Other

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS:

The example you provide doesn't fit with the book in question. But why satisfy yourself with generalizations? If the book is in error, show it.
Not sure of what "example" to which you refer, except for a generalized statement concerning newspaper articles and books validity during that time period.
You do like to make mountains out of molehills of other posters comments, Old Bookaroo, is there a reason for this constant activity?

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I value and take into consideration anyone's opinion and comments to some extent as long as they are relevant to the discussion taking place and not a distraction from the facts being evaluated and placed in order. I can take a good ribbing and even some heckling is enjoyable to break the dullness of long hours of research...not saying any names, Jeff Gordon..:laughing7:.. BUT.to argue for the sake of arguing will bring out my sharp teeth quickly and the older I get the less time I can take it before I bite. We are all running out of days gentlemen, I suggest we get focused on what we each seek to know or need, and get busy tying.

L.C.
https://youtu.be/gi0xgymj3FI

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
ECS:

Actually, there were a great many "fact checkers." Perhaps you are not familiar with Battles & Leaders.
That was the whole idea.

The example you provide doesn't fit with the book in question. But why satisfy yourself with generalizations? If the book is in error, show it.

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo, CM

Written by a third party who quotes mostly Union and some Confederate officers......dead men don't talk so it is probably at best close to 1/3 of the truth. AND 0% of anything incriminating or unbecoming.

Last edited:

Old Bookaroo

Silver Member
Dec 4, 2008
Battles & Leaders of the Civil War (Century Magazine) was written by participants. That was the whole idea.

"Battles and Leaders of the Civil War was a four volume set of books consisting of first person accounts of the various battles of the Civil War as written by prominent leaders in those actions. The books, published in 1887-1888, originally appeared as a series of essays published in Century magazine from November 1884 to November 1887."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Battles & Leaders of the Civil War (Century Magazine) was written by participants. That was the whole idea.

"Battles and Leaders of the Civil War was a four volume set of books consisting of first person accounts of the various battles of the Civil War as written by prominent leaders in those actions. The books, published in 1887-1888, originally appeared as a series of essays published in Century magazine from November 1884 to November 1887."

Good luck to all,

The Old Bookaroo

Were any of them K.G.C or O.A.K.? cause you know how those secret societies love to publish pamphlets with their ever changing agenda on them so the people can keep up on what they are doing.:laughing7:

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Conect from the beginning to the end and then you have a line of connection without doubt of authenticity. Start with this man. Richard B. Chiles...... At the start of the Civil War the Confederate 1st Missouri Cavalry Regiment was formed in Missouri from December 5–31, 1861. Many of its members had served with the Missouri State Guard. A field officer of the 1st named Richard B. Chiles resigned his commission on 15 June 1862 and his record states he transferred to Trans-Miss Dept. No further record is found. His MO archives record states he had prior service as a Capt in the MO State Guard.....if you believe that then you can stop reading this here.

You will find him on this list as he resigned his commission at the start of the Civil War and joined Quntrill. Roster of Quantrill's, Anderson's and Todd's Guerrillas who fought along the Missouri-Kansas border before and during the Civil War.

You will find that his Brother in Law was named Logan Enyart who married Richard Chiles sister Luci and lived in Daviess County, Missouri prior to the Civil War. You will find Logan Enyart as Capitain of a company in the first Missouri. Logan Enyart was a very good friend and companion and Brother of Jesse James who came to Logan's home at Nebraska City..........I will stop there for any discussion or evidence that states otherwise .
Capt Logan F. Enyart (1831 - 1912) - Find A Grave Memorial enyart.jpg

A very good account of a die hard Rebel who's father fell over dead upon receiving the news of Lee's surrender. https://books.google.com/books?id=s...RAhWg14MKHeZ3C-MQ6AEIKjAE#v=onepage&q&f=false Enyart Moon.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
A truly amazing C.S.A. Captain who upon his death made his brother Ab the richest man in the world and started litigation that would take years to finish......all to protect disclosure of the unrecorded assets of the K.G.C.......even if it meant killing a lawyer.!!!.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
View attachment 951610
Hello i am new to the site and was wondering if any of you guys could give me your two cents worth on ciphering this code? I have found a very interesting K G C site and need some help on ciphering the codes. I have some more pics i can post if you guys are willing to help me out. Thanks!

Do you have a better picture?
L.C.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Whew! I just finished ALL this thread. Wasn't sure I'd make it with all twists and turns. To answer your original question, he either had inside information or was lucky as hell.
One of the twists in this is about Capt. Logan Enyart. I found it interesting in his obit after taking "the oath" he made his way to Neb. where he turned a profit after buying wagon & oxen and freighting to Denver. A yr. later he went into partnership with two others. Then got GVT. contract to move a Fort. Soon after started farming, raising stock and banking, having ranches in several states. I'm not saying a hard working man can't make good, but this guy beat the average.
One thing to remember is at the time of JJ running around, is how Tribal people were, much more than today. Clannish might be a better word. Your "Kin" looked out for you, gave you support and your cousins wife's family could be counted on for help in most cases. This allowed them to move freely through most of Western MO..

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, Albert Pike, CSA made an Indian Chief a 32nd Degree Scottish Rite Mason, & "THE CHIEF" was also KGC; MAYBE JJ & "The Chief' gave each other "Signs of Recognition"; NO need to speak, with PASS-WORDS utilized somehow... dunno.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Whew! I just finished ALL this thread. Wasn't sure I'd make it with all twists and turns. To answer your original question, he either had inside information or was lucky as hell.
One of the twists in this is about Capt. Logan Enyart. I found it interesting in his obit after taking "the oath" he made his way to Neb. where he turned a profit after buying wagon & oxen and freighting to Denver. A yr. later he went into partnership with two others. Then got GVT. contract to move a Fort. Soon after started farming, raising stock and banking, having ranches in several states. I'm not saying a hard working man can't make good, but this guy beat the average.
One thing to remember is at the time of JJ running around, is how Tribal people were, much more than today. Clannish might be a better word. Your "Kin" looked out for you, gave you support and your cousins wife's family could be counted on for help in most cases. This allowed them to move freely through most of Western MO..

Might I suggest a good book on the subject?
https://www.amazon.com/The-Ones-That-Got-Away/dp/1499593694

:icon_thumright: L.C.

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Yea L.C., what did go wrong at Northfield? I know the gang (at least the Youngers. Cole never did say who the 2 that got away were) went there because the head of the bank was the carpetbagger in charge of Reconstruction in Louisiana. Louis Lamore would have said because of all the Civil War Vets. that went around armed, had heard gunfire before and not afraid to shoot that were there that day. Same in Coffeeville,KS. w/ the Dalton gang. Maybe a Neb. connection?

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, I thought the DALTON GANG did Northfield... TWO Dalton Boys were killed, Emmett Dalton survived & was sent to prison, serving @ 18 years for "murder" (NOT! Just robbed the bank). After release, Emmett returned to Western NC, became a movie producer (he was just a kid); family legend, as he was my wife's GG Grandpa or something like that...

Last edited:

uglymailman

Bronze Member
Feb 3, 2010
Reb- the Dalton Gang got shot up at Coffeeville,Kansas where they tried to rob two banks at the same time. I think Cole Younger never said who the two that got away were. Frank James and Cole Younger were part of a "wild west show" after Cole got out. I've read local newspaper accounts from that time. They parted ways over the way the promoter was "taking" the local patrons of their shows by pickpockets and con men. There might have been a lack of payment also. Some accounts called it by the "James -Younger W.W.Show" and others by the name of the promoter with or featuring James-Younger. They may have started their own show after leaving.
I'm not saying Frank and Jesse weren't at Northfield,MN.. I'm not sure the James-Youngers ever admitted to it. I think I'd rather have the money stolen in their name than what they layed their hands on. A lot of unsolved cases of theft were blamed on the Younger-James gang. Who want's to be robbed by Joe Blow when they were sure it must be the James-Youngers?

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions