Orville Hickman Browning Lincolns Friend? and CRITIC

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Browning was a Whig delegate to the anti-Nebraska convention held at Bloomington, Illinois, in May 1856. This convention laid the foundations of the Republican Party.
Browning was appointed to fill the U.S. Senate seat of Stephen A. Douglas after Douglas' untimely death. Browning's bid for re-election as Senator from Illinois failed in 1862, leaving Abraham Lincoln with no personal friends in Congress. It was rumored that Lincoln was considering appointing Browning Secretary of the Interior to replace Caleb Blood Smith, but he did not become Secretary of the Interior until the Johnson administration.

President Andrew Johnson appointed him Secretary of the Interior serving from 1866 to 1869. Browning entered into a private law and lobbying practice in Washington, D.C., after the war, partnering with Thomas Ewing Sr. and his son, Thomas Ewing Jr..

When he died his wife agreed to turn over his private diary to the writers of his biography, only if they agreed to omit anything he said about Mary Todd Lincoln.......:icon_scratch:

Turns out that mr. Browning was having an affair with Mary Todd Lincoln......:icon_thumright:L.C.

They had many private meetings together. Sure would like to see those omitted Mary Todd entries in his diary.:laughing7:

NOW, we know why she was ALWAYS "depressed"; on the verge of a nervous break-down.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
NOW, we know why she was ALWAYS "depressed"; on the verge of a nervous break-down.

It makes you think. In those days if anyone cracked up and was about to open their mouth about things, the people in power would some times have them committed to a mental institution and deemed insane. Lobotomies were performed on many people to silence.............i mean help them.:tongue3: if necessary,
She would walk around with more than $57,000 sewn into her petticoat; visit clairvoyants in attempts to communicate with the dead; and express fears that someone was trying to slip poison into her drink. Her worried friends once believed she was going to jump out of a window to escape a non-existent fire. Sounds like a guilty conscious may have drove her mad to me.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/07/20100607lincoln-papers0607.html#ixzz2kowS5kGs
L.C.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It makes you think. In those days if anyone cracked up and was about to open their mouth about things, the people in power would some times have them committed to a mental institution and deemed insane. Lobotomies were performed on many people to silence.............i mean help them.:tongue3: if necessary,
She would walk around with more than $57,000 sewn into her petticoat; visit clairvoyants in attempts to communicate with the dead; and express fears that someone was trying to slip poison into her drink. Her worried friends once believed she was going to jump out of a window to escape a non-existent fire. Sounds like a guilty conscious may have drove her mad to me.

Read more: http://www.azcentral.com/news/articles/2010/06/07/20100607lincoln-papers0607.html#ixzz2kowS5kGs
L.C.

Abe & her had lost a son (Willie)... she was trying to "reach" him. MANY soldiers died in the CONFEDERATE WAR; THEIR spirits were PROBABLY "wandering around, lost in confusion" (TRAUMA); GETTYSBURG, PA is the MOST HAUNTED area. As a re-enactor for Co. I, 10th Va. (CSA, Thom. (Stonewall) Jackson's "foot cav."), we had MANY weird experiences, camping at night there... next to ORIGINAL battlefield); "THEY" were STILL "fighting"!

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

L.C.

Willie died at 11 years of age, Feb. 20, 1862; "google" THE DEATH OF WILLIE LINCOLN.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Willie died at 11 years of age, Feb. 20, 1862; "google" THE DEATH OF WILLIE LINCOLN.

Having suffered through child death myself, I know how that sort of thing can eat at a person. Add that to the fact that she was having affairs at the time Abe got killed, and the landslide of trauma that followed.......there is a good possibility that she went bonkers:tongue3:.
But being the analytical b@s%^& that i am......I am drawn to conclude that her suffering falls back to Mary Todd"s self esteem....the steam of her self. Her doings based on her own actions and thoughts. She didn't kill Willi or Abe, yet she feared that someone was trying to kill her. Why?:dontknow: She carried enough money sewn into her dress to make a quick escape to anywhere.....Why?:dontknow: No threats have ever been recorded against her life that I know of.

What I do know is that
One of the more serious charges leveled against her was that of treason. It did not escape the attention of the press that many of Mary’s siblings, particularly her half-siblings, were Confederates. One half sister, Emilie, came to live for a while with the Lincolns after her husband died in the Battle of Chickamauga, causing many to grumble about “rebels in the White House.” The accusations and innuendo reached a peak when another half sister, Martha, the wife of an active Confederate officer, arrived in Washington. Although the Lincolns refused to see her, rumors flew that upon her departure she carried medicine and other contraband items back for the Confederacy with the assistance of Mrs. Lincoln. Some even made the claim that Mary passed along military secrets as well. Given the tenor of the time, the Lincolns could not even publicly grieve over the deaths of Mary’s half brother and brother-in-law.
Several members of Congress and Mary Todd Lincoln herself were certain that Vice-President Johnson was involved in the conspiracy. Mary Todd openly accused Johnson and the door guard Parker of being involved in Abes Murder.
Andrew Johnson, the new president, refused to call on her while she remained in the White House following Lincoln’s death.
Did she go batty or did they silence her by destroying her credibility?(THAT WOMEN IS CRAZY! ARREST HER AND LOCK HER UP!) Could this be why she fled when she regained her freedom?:dontknow:
Did she have pillow talk with Orville Browning?(LEAKING SECRETS TO THE K.G.C.??) he did broker cotton for her confederate family during the war.....with the permits to do so, obtained from good ol honest Abe.
What do you guys think?

L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Abe & her had lost a son (Willie)... she was trying to "reach" him. MANY soldiers died in the CONFEDERATE WAR; THEIR spirits were PROBABLY "wandering around, lost in confusion" (TRAUMA); GETTYSBURG, PA is the MOST HAUNTED area. As a re-enactor for Co. I, 10th Va. (CSA, Thom. (Stonewall) Jackson's "foot cav."), we had MANY weird experiences, camping at night there... next to ORIGINAL battlefield); "THEY" were STILL "fighting"!

Did you have any direct relatives that died in the Civil War Rebel?
L.C.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
My Grandfather's OLDER brother was a flag-bearer for the REBELS (TOO young to fight); NOT killed in the CONFEDERATE WAR. I have REAL paper money (CSA), and some OTHER family items. I will look for the REAL CSA paper money, tomorrow; I have one that is torn in half... which MAY be a "pass" for REBELS (in secret) to "know" one another by matching torn "half-notes"; KGC...?

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I had a relative from WV(REBEL ARMY) that was captured and then escaped, but went home instead of back to the Rebel forces late in 1864. He was arrested for desertion, but later received a pardon from the C.S.A. War Department. On my Mothers side of the family in Fayette County. Please post some pics if you find that pass, i would like to see who signed it.

L.C. baker:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Having suffered through child death myself, I know how that sort of thing can eat at a person. Add that to the fact that she was having affairs at the time Abe got killed, and the landslide of trauma that followed.......there is a good possibility that she went bonkers:tongue3:.
But being the analytical b@s%^& that i am......I am drawn to conclude that her suffering falls back to Mary Todd"s self esteem....the steam of her self. Her doings based on her own actions and thoughts. She didn't kill Willi or Abe, yet she feared that someone was trying to kill her. Why?:dontknow: She carried enough money sewn into her dress to make a quick escape to anywhere.....Why?:dontknow: No threats have ever been recorded against her life that I know of.

What I do know is that
One of the more serious charges leveled against her was that of treason. It did not escape the attention of the press that many of Mary’s siblings, particularly her half-siblings, were Confederates. One half sister, Emilie, came to live for a while with the Lincolns after her husband died in the Battle of Chickamauga, causing many to grumble about “rebels in the White House.” The accusations and innuendo reached a peak when another half sister, Martha, the wife of an active Confederate officer, arrived in Washington. Although the Lincolns refused to see her, rumors flew that upon her departure she carried medicine and other contraband items back for the Confederacy with the assistance of Mrs. Lincoln. Some even made the claim that Mary passed along military secrets as well. Given the tenor of the time, the Lincolns could not even publicly grieve over the deaths of Mary’s half brother and brother-in-law.
Several members of Congress and Mary Todd Lincoln herself were certain that Vice-President Johnson was involved in the conspiracy. Mary Todd openly accused Johnson and the door guard Parker of being involved in Abes Murder.
Andrew Johnson, the new president, refused to call on her while she remained in the White House following Lincoln’s death.
Did she go batty or did they silence her by destroying her credibility?(THAT WOMEN IS CRAZY! ARREST HER AND LOCK HER UP!) Could this be why she fled when she regained her freedom?:dontknow:
Did she have pillow talk with Orville Browning?(LEAKING SECRETS TO THE K.G.C.??) he did broker cotton for her confederate family during the war.....with the permits to do so, obtained from good ol honest Abe.
What do you guys think?

L.C. Baker

Mary Lincoln's Father Robert Smith Todd Occupation: Lawyer, Merchant, Banker, Slave owner.brother George R.C. Todd and her half-brothers Alexander Todd, David Todd, and Samuel Todd all fought in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Alexander Todd was killed at Baton Rouge. Samuel Todd was killed in the Battle of Shiloh. David Todd was wounded at Vicksburg. Her half-sister Emilie Helm's husband was a Confederate general killed at Chickamauga. The husbands of her half-sisters, Martha White and Elodie Dawson were ardent supporters of the Confederacy.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Mary Lincoln's Father Robert Smith Todd Occupation: Lawyer, Merchant, Banker, Slave owner.brother George R.C. Todd and her half-brothers Alexander Todd, David Todd, and Samuel Todd all fought in the Confederate Army during the Civil War. Alexander Todd was killed at Baton Rouge. Samuel Todd was killed in the Battle of Shiloh. David Todd was wounded at Vicksburg. Her half-sister Emilie Helm's husband was a Confederate general killed at Chickamauga. The husbands of her half-sisters, Martha White and Elodie Dawson were ardent supporters of the Confederacy.

Perhaps this is why she was afraid of being poisoned......:dontknow: Maybe it also had something to do with Robert Todd lincoln as well. (second generation K.G.C.?) The money trail leads to Mr. Pullman who's lawyer became president of his company (upon his death)and then was also accused of............read about it

L.C.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
THE COMMON DENOMINATOR

Orville Hickman Browning - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Did you know he was an attorney for this man too, at one time sequestering himself for a lengthy time with President Lincoln behind closed doors in an effort to gain Beall's release? John Yates Beall - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia John Beall was arrested as a spy in New York. It seems as though a lot of Orville Browning's clients were confederate spies. Amazingly it was Orville Browning that pointed the first finger at the "Friends of John Beall" for being the group of people that conspired to kill President Lincoln. it would actually become an "illegitimate" conspiracy theory through out time. It is astonishing how powerful misinformation can be when it's used as a cloak coming out of a powerful man's mouth to the public.
How close were the K.G.C. to Lincoln? What powers of manipulation and control did they have over him? I have a feeling Orville Browning could have filled us in a lot better than me on those questions.

L.C.

For those that are interested : http://www.amazon.com/The-Ones-That-Got-Away/dp/1499593694

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Bingham found confirmation of Jefferson Davis's guilt in a letter of October 13, 1864, discovered in the possession of Booth after the assassination of Lincoln. The ciphered letter, which notified Booth that "their friends would be set to work as he had directed," was proven to have been typed on a cipher machine recovered from a room in Davis's State Department in Richmond. Finally, Bingham found incriminating Davis's reaction in North Carolina upon learning of the President's assassination: "If it were to be done at all, it were better that it were well done."

On October 13, 1864 the clerk of the Supreme Court announced that "the great and good Chief Justice is no more." He had died at the age of eighty-seven the previous evening, That was Chief justice Roger B. Taney. He is most remembered for delivering the majority opinion in Dred Scott v. Sandford (1857), that ruled, among other things, that African-Americans, having been considered inferior at the time the Constitution was drafted, were not part of the original community of citizens and, whether free or slave, could not be considered citizens of the United States.

President Lincoln made no public statement. Of his cabinet, Lincoln and three members —Secretary of State William H. Seward, Attorney General Edward Bates, and Postmaster General William Dennison— attended Taney's memorial service in Washington, D.C. Only Bates joined the cortège to Frederick, Maryland for Taney's funeral and burial. Taney, whose wife had pre-deceased him by nearly twenty years, was survived by two daughters: the sickly Ellen, and a second, widowed daughter with a small child; he left a small life insurance policy and a bundle of worthless Virginia bonds.
Taney was punished by abolitionists in the Senate after his death. In early 1865, the House of Representatives passed a bill to appropriate funds for a bust of Taney to be displayed in the Supreme Court. "Now an emancipated country should make a bust to the author of the Dred Scott decision?" exclaimed the indignant Senator Charles Sumner. "If a man has done evil in his life, he must not be complimented in marble." Sumner proposed that a vacant spot, not a bust of Taney, be left in the courtroom "to speak in warning to all who would betray liberty!"

Sumner had long exhibited a bitter dislike of the late Chief Justice. Upon hearing the news of Taney's passing the previous year, he wrote President Abraham Lincoln in celebration declaring that "Providence has given us a victory" in Taney's death.

Taney's successor was Chief Justice Salmon Chase. Orville Browning's diary entry on October 13th 1864 reflects that Browning had prior knowledge of Salmon P. Chase replacing Taney upon his death. Browning was in direct contact with Jefferson Davis and Benjamin Ficklin on a daily basis...... Could this be what Davis was referring to in the ciphered letter to Booth, notifying him that "their friends (Chase, Browning, Ficklin, and Singleton) would be set to work as he (Davis) had directed," Preparing to sell the Souths Cotton to the North without having to take the pledge of allegiance?

What had Salmon P. Chase been trying to do for Jefferson Davis, Orville Browning and Benjamin Ficklin?

"“This very matter of the granting of permits by Mr. Salmon P. Chase to bring cotton into our lines, in contravention of his own published regulations, may prove the spark for an explosion at any moment."

Think about it! L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
September 1864, Orville H. Browning wrote a friend that he was never "able to persuade myself that [President Lincoln] was big enough for his position."1 One of the mysteries of the Lincoln-Browning friendship is that Browning seemed to have so little real respect for a legal and political associate that he knew for three decades.
The handsome, stately, suave college man and finished orator regarded himself as superior to the homely, self-educated, rough and ready stump-speaker Lincoln and Browning fancied his wife Mary Todd as well". Browning frequently visited Mrs. Lincoln - with and without his wife or Abe present.
The President proclaimed a draft emancipation - and Browning repeatedly opposed his actions as unwise, writing in his diary the night before it was officially proclaimed on January 1, 1863: "There is no hope. The proclamation will come - God grant that it may not be productive of the mischief I fear."
Now you know what the mystery was all about.

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The K.G.C./ O.A.K. acquired positions in the federal government by appointment, most of them for offices they were not running for. It drew less speculation from the public that they had a malevolent agenda for obtaining certain offices.

Once Mr. Lincoln was elected, Browning tried to be circumspect ( cautiously, prudently, an discreetly )in his own ambitions for patronage, but wrote Mr. Lincoln when a vacancy appeared on the Supreme Court. Historian David M. Silver wrote: "Browning felt a strong personal distaste for what he was doing and told Lincoln that he was unwilling for everyone to know that he had solicited the post. 'I am willing you shall know that I do desire the office - I am not willing that the world shall,' he wrote the President. He feared that his ambition might become publicly known, and he asked Lincoln to spare that humiliation.

Humiliation? or Guilt?

L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
On April 9, 1865, Confederate General Robert E. Lee surrendered to Union General Ulysses S. Grant. Early on the morning of April 14, famous stage actor and Confederate sympathizer John Wilkes Booth wrote in his diary, "Our cause being almost lost, something decisive and great must be done."

This gives us a glimpse of truth in the fact that Booth had knowledge of another venture that could still save the South even after Gen. Lee's surrender.

Think about it, L.C.:thumbsup:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A "bit" of MY R & I; John W. Booth was a PERSONAL friend of John Yates Beall (CSA). Booth pleaded with Lincoln NOT to allow Beall to be hung by Yanks in New York (Johnson Island Prison); Lincoln refused to intervene & Beall WAS hung. SO!
JWB went to Baltimore Castle of Copperheads/KGC "Peace Democrats", and "set things in motion"; the REST became HISTORY!

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
A "bit" of MY R & I; John W. Booth was a PERSONAL friend of John Yates Beall (CSA). Booth pleaded with Lincoln NOT to allow Beall to be hung by Yanks in New York (Johnson Island Prison); Lincoln refused to intervene & Beall WAS hung. SO!
JWB went to Baltimore Castle of Copperheads/KGC "Peace Democrats", and "set things in motion"; the REST became HISTORY!

You should read Orville Browning's diary....the unpublished half in Springfield at the Lincoln Library......you will change your tune about the friends of John Y. Beall being responsible for Lincoln's assassination.....
Do you know who represented John Beall behind the public's eye? It was Orville Browning. It wasn't John Wilkes Booth who pleaded with Abe Lincoln for his K.G.C. brother John Beall's life it was Orville Browning. What does a guilty man do to save his own neck from the noose?:icon_scratch: He is usually the one to ACCUSE somebody else and be the first to start a rumor that it's true......and then have it published by Thurlow Weed the biggest shaper of opinions of that time!!!!!!

L.C.:occasion14:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
He was also the same lawyer that prepared these conspirator's defenses behind closed doors........ He seemed to have a knack for making sure they did not talk if he couldn't get them off. To quote a good friend and Brother of mine...."GOOGLE IT":laughing7: L.C.

browning clients.jpg

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread