JESSE JAMES AND THE KNIGHTS OF THE GOLDEN CIRCLE A JOINT VENTURE

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
So, L.C. , Rebel-KGC and other researchers, has either of you ever looked into the James boy's family where-abouts when the family ran the Black Horse Tavern in Lexington? Their mother Zerelda Cole James worked there when she was a young girl, is that when she met Robert sallee? And was Roberts family connected to any of the suspected or known KGC?
The ONLY Black Horse Tavern that I am aware of was on TODAY'S Blue Ridge Parkway in Bedford County, Va. It was mentioned in the OLD history of Bedford County, going down to Buford's Inn (Beale Papers Pamphlet), owned/run by Paschal Buford. NOTHING on the James family "connection"... what cha got...? INTERESTING! USFS has a marker indicating such; if I can find a "site" on it... will share.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
So, L.C. , Rebel-KGC and other researchers, has either of you ever looked into the James boy's family where-abouts when the family ran the Black Horse Tavern in Lexington? Their mother Zerelda Cole James worked there when she was a young girl, is that when she met Robert sallee? And was Roberts family connected to any of the suspected or known KGC?

Do you know who owned the establishment? I have not read anything about it at this time.

L.C.

Rebelsmom

Jan 17, 2017
Arkansas
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
The Black Horse Tavern was referenced in a book by Ron Pastore and John O'Melveny Woods "Jesse James secret" page 37. Zereldas, family, the Coles owned it. Lots of Elites frequented it. Supposed to have been in Lexington Kentucky

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Do you know who owned the establishment? I have not read anything about it at this time.

L.C.
NOPE; looking into it, now; meanwhile, "google" Black Horse Loop - Montvale as it has "pics"... AND! Horsing Around on The Blue Ridge Parkway. It is now a Fire Road, for the USFS (BRP MP 97.7). Wife & I have hiked that road a bit... saw the BHT Wayside; over-grown & has a Marker... ANYWAY, NOT connected to Lexington, KY. SORRY!

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
Whites DFX, Whites Bullseye 2 Pointer, Audio 200 D Headphones,
Garrett AT MAX, Garrett Pro-Pointer AT, MS-3 Headphones,
Lesche Digger, Lesche Shovel, 4' T Handle Probe.
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
NOPE; looking into it, now; meanwhile, "google" Black Horse Loop - Montvale as it has "pics"... AND! Horsing Around on The Blue Ridge Parkway. It is now a Fire Road, for the USFS (BRP MP 97.7). Wife & I have hiked that road a bit... saw the BHT Wayside; over-grown & has a Marker... ANYWAY, NOT connected to Lexington, KY. SORRY!

Midway...where Black Horse Tavern was is Midway between Frankfurt and Lexington Kentucky....It was also called 'Little Sodom'...In the Biblical Sense.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Heck Yeah...The Southern and Free Will Baptists Still Have Traveling Ministers going to small communities once or twice a month. Everything revolved around that denomination and the weeklong Revivals!

I'll see if I can find some old writings about the revivals that came to town...Amazing.

I did read that RS James was going to become a Methodist minister when he got back to Clay County. Evidently one of his brothers was a Methodist minister.

Kace

This is all I know, Robert Sallee James was the father of the famous outlaw Jesse James. He was a hemp farmer, slave owner, and Baptist minister from Kentucky who helped found William Jewell College in Liberty, Missouri. Robert James was orphaned at age nine and went to live with his married sister Mary Mimms. In 1838

Is that complete? https://shsmo.org/historicmissourians/name/j/jamesr/

L.C.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I Love Your Story! Thanks for sharing that LC and I Sincerely Hope You Can Complete This Quest With Your Dad!! It looks like you've put a lot together over the years.

I promised my Grandmother I'd find the truth for her on a fringe player of these topics and I couldn't do it before she passed...It's always bothered me. She was determined we go down home one day... we went to a lot of the places we always did at the farm... She repeated many things like they always did with me...Our last stop was at my Grandfathers grave...Within a week she was laying next to him. It crushed me.

Your story is similar to mine except mine is multi generational...and because of that I did have the old knowledge shared...I didn't have to start at ground zero so to speak. I still have to research and get my boots dirty, but I did get some invaluable tips on that too.

I like to learn from the people who really take the time to research, go to the archives and historical societies, get out in the field or cemetery and not just believe everything online or in books that have been copied from the ones written before as fact. I've met some really good researchers on here that ask great questions and give great answers.

I can tell you and your father have researched many avenues...I know from experience you can hit dead ends that way, but usually there is some truth to everything. Even if it's hidden in garbage and lies. You get information to lead another way.

Have you and your father been to Lake City in your travels?

I know you don't know me but I would never intrude on others hunts...Your story about you and your father just struck a chord with me. I don't want you to share too much... generalizations are fine if you are comfortable with that. Since some of the areas and people overlap...I might be able to give you ideas and locations that aren't readily available to access if you aren't known. What you guys are doing has nothing at all to do with me.

Kace

I have no idea where the lines will end, or be redirected before we are through. I do know if you stretch them out they get close to some very interesting places in this country. There is one that comes within 14 miles of Wapanucka Oklahoma that is pretty interesting to say the least. One can only speculate where and how far the lines project until you have followed them where they tell you to go. To many lines, not enough time to spend it guessing if you want to find the path you are on. :thumbsup:

L.C.

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
This is all I know, Robert Sallee James was the father of the famous outlaw Jesse James. He was a hemp farmer, slave owner, and Baptist minister from Kentucky who helped found William Jewell College in Liberty, Missouri. Robert James was orphaned at age nine and went to live with his married sister Mary Mimms. In 1838

Is that complete? https://shsmo.org/historicmissourians/name/j/jamesr/

L.C.

You are right on the money...Really, with RS James what I think is notable was how much formal education he had, especially for the times.

From what I heard discussed in Higginsville, MO at the Confederate Cemetery was he was supposedly a quiet, passive type of person and he felt more inclined to the Methodist type of ministering than the more fire and brimstone Baptist preaching that he had his formal training in. Also, he didn't get paid any money at the Baptist Churches which caused problems with Zerelda.

There has been strong speculation that J. Frank Dalton's mother was a Mimms...

Which would explain his fascination with the James', Younger's and the Outlaw Dalton's and Quantrill. Being Jesse, Frank and Susan's James cousin or cousin in law.

I'll look again and see if there is any more updated info on that.

Kace

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
I have no idea where the lines will end, or be redirected before we are through. I do know if you stretch them out they get close to some very interesting places in this country. There is one that comes within 14 miles of Wapanucka Oklahoma that is pretty interesting to say the least. One can only speculate where and how far the lines project until you have followed them where they tell you to go. To many lines, not enough time to spend it guessing if you want to find the path you are on. :thumbsup:

L.C.

You're right, if you look hard enough and follow those lines, this country has some very rewarding things to be found.

I'm familiar with the area of Wapanucka you are talking about...I think you'll find it better at LCMO..you've got a lot of the later information already. Most don't have what you do. It's closer to you as well fellow taphophile.

JMO,
Kace

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
You're right, if you look hard enough and follow those lines, this country has some very rewarding things to be found.

I'm familiar with the area of Wapanucka you are talking about...I think you'll find it better at LCMO..you've got a lot of the later information already. Most don't have what you do. It's closer to you as well fellow taphophile.

JMO,
Kace

Perhaps I will stop by there in my travels this Spring. I intend to visit several locations in Missouri next Spring and Summer if I live through Winter!. Not that I am complaining, it has been very mild this year and the ground is not frozen solid as usual. Still it is hard to have fun detecting in the cold so we go to the archives and crawl in the den with laptops. I am retired now and I have plenty of time to search and do research but my helpers have real lives in the rat race that keep them available to me most week-ends during the warm months with a few days notice.

I have been working on finding and researching motives at this point in my JJ investigation. The investigation has led me to Daviess County Missouri, in the beginning of the (reported) robberies of Jesse James. There were incidents reported before that date, but they were unconfirmed accounts. Although there are many motives that have been associated with the ($5)robbery and murder over time, have you any thoughts on what Jesse's main motive (s) was that motivated Jesse and Frank to Gallatin on Dec. 7th, 1869?

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe I have found a motive that concerned a very good friend and Brother of Jesse's named Logan Enyart. If you read the reports and how the "Revenge for Bloody Bill Anderson" quote came about, it sounds pretty flimsy. I believe I have solid evidence that it was for revenge of another nature concerning Logan Enyart and his money and assets in Davies County prior to the war of aggression in 1861. John C. Fremont jumped the gun in Missouri and caused a lot of killing and stealing to be done, even President Lincoln had doubts about the actions. It was a Civil War to the North, but a war of aggression to the South and people were dying right and left on the boarders of Missouri. When this act came along https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confiscation_Act_of_1861 C.S.A. soldiers and sympathizers lost everything they had. Families including the elderly along with the women and children were jailed or thrown out of their own homes and off of their own land to fend for themselves. Their land, money, and possessions were confiscated by the Federal Government through the use of the banking systems that were already in place. When martial law took over the records of events tended to be somewhat censored. Abe also knew that Fremont was control freak who had his sites set on being in the big chair.

fremont.jpg

On This Day:* July 2, 1864

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Logan Enyart owned 1,000 acres of good land with buildings, livestock, and all of the other valuable appurtenances of a well developed country estate. His stock was driven off and confiscated, the buildings burned and the land laid to waste and confiscated as well. His wife, was the sister of Richard Chiles of the Chiles boys in Quantrill's Raiders. She had to stay with neighbors and friends of the family that were left after the raid on Logan's property until the war was over and Logan was released from a Union prison. As a side note...Logan Enyart's father Hezekiah Wright Enyart fell over dead after hearing of Lee's surrender on April 9th,1865. DEATH 9 Apr 1865 Pattonsburg, Daviess County, Missouri, USA https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/33426641/hezekiah-wright-enyart

Chiles, Chris L. "Kit" Killed in action on August 11, 1862 at Battle of Independence, MO.

Chiles, J. " Jim Crow" Uncle of President Harry Truman and a wagon master on the Santa Fe trail prior to the war. Survived War only to be gunned down Septmeber 21, 1873. His murderer's son then murdered Jim's son Elijah, the same day.

Chiles, Joel Killed January 10, 1864.

Chiles, Richard Killed in action at Big Hill, above Sibley, MO

L.C.

Last edited:

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Perhaps I will stop by there in my travels this Spring. I intend to visit several locations in Missouri next Spring and Summer if I live through Winter!. Not that I am complaining, it has been very mild this year and the ground is not frozen solid as usual. Still it is hard to have fun detecting in the cold so we go to the archives and crawl in the den with laptops. I am retired now and I have plenty of time to search and do research but my helpers have real lives in the rat race that keep them available to me most week-ends during the warm months with a few days notice.

I have been working on finding and researching motives at this point in my JJ investigation. The investigation has led me to Daviess County Missouri, in the beginning of the (reported) robberies of Jesse James. There were incidents reported before that date, but they were unconfirmed accounts. Although there are many motives that have been associated with the ($5)robbery and murder over time, have you any thoughts on what Jesse's main motive (s) was that motivated Jesse and Frank to Gallatin on Dec. 7th, 1869?

L.C.

First...MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! I couldn't get my answer out fast enough! lol!

LC...To state the obvious if someone wasn't looking deeper...Jesse and Frank James along with Jim Anderson...{William T. 'Bloody Bill' Anderson's Brother} went to Gallatin, MO...The County Seat of Daviees County to rob the bank.

I believe the trip to Gallatin was partially to avenge the death of Bloody Bill, Jim Anderson's Brother by killing Samuel Cox who most believe killed BBA...I believe Cox was covering for the bugler, as he should of done as OIC. Due to a case of mistaken identity John W. Sheets was killed instead of Cox that day.

Personally, I think it was a ruse and if you look at the Enyart and Chiles connection to Daviees County...Gallatin, the county seat was the other part of the plan. I could say with 90% certainty they stopped at the farm for horses before going to Gallatin. One of the horses was identified.

There is also the Enyart connection ...Cox crossed paths at some point I think with Enyart in Nebraska City...Lots of Enyarts there in Daviees County.

Cox was a partner in a store called Ballinger, Cox, ...Kemper...Future UMB, Kemper Arena etc in Kansas City, MO. Big $$ Cox was county recorder...which makes me wonder about Enyarts and Chiles. Cox didn't seem to hide even though JWJ made no bones about killing him on sight.

Now I'll read what you said and see if I'm close!

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
The Chiles Family and Francis/Frank Cowherd were very close....Quantrill guys as you've mentioned with Chiles. If you have a minute, check out Francis Cowherd.

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
Sounds like things are adding up in a new direction to me. :occasion14:

Great stuff! L.C.

If you research the Hudspeths and Henry W. Younger (father of Cole and Brothers)...You will see the connection between them Chiles, Cowherd...JJ, FJ, Quantrill, Enyart

Younger had a livery, lots of land in Jackson and Cass County too Plus the Mail Contract.

UGMM is well versed in the Younger family.

Chiles, Hudspeth and Cowherd land all were safe areas for the James and Youngers. That's also where they got their horses.

You can take that to UMB! :occasion14:

Kace

Kace

Bronze Member
Aug 15, 2017
Detector(s) used
GoPro, RC Truck, Drone.
Primary Interest:
Other
First...MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL! I couldn't get my answer out fast enough! lol!

LC...To state the obvious if someone wasn't looking deeper...Jesse and Frank James along with Jim Anderson...{William T. 'Bloody Bill' Anderson's Brother} went to Gallatin, MO...The County Seat of Daviees County to rob the bank.

I believe the trip to Gallatin was partially to avenge the death of Bloody Bill, Jim Anderson's Brother by killing Samuel Cox who most believe killed BBA...I believe Cox was covering for the bugler, as he should of done as OIC. Due to a case of mistaken identity John W. Sheets was killed instead of Cox that day.

Personally, I think it was a ruse and if you look at the Enyart and Chiles connection to Daviees County...Gallatin, the county seat was the other part of the plan. I could say with 90% certainty they stopped at the farm for horses before going to Gallatin. One of the horses was identified.

There is also the Enyart connection ...Cox crossed paths at some point I think with Enyart in Nebraska City...Lots of Enyarts there in Daviees County.

Cox was a partner in a store called Ballinger, Cox, ...Kemper...Future UMB, Kemper Arena etc in Kansas City, MO. Big $$ Cox was county recorder...which makes me wonder about Enyarts and Chiles. Cox didn't seem to hide even though JWJ made no bones about killing him on sight.

Now I'll read what you said and see if I'm close!

Kace

I'd like to RETRACT my statement that John W. Sheets was killed due to mistaken identity.

I checked and Samuel Cox was John Sheets commanding officer.

Apparently Sheets acting on orders from Cox ordered William T. 'BloodyBill' Anderson's body to be dragged through town And they Both ordered BBA to be decapitated and do all the rest that they did to his body and grave.

Both Cox and Sheets were County Land Recorders.. I still stand by what I said regarding the land and property issues that went on in Daviees County regarding Enyart and Chiles.

So, I'd like to say that I think the Only Mistake they made on their mission on 12-7-1869 was that Cox had stepped out of the bank for a few and wasn't there when James and J. Anderson went in.

I believe Cox and Sheets were both going to be killed in retaliation for what happened after the death of WT 'Bloody Bill' Anderson and the land and property issues along with the treatment of women,children and elderly men. The Union treated the innocent and helpless up North the same as they did down South.

Kace

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions