Why Is The Letter "M" A Good Sign?

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
What does it mean and why is it considered a good sign? I have found rock carvings with an "M' carved on them, also old marker trees and I have also found 2 marble blocks, roughly 4 to 6 inches square, with nothing more than an "M" carved on them.

Everyone I have ask has said that M is a good sign for treasure. Is it a KGC mark or does it have to do with someone else or another group? What exactly does it mean?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
What does it mean and why is it considered a good sign? I have found rock carvings with an "M' carved on them, also old marker trees and I have also found 2 marble blocks, roughly 4 to 6 inches square, with nothing more than an "M" carved on them.

Everyone I have ask has said that M is a good sign for treasure. Is it a KGC mark or does it have to do with someone else or another group? What exactly does it mean?

COULD be property boundary "markers" (lines) for the "M Family"...

texasred777

Bronze Member
Nov 21, 2013
Mountain Home, Idaho
Detector(s) used
BH Lone Star, BH Tracker IV, BH Tracker 2-D/707, Harbor Freight MD-3005, and 2 BH 840
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Just my thoughts; but could it just mean 'marker', indicating that it is a marker for whatever it's there for.

OP
OP
PoplarHill

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Thanks for the info! I am actually researching a lost family treasure here in Alabama. When I first started, I thought it was a local family oriented treasure, but different signs and facts I have came across point towards all involved being Confederate Freemasons. Through my research and field work, I have also found many signs which I have been told were KGC. I am just stating to learn some about the KGC and have started posting some here with questions. I don't know if they were involved with the KGC or if this "family" treasure is actually a KGC depository. I like to keep an open mind though and try to sift through everything I can find out and not discount something just because it is not a more popular idea.

I'm going to start sharing some of my story, which I think is very interesting, even if I have not found any treasure yet. I am still in the research stages right now, tracking down old family history, sites and graves. There are many specific details I will not mention to anyone, such as specific names and date or areas, out of fear others will try and "jump my claim" so to speak.

I will start with this. My family was one of the first to settle in one of the oldest town to be settled in Alabama. They were well off for the time and built a mill along a creek and ran a toll booth for the Federal Rd. which it was located on. This mill was built between 1834 and 1838. It was continuously passed down through the family and remained in operation until the middle 1930's when a new highway was built a mile to the west and the mill burned down. Over the years they intermarried into the other 3 families who first settled the area. These other 3 families were somewhat well off and the patriarch of one being on the Alabama Legislature during the 1840's. I have found most of these peoples grave sites and did lots of research on them. From the 1830's through the early 1900's I can find records of who they were and their children from old records on the mill, but no real information. No birth dates or death dates. Can't even find property records until the 1920's when it was passed to one of the grandsons that was the last mill operator and drown in the 30's. It has been passed down through the family that during the 1930's when the mill finally closed and burned, that the family wanted to move because they were a mile from the road (the original Federal road where the mill was located wasn't much more than a rutted out trail at this point) but he wouldn't leave. They really didn't make a living anymore, but it has been said he always said he stayed because he had to. He fell off the mill dam doing repairs and drown underneath in the 30's. Shortly after the actual mill burned down and all that is left now is part of the old dam.

One theme is recurring. During the Civil War, all the male members from these families enlisted with the CSA. All members of the 3 families were members of the Freemasons and enlisted as officers right off the bat. All other families that had settled into the area during the preceding 20 years that were not members of the Masons enlisted as Privates. Every family had all able bodied male members enlisted except for one............ my family which owned the mill and toll booth. Nothing can be found as to why none were called to service and I find this a mystery. This was a time when only money or power would keep you from being enlisted, but then again, many records can be found about their business such as the mill and toll booth, but next to nothing can be found about the actual people until you get to the members in more modern times after the turn of the century. You can't find birth or death records of any of them and so far, they are the only family that I have not been able to locate their graves.

With some of the KGC information I am learning, I have wondered if they may have been members....... or sentinels. Something doesn't add up when researching them.

Another thing I have found through research, old maps, family Bibles, feild work etc, is that the other prominent founding family, the patriarch I mentioned earlier as an ALabama Legislator, and his 4 sons whom were also Freemasons, are buried in 5 different cemeteries. 3 of these cemeteries I had to research and find myself because they are overgrown in the woods. It took a little over a year for me to do the legwork, but I believe the way they are buried provides some type of clue.

The shape of the cemeteries make a perfect "+" sign. I never realized this until I started using GPS and Google Maps, even though I had found and known of the cemeteries for years. In the center of the + sign is a well kept cemetery where the patriarch is buried. Exactly 1980 feet to the south (almost a half mile or exactly 3 furlongs, which is a favored measurement of Freemasons) is a small cemetery and one of his sons is buried there. 1980 feet to the north is another cemetery with one of his sons buried. Exactly 2640 (1/2 mile or 4 furlongs) to the east is another cemetery with another of his son's buried here and the fifth cemetery is exactly 2640 feet to the east. The north and south arms of the cross that it makes on a map are 3 furlongs and the east and west branches are 4 furlongs, which makes a cross that is 3/4 mile north to south and 1 mile east to west.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread