, the major caches repositories and depositories will be marked by permanent structure that will last forever.

think about it and let me know what you think, L.C. baker:icon_scratch:

Springfield

Silver Member
Apr 19, 2003
New Mexico
Detector(s) used
BS
...This leads me to believe, that logically, the major caches repositories and depositories will be marked by permanent structure that will last forever.

I agree with your logic. Trees can be cut down, blow down, burn up, get diseased, They are temporary in the bigger picture of things, but might be used for 'treasure signs' if the intent was to retrieve the goods, say, within the remaining lifetime of the carver(s) = maybe another 20 years.

Seems to me that if your perspective was longer-range, you might go for rock carvings, permanent landmarks (natural formations, river confluences, public buildings, statues, headstones, etc) and/or metal clues to mark the way.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I agree with your logic. Trees can be cut down, blow down, burn up, get diseased, They are temporary in the bigger picture of things, but might be used for 'treasure signs' if the intent was to retrieve the goods, say, within the remaining lifetime of the carver(s) = maybe another 20 years.

Seems to me that if your perspective was longer-range, you might go for rock carvings, permanent landmarks (natural formations, river confluences, public buildings, statues, headstones, etc) and/or metal clues to mark the way.

agree 100% they were capable of large man made structures or could have utilized what was available. The major caches would be protected this way from ever being lost to the ages.

L.C.

perm structure.jpg

K.G.C. Vault?????:dontknow:

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
agree 100% they were capable of large man made structures or could have utilized what was available. The major caches would be protected this way from ever being lost to the ages.

L.C.

View attachment 889960

Beech trees CAN be cut down; we have one in Bedford County, that I took "pics" of and gave one copy to Peter Viemeister (Beale Treasure "fame"); he said NOTHING.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
under ground entrance.jpg

what do you think that opening is with the header block placed above it without support? looks to be well below the surface as well. Not a huge amount of men on the project either,:icon_scratch: L.C.

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The southern beeches (Nothofagus genus) previously thought closely related to beeches, are now treated as members of a separate family, Nothofagaceae. They are found in Australia, New Zealand, New Guinea, New Caledonia, Argentina and Chile (principally Patagonia and Tierra del Fuego).
LIFE EXPECTANCY = Beech wood is an excellent firewood, easily split and burning for many hours with bright but calm flames. Chips of beech wood are used in the brewing of Budweiser beer as a fining agent. Beech logs are burned to dry the malts used in some German smoked beers, giving the beers their typical flavour. Beech is also used to smoke Westphalian ham, various sausages, and some cheeses. If they survive all of that they can live 150-200 years. Knowing that some uneducated s.o.b. could cut down the marked tree for another general purpose would make me nervous about it's long term use as a marker to a massive treasure site. it would be o.k. for a small sentinel payout perhaps some quart jars full of gold, maybe a bucket full at most. "not to mention that some passer by :hello: "oh, look somebody carved their initials in that tree....:icon_scratch: I think i will carve my initials too.. and maybe another design."

View attachment 889875

lex opaca, the American Holly, is a species of holly, native to the eastern United States, from coastal Massachusetts south to central Florida, and west to southeastern Missouri and eastern Texas average life span 150 years. if it lives. Subject to the same abuse as the Beech.

This leads me to believe, that logically, the major caches repositories and depositories will be marked by permanent structure that will last forever.

L.C. In my area here is what I have found...there are both below and above ground markers. All doing the same thing, leading to the cache. In case of natural disaster then the organization could still locate the cache using the iron markers underground. They located this marker with a compass needle or a spanish dip needle, they knew the distance to each marker. This topic has been debated on this forum years ago.
When a cache has been removed in my area they either chopped off the end of a nearby pointer rock...or carved a rectangle into a tree. The rectangle signifies an empty box. I have found fresh shavings on the ground directly underneath the carved rectangle. In one area...where I got too close. I found 4 freshly carved rectangles at different locations. But all within a half mile proximity. Also I have found freshly broken off "pointer" stone with empty holes or cubby holes close by...Steve

stevesno

Feb 27, 2006
Deep in the Ozark Mountains
Detector(s) used
Fisher CZ3D, Whites TM 808, Sharptronics DSP-03
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. In my area here is what I have found...there are both below and above ground markers. All doing the same thing, leading to the cache. In case of natural disaster then the organization could still locate the cache using the iron markers underground. They located this marker with a compass needle or a spanish dip needle, they knew the distance to each marker. This topic has been debated on this forum years ago.
When a cache has been removed in my area they either chopped off the end of a nearby pointer rock...or carved a rectangle into a tree. The rectangle signifies an empty box. I have found fresh shavings on the ground directly underneath the carved rectangle. In one area...where I got too close. I found 4 freshly carved rectangles at different locations. But all within a half mile proximity. Also I have found freshly broken off "pointer" stone with empty holes or cubby holes close by...Steve
Oh the one major treasure accumalatory room that I am aware of in my area, is a major landmark in itself. It can be seen for miles around. A 'Bald Knob" as we call it here in the Ozarks. At the top of it you can see one house, a couple of miles away. The house is on private property...but a clear unobstructed path has been cut through the timber (like for powerlines) from the house, through National Forest land to the location....humm I wonder why?

Gunrunner61

Silver Member
Jan 12, 2011
Dalton,Ga.
Detector(s) used
Whites MXT, E Trac, Garrett Pro Pinpointer
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting

L.C.

View attachment 889960

Is that not a picture of Lincoln's Burial Vault being built?....Just asking

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Is that not a picture of Lincoln's Burial Vault being built?....Just asking

No, it does look some what the same though. This is a "Copperhead" funded project taking place in a K.G.C. held town in 1866. It is almost asured that all of the men pictured are affiliated with the Knights of the Golden Circle in a buisness type venture for a U.S. Government funded project. The K.G.C. loved to spend U.S. Government money on their own projects! it is one of three projects that took place that we think could have an underlying purpose.
thanks for your input, L.C. baker:icon_thumleft:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
No, it does look some what the same though. This is a "Copperhead" funded project taking place in a K.G.C. held town in 1866. It is almost asured that all of the men pictured are affiliated with the Knights of the Golden Circle in a buisness type venture for a U.S. Government funded project. The K.G.C. loved to spend U.S. Government money on their own projects! it is one of three projects that took place that we think could have an underlying purpose.
thanks for your input, L.C. baker:icon_thumleft:

YOU already KNOW, then; WHY the "game-playing...?

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
For every one thing we know about this K.G.C. trail, there are three or four that we don't have figured out yet. We may never be able to decipher the codes completely. My dad is getting so old that he farts dust, and I am not in the best of shape any more myself. At some point we may give up the chase and sell what we have to the highest bidder. it's something to think about. I may consider putting all of the cache information and symbols and there gps coordinates into a real life Knights of the Golden Circle cache treasure hunt book, just to see if anyone out there has the brains and determination to locate them. There are at least ten caches in this trail and only one has been found to date.
L.C. baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Rebel, I have notes about my notes! Actually, the whole book idea came about when i decided that I was going to start loosing track of the beginning.:tongue3: We have come so far it was getting hard to recall the things that i used to know by heart about this trail. What with years of information that we had compiled, and some of it that we later proved to be wrong, and then the new correct information that we found out, It was mind boggling to say the least. I started from the beginning and wrote it out like a story to myself so I could keep track. Thanks to you and all of the others that have helped me along the way.

L.C.:icon_thumleft:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel, I have notes about my notes! Actually, the whole book idea came about when i decided that I was going to start loosing track of the beginning.:tongue3: We have come so far it was getting hard to recall the things that i used to know by heart about this trail. What with years of information that we had compiled, and some of it that we later proved to be wrong, and then the new correct information that we found out, It was mind boggling to say the least. I started from the beginning and wrote it out like a story to myself so I could keep track. Thanks to you and all of the others that have helped me along the way.

L.C.:icon_thumleft:

GREAT! Keep us INFORMED!

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Looks like some crew building a bridge to me. Most likely WPA.

American Bridge Company was founded in April 1900, through the JP Morgan-led consolidation of 28 of the largest U.S. steel fabricators and constructors. The company’s roots extend to the late 1860s, when one of the consolidated firms, Keystone Bridge Company, built the Eads Bridge, the first steel bridge over the Mississippi River, at St. Louis and still in use. In 1902, the company became a subsidiary of United States Steel as part of the Steel Trust consolidation.

Good guess.........

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Ever wonder how they managed to build something like a vault right under the U.S. Governments nose without looking suspicious?

Knights of the Golden Circle loved Railroad easements and major rivers access. And most of all, they loved to make the U.S. Government fund their projects!!!!

L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Do you think that Jesse James marked the treasures he buried for other k.G.C. members to recover, or was it to find his own way back to them?

L.C.:dontknow:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread