Montana Ties

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
From what I am reading......Meagher was not really liked by anyone in Montana prior to his death. Its weird, he is a pissed off Irishman who caused a lot of crap against the British and gets banished from there , comes to the United States fights in the civil war and leads an Irish Union Brigade; later gets appointed to govern Montana, then he turns into a pacifist and pisses off the vigilantes! I don't know.....he was waiting for somebody or something.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh I agree, he was waiting for something, but what/who? So many of the people that flooded the area remade themselves, I think he, Meagher, was poisoned, and it wasnt working fast enough, so he got bumped off. With as many rank and file Confederates that poured into the area, it would not surprise me one bit if one or more did not seek some personal satisfaction. But, the fact they never found a body, makes me think maybe he slipped off, crossed into Canada, but for what purpose?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
"Google" PEACE Democrats in Canada... THINK! IRISH Yank as governor, who was PROBABLY a "Copperhead" (anti-Lincoln Yank), who slipped off into Canada, waiting... "google" Making of America: THE OLD GUARD Copperhead magazine (KGC/OAK Monographs). HH! Good Luck! You guys are "making" history (or uncovering it)... HAVE FUN!

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Google" PEACE Democrats in Canada... THINK! IRISH Yank as governor, who was PROBABLY a "Copperhead" (anti-Lincoln Yank), who slipped off into Canada, waiting... "google" Making of America: THE OLD GUARD Copperhead magazine (KGC/OAK Monographs). HH! Good Luck! You guys are "making" history (or uncovering it)... HAVE FUN!

Rebel this old boy aint doing nothin but makin his wife mad most days! But I sure do wonder about some of the goings on. I am reading all I can on the subject, just as fast as I can!

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Joe: I am really digging your signature. But I dont know what the French means.???

Pinwheel

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Joe: I am really digging your signature. But I dont know what the French means.???

Pinwheel

French?! Thats Irish, Means a thousand welcomes! I am a true blue scots-irish hillbilly lol!

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
FRENCH...?!!! SHEETZ! May the Irish Banshee haunt you!

This one is my fav lol!

May the curse of Mary Malone and her nine blind illegitimate children chase you so far over the hills of Damnation that the Lord himself can't find you with a telescope

Pinwheel

Mar 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Cache Hunting
Oh! My ignorance has offended.:BangHead: A Thousand pardons. Please remove the curses.:laughing7:

Pinwheel

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh! My ignorance has offended. A Thousand pardons. Please remove the curses.

Nope, since I didnt take offense! But I thought I would share them, also found out in my reading, this guy, says Copperhead to me, but have yet to prove it!

Green Clay Smith (July 4, 1826 – June 29, 1895) was a United States soldier and politician. Elected to the Kentucky state house before the American Civil War, he was commissioned as a Union officer when he volunteered, advancing to the rank of major general before he resigned the next year to go to Congress. He was elected to the US Congress from Kentucky in 1862 representing the Unionist Party, serving until 1866.
That year, Smith was appointed as the Territorial Governor of Montana, serving from 1866 to 1869. He returned to Washington, DC, where he was ordained as a Baptist minister and became active in the temperance movement.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Nope, since I didnt take offense! But I thought I would share them, also found out in my reading, this guy, says Copperhead to me, but have yet to prove it! Green Clay Smith (July 4, 1826 – June 29, 1895) was a United States soldier and politician. Elected to the Kentucky state house before the American Civil War, he was commissioned as a Union officer when he volunteered, advancing to the rank of major general before he resigned the next year to go to Congress. He was elected to the US Congress from Kentucky in 1862 representing the Unionist Party, serving until 1866. That year, Smith was appointed as the Territorial Governor of Montana, serving from 1866 to 1869. He returned to Washington, DC, where he was ordained as a Baptist minister and became active in the temperance movement.
YEP! A BAPTIST Copperhead! The "IRISH" of Baltimore didn't like him, tho... to explain; COPPERHEADS from Baltimore, Md. SOUTH were pro-REBS/anti-Lincoln.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread