Montana Ties

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
What I can tell is that the NORTHWEST Territories were FULL of KGC "Agents", Spies (CSA) from Arizona on up to Montana & WEST. Gen. Albert Pike (CSA) was in charge of the "Indians Territories" in Arizona, and REBEL/KGC "AGENTS" operated out of Canada (Gen. Pike was "up there", too). There is a good book, NORTHWEST CONSPIRACY or something like that; It was a scheme to get "Indians" involved against the FEDS, like the ORIGINAL Sons of Liberty. MOST ppl are "clueless" about this, and it IS worthy of Research & Investigation (R & I). The "NEW" SONS of LIBERTY was MAINLY of KGC/OAK "Castles" & "Indian" Tribes of various Nations against the FEDS in the Northwest Territories; BTW, $$$$$$$$$$$$$ of dollars & other "assets" are stated to have been buried in the "wilds & mountains" of NW America & SW Canada; HH! GOOD LUCK!

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I picked up a few books today myself, I have given it all some study, and frankly, the area up here aint to different than the border wars between KS/MO. A LOT of lincoln republicans seem to have found themselves up here. Seems a lot of MO boys came up as well, during and after the war. The two books I got were
Gold Camp by Larry Barsness and Montana territory and the Civil War by Ken robinson. The robinson book seems to lean pretty heavy towards the Union, and dont seem to talk much about the local goings on. Just getting into the first one.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
COPPERHEADS are what you look for... aka PEACE DEMOCRATS (anti-Lincoln "Yanks"); FULL of CSA Spies, KGC, OAK ppl!

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Yeah, but I am not seeing copperheads so far, this is what a Yankee tax collector reported:
N.P Langford, internal revenue collector, "I was in a territory more disloyal as a whole, than Tennessee or Kentucky ever were. Four-fifths of our citizens were openly declared secessionists....Then we had Jeff Davis Gulch, and Confederate Gulch....In our local matters, we were completely under rebel rule...I had not the support of one fourth of our people, and threats of violence were the rule, not the exception."

While I havent found any pitch battles, it is a interesting study.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Their were K.G.C. involved in the makeup of Montana Territory before it became a state and maybe for a short time after that. They also had mining operations there. Some were even mined out by the third and fourth generations of their families. Not sure what they were mining but have read the genealogy of the family. The grandfather moved on to Utah and did the same thing there.
L.C.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Their were K.G.C. involved in the makeup of Montana Territory before it became a state and maybe for a short time after that. They also had mining operations there. Some were even mined out by the third and fourth generations of their families. Not sure what they were mining but have read the genealogy of the family. The grandfather moved on to Utah and did the same thing there.
L.C.
COPPER was mined in Montana-Research the Copper Kings of Montana.

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
All of the above is true, and I agree, but before Butte, Anaconda, and heavy copper interest, there was Bannack, and Virginia City While drinking :coffee2: till the wee hours reading, I found an interesting statement, that the Masonic ties trumped all, and it was those ties that kept that much expected pitched battle at bay. I already forwarded and shared a interesting statement to this fact I shared with Rebel, about two lodges, one Northern, one Southern.

One of the first big shots was Nicholas Wall. Born in Virginia, lived in St. Louis, and after being paroled by the Union, The Major built a big, and thriving business supplying miners and other stuff up in Montana.

Let us also not forget the very heavy French Canadian, Chinese, and Mexican influence to be found here as well.

I have no idea what I will find during this adventure, but I am sure I will learn something, have fun, maybe, just maybe find my own pot of gold lol!:treasurechest:

The 3-7-77 in my sig is a Montana thing I learned about when I got this far North. Many have speculated about it, but no one can prove anything one way or the other, except that it showed up written on doors and entrances in the mining camps. Many say it was the vigilantes. But to this day, it is still on the Hwy patrol arm patch. So any thoughts or ideas on that would be interesting as well!

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Oh, I know all kinds of stuff comes up, one of the big problems is being able to document actual sources, one said it was grave measurements, 3ft deep, 7ftx77inches, but again, had to pin it down, and be able to see it on paper some place in archives.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Oh, I know all kinds of stuff comes up, one of the big problems is being able to document actual sources, one said it was grave measurements, 3ft deep, 7ftx77inches, but again, had to pin it down, and be able to see it on paper some place in archives.

MO State Archives is "on-line"...

Albertaclipper

Feb 27, 2012
Central Alberta, Canada
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The first territorial governor, Sidney Edgerton, a Radical Republican whose Civil War passions were exemplified by his fevered defense of John Brown after the raid on Harpers Ferry, abandoned his post in autumn 1865 and returned to his native Ohio. In his place, the territorial secretary, Thomas Francis Meagher, became acting governor. Meagher’s path to high political office was unorthodox, to say the least. Banished from his native Ireland for agitation against the British, he escaped exile in Tasmania and fled to the United States, where he led an Irish brigade in the Union army during the Civil War and rose to the rank of general. President Andrew Johnson, at odds with his party’s Radical Republican wing, gave Meagher, a pro-Union Democrat, the job of territorial secretary in Montana.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sidney Edgerton, makes me wonder if he was "recalled", not to mention, In 1867, Meagher drowned in the swift-running Missouri River after falling accidentally from a steamboat at Fort Benton. But who is to say it was an accident, so much to read! I have no doubt that some of the later stuff in Butte can trace to KGC activities, but I really cant think they would not have been active in the early stages?

OP
OP
Hillbilly Joe

Hillbilly Joe

Feb 5, 2014
MT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Found this on him, he also studied law, ran a paper, and very well travelled

Disappearance[edit]

In the summer of 1867, Meagher traveled to Fort Benton, Montana, to receive a shipment of guns and ammunition sent by General Sherman for use by the Montana Militia.[67] On the way to Fort Benton, the Missouri River terminus for steamboat travel, Meagher fell ill and stopped for six days to recuperate. When he reached Fort Benton, he was reportedly still ill.[68] Sometime in the early evening of July 1, 1867, Meagher fell overboard from the steamboat G. A. Thompson, into the Missouri. The pilot described the waters as "...instant death – water twelve feet deep and rushing at the rate of ten miles an hour" (i.e., 3.6 m deep at a rate of 16 km/h or about 4.5 m/s).[69] His body was never recovered.[43]
Because Meagher was outspoken and controversial, some believed his death to be suspicious. Since people prefer conspiracy and his body was never recovered, many theories circulated about his death.[31] In 1913 a man claimed to have carried out the murder of Meagher for the price of $8000, but then recanted.[70][71] Some said that Meagher had been drinking, and simply fell overboard.[72] Others have suggested that he might have been murdered by Montana political enemies or perhaps by a Confederate soldier from the war,[73] and some have supposed that Native Americans were responsible.[74]
Meagher was survived by his second wife, Elizabeth Townsend (1840–1906), and his son by his first wife Katherine Bennett. His son grew up in Ireland and never knew his father

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions