Death Loves A Shining Mark

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I found this inscribed on an old tombstone of a wife from one of the local families I am researching. She was the wife of a Master Mason and daughter of a Mason as well and belonged to the Order of the Eastern Star.

Maybe it was a cultural saying or maybe it has more meaning. I know it struck me as something odd as an epitaph on a stone. I have researched it on the net and it is part of a line from Edward Young's, Night Thoughts V. It is line 1011. The whole line is "Death loves a shining mark, A signal blow."

I did some searching on the net about any links between this line and the Order of the Eastern Star or the Free Masons and found nothing.

Do you guys think this is part of a clue or just a favorite saying, like common Bible verses on a tombstone? From what little I have researched on treasure signs, there's a lot I "could" come up with. Maybe it's a warning of a death trap. Maybe the part that wasn't written is part of the clue. Maybe to look for some type of signal.......... maybe a blowing cave on a humid morning. Maybe it has to do with it being line 1011. This could translate into J.K. or J.A.A., or maybe the numbers have a completely different meaning, or maybe nothing at all.

All input is more than welcome. I would love to hear different ideas and theories.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I think I may have tied this one in.

MARK Mason degree in Royal Arch Masonry; he MAY have been "working on" his MARK Mason degree, or was a MARK Mason. AND! You MAY have MASON MARKS & "THE LIGHT" implies SUN SHADOW SIGNS.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I have thought about this and did some hunting around, but the only thing I can come up with is that the brighter someone shines in life the easier target they are for death, and the shiny ones seem to be the ones that death aims at first.

L.C.

OP
OP
PoplarHill

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I have thought about this and did some hunting around, but the only thing I can come up with is that the brighter someone shines in life the easier target they are for death, and the shiny ones seem to be the ones that death aims at first.

L.C.
This is the same conclusion I am coming to. I thought I might of had something along the lines of what Rebel said earlier, but it doesn't seem to be the case.

10claw

Aug 16, 2009
One thing for certain-- if DEATH does like a shining mark-- it sure does leave a BLACK spot. Not dissing, just plain truth.
Might be nice to learn where this saying originated and for what purpose. I just be's curious about it.:coffee2::coffee2:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Late to the party. I feel that this was a local or maybe liked saying by the deceased. Nowhere in the ritual is this phase contained. If the final part to the quote would have been written on the tombstone I would say that there would be a marker. Don't read to much into some of the epitaphs. People of the 1800's and early 1900's were far better read than those of the late 21 century. Keats, Bacon, Shakespeare, et al were quoted more by them than Danielle Steele or Steven King are today.

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Late to the party. I feel that this was a local or maybe liked saying by the deceased. Nowhere in the ritual is this phase contained. If the final part to the quote would have been written on the tombstone I would say that there would be a marker. Don't read to much into some of the epitaphs. People of the 1800's and early 1900's were far better read than those of the late 21 century. Keats, Bacon, Shakespeare, et al were quoted more by them than Danielle Steele or Steven King are today.

S.D.

The OTHER thing to keep in mind, is that Bro. Rob MORRIS (1818-1888) & founder of O.E.S., had a book on poetry published "back then"; sounds like something HE would do. HE was POET LAUREATE of MASONRY; MAYBE, some poems were/are "coded"...

Last edited:

ivan salis

Gold Member
Feb 5, 2007
callahan,fl
🏆 Honorable Mentions:
Detector(s) used
delta 4000 / ace 250 - used BH and many others too
kind of a "only the good die young"... sort of quote ...as in.... death seems to like to take the "bright / shining / good" people it often seems like death (marks) them as"targets" .

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
So true Rebel.I have read some of his work. Need to revisit it as it may make more sense now. Pike and Morris were contemporaries and this is my own opinion. Both had a hand in the K.G.C. at least writing the ritual. Pike was more the politician where Morris was in his own Masonic world. Notice that both Pike and Morris were in close proximity to each other at the start of the K.G.C.Rob Morris (Freemason) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You can say one of the big four MacKey, Pike, Mc Coy, Morris at the middle part of that century in the Masonic World. Four giants that would not be replaced until the early 21 century by Waite, Hall, and Cowles. This is my own opinion and it cost you just what you paid for it.

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
So true Rebel.I have read some of his work. Need to revisit it as it may make more sense now. Pike and Morris were contemporaries and this is my own opinion. Both had a hand in the K.G.C. at least writing the ritual. Pike was more the politician where Morris was in his own Masonic world. Notice that both Pike and Morris were in close proximity to each other at the start of the K.G.C.Rob Morris (Freemason) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia You can say one of the big four MacKey, Pike, Mc Coy, Morris at the middle part of that century in the Masonic World. Four giants that would not be replaced until the early 21 century by Waite, Hall, and Cowles. This is my own opinion and it cost you just what you paid for it.

S.D.

Agree, S.D. ...

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel glad that you agree with what I charge for my opinions!!! Lols. Would not want to over charge anyone that's why I charge what I do.

S.D.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Although it is uncertain when Freemasonry came to the Great Lakes area, it is known that it was first brought to the area by the French at a time when it was Indian Territory. The earliest documented Lodge west of the Allegheny Mountains was warranted in Detroit on April 27, 1764.
Lewis Cass served as a governor of the Michigan Territory, an at the same time he was an American ambassador, a U.S. Senator representing Michigan, and co-founder as well as first Masonic Grand Master of the Grand Lodge of Michigan.
In September 1817 Zion Lodge provided much needed support for the newly created University of Michigan. The idea first took shape in the minds of Augustus Woodward, a Mason and the first Judge of the Territorial Supreme Court; the Reverend John Monteith, a Presbyterian clergyman and Father Gabriel Richard, a Roman Catholic Priest.
Now that Lewis Cass has been tied at the hip to J.Sterling Morton and the both of them to Fenner Ferguson, one has to speculate on when the Freemason + K.G.C. link occurred and if it was something else before the K.G.C. that was already linked to all of those men = Freemasons. I have to wonder about the Catholic connections too.

L.C.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. the connection goes back to the beginning of or arrival of the Scottish Rite in Charleston, S.C. One only needs to follow two generations from its introduction to the founding of the K.G.C. Look at its members cross link them and it becomes evident.

The Masonic Fraternity came to the Americas about as soon as the settlers and government officials arrived. Free masonry was well rooted in France As well as England. It was the wealthy and the educated that brought it over. It was when the they got here that it became accessible to the common man. A Masonic brother of mine who as very brilliant gave a speech the meat of it was. To make a town grow there needed to be four elements. 1. A general store 2. A church 3. A school 4. A Masonic lodge. These things would make people want move there. They took care of both their physical, spiritual, and social needs.

The Catholic connection to masonry has always been one in the shadows. I have been present at and have presided at the initiation, passing, and raising of quite a few of those of the Catholic faith. A few did it to become Shriners. We had others who were very true and loyal members. Our local parish priest didn't like it but never turned down their money. Mainly I would say that they as in all times past the connection was that of acceptance. Whether it angered the church or not. It matters not to me what faith you are but that you believe in a higher power. God as you choose to perceive him.

As far as the K.G.C. connection look at the number of Catholics in southern Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, and Georgia. For them I believe it was a states rights issue. The K.G.C. was something they could embrace without angering the church.

I hope this brings some light on that subject.

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I found this inscribed on an old tombstone of a wife from one of the local families I am researching. She was the wife of a Master Mason and daughter of a Mason as well and belonged to the Order of the Eastern Star.

Maybe it was a cultural saying or maybe it has more meaning. I know it struck me as something odd as an epitaph on a stone. I have researched it on the net and it is part of a line from Edward Young's, Night Thoughts V. It is line 1011. The whole line is "Death loves a shining mark, A signal blow."

I did some searching on the net about any links between this line and the Order of the Eastern Star or the Free Masons and found nothing.

Do you guys think this is part of a clue or just a favorite saying, like common Bible verses on a tombstone? From what little I have researched on treasure signs, there's a lot I "could" come up with. Maybe it's a warning of a death trap. Maybe the part that wasn't written is part of the clue. Maybe to look for some type of signal.......... maybe a blowing cave on a humid morning. Maybe it has to do with it being line 1011. This could translate into J.K. or J.A.A., or maybe the numbers have a completely different meaning, or maybe nothing at all.

All input is more than welcome. I would love to hear different ideas and theories.

:icon_thumleft: FOUND IT! Edward Young (1742-1745); from NIGHT THOUGHTS. Full Quote: "Death loves a shining mark, a SIGNAL blow."

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The "Graveyard Poets", also termed “Churchyard Poets” or "the Boneyard Boys” were a number of pre-Romantic English poets of the 18th century characterized by their gloomy meditations on mortality, 'skulls and coffins, epitaphs and worms' elicited by the presence of the graveyard. Moving beyond the elegy lamenting a single death, their purpose was rarely sensationalist..........so I guess it was more of a common practice than not.

L.C.:thumbsup:

Graveyard poets - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C. the connection goes back to the beginning of or arrival of the Scottish Rite in Charleston, S.C. One only needs to follow two generations from its introduction to the founding of the K.G.C. Look at its members cross link them and it becomes evident.

The Masonic Fraternity came to the Americas about as soon as the settlers and government officials arrived. Free masonry was well rooted in France As well as England. It was the wealthy and the educated that brought it over. It was when the they got here that it became accessible to the common man. A Masonic brother of mine who as very brilliant gave a speech the meat of it was. To make a town grow there needed to be four elements. 1. A general store 2. A church 3. A school 4. A Masonic lodge. These things would make people want move there. They took care of both their physical, spiritual, and social needs.

The Catholic connection to masonry has always been one in the shadows. I have been present at and have presided at the initiation, passing, and raising of quite a few of those of the Catholic faith. A few did it to become Shriners. We had others who were very true and loyal members. Our local parish priest didn't like it but never turned down their money. Mainly I would say that they as in all times past the connection was that of acceptance. Whether it angered the church or not. It matters not to me what faith you are but that you believe in a higher power. God as you choose to perceive him.

As far as the K.G.C. connection look at the number of Catholics in southern Louisiana, Mississippi, Florida, and Georgia. For them I believe it was a states rights issue. The K.G.C. was something they could embrace without angering the church.

I hope this brings some light on that subject.

S.D.

I agree S.D. The connections I have became aware of are the ones to the colleges that were established by these gentlemen and then their presence on the board. In Michigan's case, the Governor and several of his cabinet members sat on the University's board. A lot of these particular gentlemen have been implicated as being involved to some extent with the K.G.C. Transylvania U is another example of these same sort of gentlemen doing the same thing during that crucial time of secession discussion period and young men at V.M.I. were already starting to choose sides in an impending Civil War. As we Masonic Brothers know, our organization would come to and end if it were not for the newly initiated young men coming into the brotherhood. On the same hand it is easy to see that certain individuals with specific traits of character and personal knowledge and desired capabilities (and perhaps coincidentally the loss of there father at a young age....) were selected for special positions in the United States Government and it's Judicial system, local city and state governments and any other position that the K.G.C./ O.A.K. desired control of for what ever purpose. They also wanted to control the placement of these colleges and especially to gain control of the allotted government funding for those institutions. The proof can be easily verified with very little research once you know who the Knights were.

L.C.:thumbsup:

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread