One tough thing to swallow about the KGC ...

Nappy701

Dec 7, 2012
🥇 Banner finds
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It's Minnesota not MI. I guess this is when the company originated.

Gillett, Harrison, machinist, born in Cooperstown, N. Y., in 1824; settled in Lake City, Minn., in 1856, where he established a machine shop and a foundry.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
That is very interesting Nappy701, and i do see what your talking about. I also see what your talking about with the cave carvings. Iam sure that cabinet is very very valuable to the right person,thats a great treasure. thanks for showing and telling your info. The only help i can offer is if you go to treasure legends, then K.G.C,look for some of L.C. Bakers threads, and post some of your photos and info. there, Those guys study that stuff,and iam sure they would also love to see and hear about the cabinet .i know iam interested in it. Does the house have a fireplace? stairway? door headers? really any wood work in the house probably has clues. Then the outside too,from fences,to garden areas,benches, is one of the old out house still there? Dig the old privy up,i bet you'll at least find some nice bottles. Iam sure that house is full of hidden clues. Those K.G.C guys could help you alot i bet. great stuff,thanks for posting it,and keep it coming. any photos of the house?

yeah....what he said. :thumbsup: L.C.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

No, it does not. It only means that somebody stamped it with a Fed-Mogul stamp. If you put a fresh coat of paint on your 60 year old house in 1998, and the color you used did not exist before 1998, does that mean your house could be no older than 1998? Of course not.

I was looking at things other than the stamp, though. There is a lot of info that would need to be considered before I would come to a decision on this one. It all could be nothing, or ...
A good strawman argument- so someone stamped Federal-Mogul sometime after 1924 on an old cabinet?
The "other things" are natural woodgrain that has been bookmatched that has created illusionary patterns in the cabinet face, open to interpretation by the viewer.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
It's Minnesota not MI. I guess this is when the company originated.

Gillett, Harrison, machinist, born in Cooperstown, N. Y., in 1824; settled in Lake City, Minn., in 1856, where he established a machine shop and a foundry.
The point being -after several merges of various companies, Federal-Mogul came into being in 1924, not in 1856 or 1868, it does not matter when the companies that merged began.
Question: Is that F-M stamp under the lacquer finish?

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other

Now, would a piece of wood that had such a stamp most likely be from that time period? Of course. That would be most likely. It would not be a definitive dating method, though...

You are most likely right, if you are seeing a fed-mog stamp...

I don't think you have anything, Nappy..., but like I said in my first post and ECS, probably just cool lookin' wood grains and stains...
Bookmatched woodgrains are not a KGC or any other treasure map.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread