Orville Hickman Browning Lincolns Friend? and CRITIC

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Orville Hickman Browning Lincoln's Friend? and CRITIC

Browning was a Whig delegate to the anti-Nebraska convention held at Bloomington, Illinois, in May 1856. This convention laid the foundations of the Republican Party.
Browning was appointed to fill the U.S. Senate seat of Stephen A. Douglas after Douglas' untimely death. Browning's bid for re-election as Senator from Illinois failed in 1862, leaving Abraham Lincoln with no personal friends in Congress. It was rumored that Lincoln was considering appointing Browning Secretary of the Interior to replace Caleb Blood Smith, but he did not become Secretary of the Interior until the Johnson administration.

President Andrew Johnson appointed him Secretary of the Interior serving from 1866 to 1869. Browning entered into a private law and lobbying practice in Washington, D.C., after the war, partnering with Thomas Ewing Sr. and his son, Thomas Ewing Jr..

When he died his wife agreed to turn over his private diary to the writers of his biography, only if they agreed to omit anything he said about Mary Todd Lincoln.......:icon_scratch:

Turns out that mr. Browning was having an affair with Mary Todd Lincoln......:icon_thumright:L.C.

They had many private meetings together. Sure would like to see those omitted Mary Todd entries in his diary.:laughing7:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Browning was a Whig delegate to the anti-Nebraska convention held at Bloomington, Illinois, in May 1856. This convention laid the foundations of the Republican Party. "Whig" was then a widely recognized label of choice for people who identified as opposing tyranny. The party leader was Henry Clay. Clay was born on April 12, 1777, at the Clay homestead in Hanover County, Virginia, in a story-and-a-half frame house. It was an above-average home for a common Virginia planter of that time. At the time of his death, Clay's father owned more than 22 slaves, making him part of the planter class in Virginia.
Now if the Anti Nebraska convention laid the foundation for the republican party as stated, then the Knights of the Golden circle installed ground floor republicans (Copperheads) into the party from it's beginning. Orville Browning was tight with Abe Lincoln....and even tighter with mary Todd from what I have read. President Lincoln confided things to him that he spoke of to nobody but Orville. Now just imagine if Orville Browning was a member of the Knights of the Golden Circle that had infiltrated the Republican party from it's beginning in May of 1856

Lincoln/Net: Great Anti-Nebraska Convention

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
More to come on Browning's involvement: please fill free to let me know anything that I may have missed.

Thanks, L.C. Baker

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"Fishing" for your book, eh...?

I never claimed to "know it all".......I want to know it all...LOL:laughing7: I will leave no stone unturned in my search for the truth. Orville Browning has already been identified by our research, there is no question about that. I want to know if anyone else out there knew anything that i didn't already know.:icon_thumleft:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I never claimed to "know it all".......I want to know it all...LOL:laughing7: I will leave no stone unturned in my search for the truth. Orville Browning has already been identified by our research, there is no question about that. I want to know if anyone else out there knew anything that i didn't already know.:icon_thumleft:

LOL!

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
A personal and political friend of President Lincoln, Browning was a frequent visitor to the White House, discussing political and military affairs as well as reading poetry. Browning and the President often went on rides together. Sometimes, he attended church with the Lincolns and returned with them to the White House for Sunday lunch. During his short term, he often seemed to serve as the President's spokesman in the Senate.
You know how bad those Knights of the Golden Circle liked to weasel into the supreme court from my past posts.
Browning had unsuccessfully sought appointment to the Supreme Court in 1861; David Davis got the appointment to a third Court vacancy in August 1862. Browning's wife herself wrote the President on June 8, 1861 to urge the appointment of her husband because "I know my husband to be one of the wisest, best men in the Nation." Browning himself wrote Mr. Lincoln on April 9, 1861: "You know me about as well as I know myself; and in regard to my fitness for the office you know me better—for you occupy a far better stand point for the formation of a fair and impartial judgment than I do....I say frankly, and without any sort of disguise or affectation, that there is nothing in your power to do for me which would gratify me so much as this. It is an office peculiarly adapted to my tastes, and the faithful and honest performance of the duties of which would be my highest pride and ambition
Maurice Baxter observed: “In these summer months of 1861 Browning was a frequent visitor at the White House. Developing his long friendship with Lincoln to the point of becoming an intimate confidant, he often made informal calls on the President, who seemed to welcome such breaks in a routine of wearisome tasks." 1861 was pretty important year for the K.G.C. considering the Civil War just started.....
Senator Browning continued to be a trusted confidante during the period—which included the attempt by Radical Senators to oust William H. Seward and reorganize the Cabinet in the wake of the Union defeat at Fredericksburg. On December 1862, Browning recorded in his diary that Mr. Lincoln complained: "They wish to get rid of me, and I am sometimes half disposed to gratify them...We are now on the brink of destruction. It appears to me the Almighty is against us, and I can hardly see a ray of hope." The President complained of the effort to remove Seward: "Why will men believe a lie, an absurd lie, that could not impose upon a child, and cling to it and repeat it in defiance of all evidence to the contrary." Mr. Lincoln was more hopeful the next day, saying to Browning that he was trying to "keep things along."15 Over the next several days, he continued to talk with the President and helped to keep Seward in the Cabinet. By December 22, Browning wrote in his diary that he told Mr. Lincoln that the Radical senators' "game was to drive all the cabinet out—then force upon him the recall of Mr Salmon P. Chase (a suspected COPPERHEAD) as Premier, and form a cabinet of ultra men around him. [Mr. Lincoln] said with a good deal of emphasis that he was master, and they should not do that.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
HOW THE K.G.C. SOLD COTTON RIGHT THROUGH THE GOVERNMENT BLOCKADES

Although a trusted friend who presumed upon the friendship for favors and patronage, Browning doubted Lincoln's leadership abilities as President and supported Edward Bates for the Republican nomination in 1860. (Lincoln himself voted against Browning for State's Attorney in the first legislative session in which he served.) After he lost 1862 election, Browning opened a successful law firm. He also tried to be cotton broker and get trading permits for friends — which President Lincoln permitted but General Ulysses S. Grant and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton effectively blocked in late 1864 and early 1865. SO FROM 1861 UNTIL 1863 BROWNING GOT AWAY WITH IT!Browning used his friendship with the President to press his patronage and pardon requests. Among the beneficiaries of his pressure was the President's own brother-in-law, Ninian Edwards, husband of Elizabeth Todd Edwards.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Browning’s loyalty to Lincoln, however, was questionable – especially in the election of 1864. “He refused to come out definitely in favor of either nominee, because, he said, he had not talked as a politician since the beginning of hostilities at Sumter,” wrote biographer Maurice Baxter. “Browning was indeed in doubt as to which candidate was preferable for the presidency.” He wrote Edgar Cowan: “You know, strange as it may seem to you, that I am personally attached to the President, and have faithfully tried to uphold him, and make him respectable; tho’ I never been to persuade myself that he was big enough for his position. Still, I thought he might get through, as many a boy through college, without disgrace, and without knowledge; and I fear he is a failure.”
Knowing what I know about orville browning and Mrs. Mary Todd Lincoln, just adds to the satire of Orville Brownings private written statements about Lincoln.

L.C. Baker

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
In the state Senate in 1837 Orville Browning had
drawn a report condemning abolitionism; he had also voted without
question for the more savage House resolutions against which
Lincoln and Stone had protested

Was this man a member of the K.G.C.? a Copperhead that was placed on the ground floor of the Republican party? Trying all he can do to get into the Supreme Court? Think about it. L.C. Baker:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
IF IT LOOKS LIKE A COPPERHEAD AND BITES LIKE A COPPERHEAD......

Lincoln was quite liberal in his treatment of political opponents and the opposition press. He was by no means the dictator critics often accused him of being. Nevertheless, his abrogating of civil liberties, especially his suspension of the privilege of the writ of habeas corpus, disturbed Democrats, Republicans, and even members of his own cabinet. In the opinion of a soldier from Massachusetts, the president, “without the people having any legal means to prevent it, is only prevented from exercising a Russian despotism by the fear he may have of shocking too much the sense of decency of the whole world.” Even Lincoln's friend Orville Hickman Browning believed the arrests ordered by the president were “illegal and arbitrary, and did more harm than good, weakening instead of strengthening the government.” Yet Lincoln defended his actions, arguing that the Constitution provided for the suspension of such liberties “in cases of Rebellion or Invasion, [when] the public Safety may require it.” Moreover, posed Lincoln with rhetorical flare, “Must I shoot a simpleminded soldier boy who deserts” and “not touch a hair of a wilely agitator who induces him to desert?”

L.C. BAKER:icon_thumleft:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
SOUTHERN GOLD CAME FROM COTTON SALES WHEN IT WAS ILLEGAL TO SALE COTTON

The Confederacy's first secret-service agent may have been James D. Bulloch. In 1861, almost immediately after the attack on Fort Sumter, Bulloch traveled to Liverpool, England, and established a base of operations there. Britain was officially neutral in the conflict between North and South, but private and public sentiment favored the Confederacy. Britain was also willing to buy all the cotton that could be smuggled past the Union blockade, which provided the South with its only real source of hard currency.

only real source of hard currency = gold

This would make a Copperhead cotton broker that was personal friends with United States President Abraham Lincoln and Secretary of War Edwin McMasters Stanton, pretty darn high up on the K.G.C. roster. Orville H.Browning dealt with Stanton and Lincoln almost daily, he was the man to talk to if you wanted to move your cotton during the war. Up until late 1863 when they shut them down. Then he became even more important, because strangely enough, Browning was still able to sell southern cotton for southern people with special permission that he was able to obtain ...?? "PERMITS with the right signatures" This would make him a very important man to know for people in the South and the Copperheads in the North. Not to mention , Orville Browning was savvy to things that Lincoln told no one else.

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Although a "trusted" friend who presumed upon the friendship for favors and patronage, Browning doubted Lincoln's leadership abilities as President. Browning used his friendship with the President to press his patronage and pardon requests. Browning also got away with the K.G.C. cotton broker scheme and obtaining special permits for his "FRIENDS"to travel to Richmond, and get trading permits for friends — which President Lincoln permitted but General Ulysses S. Grant and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton effectively blocked in late 1864 and early 1865
Blocked by U.S. Grant himself??? What did Ulysses Grant suspect or already know about Browning by 1864?????????:occasion14: That shut down the cotton business and special permission slips? Special Permition permits to leave Washington for Richmond, just like the permits Browning obtained from the War Department,(Stanton)on the morning of April 14th. Permits obtained for some German refugees to leave Washington D.C. and return to their families in Richmond Virginia on April 14th, 1865. :dontknow: I wonder if these german refugees looked like assassins? read about it in his personal diary.
L.C. Baker:icon_thumleft:

OHB BEALE.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Orville Hickman browning was the DREAM MOLE of the Knights of the Golden Circle until 1865. he was in and out of the white house and the war department, abreast of all situations, big, small, or SECRET!
His records need scrutinized for earlier K.G.C. activities. Look at his other friends...:icon_scratch:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Although a "trusted" friend who presumed upon the friendship for favors and patronage, Browning doubted Lincoln's leadership abilities as President. Browning used his friendship with the President to press his patronage and pardon requests. Browning also got away with the K.G.C. cotton broker scheme and obtaining special permits for his "FRIENDS"to travel to Richmond, and get trading permits for friends — which President Lincoln permitted but General Ulysses S. Grant and Secretary of War Edwin M. Stanton effectively blocked in late 1864 and early 1865
Blocked by U.S. Grant himself??? What did Ulysses Grant suspect or already know about Browning by 1864?????????:occasion14: That shut down the cotton business and special permission slips? Special Permition permits to leave Washington for Richmond, just like the two permits Browning obtained from the War Department,(Stanton)on the morning of April 14th. Permits obtained for some German refugees to leave Washington D.C. and return to their families in Richmond Virginia on April 14th, 1865. :dontknow: I wonder if these german refugees looked like assassins? read about it.........
L.C. Baker:icon_thumleft:

Whay exactly would Orville Browning have to do with german Refugees?:dontknow: from Richmond?:icon_scratch:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The Singleton Business that browning was taliking to Lincoln about on the morning of April14th 1865 was about cotton sales.

Browning seemed to be reaching the limits of his influence. Browning wrote on January 30, 1865 that his partner, General James Singleton has "brought back contracts for seven millions dollars worth of Cotton, Tobacco, Rosin and Turpentine, which will make us rich if we can only get it out."24 On February 1, "Singleton & I went to the Presidents, and had a talk about public affairs - Singleton reporting who he saw, and what was said in Richmond. He then showed [President Lincoln] his contracts, and told him he only wanted protection in getting out what he had bought - the whole to be paid for in Green backs. He expressed himself pleased with what was done - said he wanted to get out all he could, and send in all the Green backs he could exchange, and that he would do for us all that he could."25

This transaction was apparently interrupted by Congressman Elihu B. Washburne, who opposed such traffic in contraband. Washburne and President Lincoln had a heated discussion on deals like the one engineered by Singleton and took up a presidential challenge to have General Ulysses S. Grant put a stop to it. "By the next boat, subsequent to this interview, the Congressman left Washington for the headquarters of General Grant. He returned shortly afterward to the city, and so likewise did [Joseph] Mattox and Singleton. Grant had countermanded the permits,"

CERTAINLY GREED WAS NOT WHAT GOT LINCOLN KILLED!:laughing7: More to come, L.C. Baker:icon_thumleft:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The Singleton Business that browning was taliking to Lincoln about on the morning of April14th 1865 was about cotton sales.

Browning seemed to be reaching the limits of his influence. Browning wrote on January 30, 1865 that his partner, General James Singleton has "brought back contracts for seven millions dollars worth of Cotton, Tobacco, Rosin and Turpentine, which will make us rich if we can only get it out."24 On February 1, "Singleton & I went to the Presidents, and had a talk about public affairs - Singleton reporting who he saw, and what was said in Richmond. He then showed [President Lincoln] his contracts, and told him he only wanted protection in getting out what he had bought - the whole to be paid for in Green backs. He expressed himself pleased with what was done - said he wanted to get out all he could, and send in all the Green backs he could exchange, and that he would do for us all that he could."25

This transaction was apparently interrupted by Congressman Elihu B. Washburne, who opposed such traffic in contraband. Washburne and President Lincoln had a heated discussion on deals like the one engineered by Singleton and took up a presidential challenge to have General Ulysses S. Grant put a stop to it. "By the next boat, subsequent to this interview, the Congressman left Washington for the headquarters of General Grant. He returned shortly afterward to the city, and so likewise did [Joseph] Mattox and Singleton. Grant had countermanded the permits,"

CERTAINLY GREED WAS NOT WHAT GOT LINCOLN KILLED!:laughing7: More to come, L.C. Baker:icon_thumleft:

orville browning 004.jpg Browning was talking a cotton deal with Singleton the day Lincoln was shot.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Orville Browning.......personal friend of Lincoln.....couldn't stop cotton brokering from the south in this dire time? Daily dealings with new president, Andrew Johnson and U.S. Grant to move that product (TOBACCO and COTTON). Inter Mr. Thurlow Weed........ Weed allied with President Andrew Johnson against the Radical Republicans, endorsing Johnson's conservative and white-supremacist Reconstruction policies. This essentially ended Weed's political career in the Republican Party.

orville browning 009.jpg

Why couldn't they talk openly in front of those other gentlemen?:dontknow:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread