Jason W. James - The Other JJ or JWJ of the KGC

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
"Memorable events in the life of Captain Jason W. James" Jason W. James was a Confederate officer, a Knight of the Golden Circle, a Texas Ranger, and a rancher. My late KGC treasure hunting and research partner Colin Eby and I found very strong evidence that Captain Jason W. James played a role in constructing KGC treasure depositories in central Texas and probably in other areas as well. We discovered a large, scarred-over heart on a very old oak tree with his name carved inside of it like this: *** Jason James T *** Jason James was a Texas Ranger until he was gravely injured in a gunfight with a thief on the Pecan Bayou near Brownwood, Texas. He retired after recovering and moved to South Texas where he started a ranch and then to Roswell, New Mexico where my great uncle and great aunt Storm and Letha Longley Anderson moved to about the same time. Storm Anderson was the son of William C. "Bloody Bill" and Missouria Anderson. I believe that both Jason James and Storm Anderson moved to Roswell on KGC business. You can read one of his two books online by going to this link and using the arrows on top of the page to turn pages. He was a Knight of the White Camellia and the KKK. Memorable events in the life of Captain Jason W. ... . - Full View | HathiTrust Digital Library | HathiTrust Digital Library ~Texas Jay Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

Attachments

• JasonW.James1.jpg
    JasonW.James1.jpg
    32.2 KB · Views: 300
OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Garrett AT Pro, Garrett Scorpion Gold Stinger, Garrett Ace 350, Garrett Ace 250, vintage D-Tex SK 70, Tesoro Mojave, Dowsing Rods
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
His lapel pin is "interesting"... Shriner...?

Rebel, Jason W. James was a "high-ranking Mason" according to this brief biography.

"Captain James was a brave soldier, a high ranking Mason and a friend to all in need of assistance. His death occurred at his ranch near [Uvalde?], Texas on September 13, 1933. He lies beside his wife and near his friends and comrades of the Civil War, Captain Joseph and Judge Frank Lea, who are buried at South Park Cemetery near Roswell..."

[Captain Jason W. James]

~Texas Jay

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I wonder about the main man we have identified, and his hidden masonic degree. I can find no description of his funeral, or who was pallbearers or even present. This man kept a diary and guest book at his house that were both a record of anyone that visited him at his home or that he went to see. Practically everything he ever took place in had an attendance record, except for his K.G.C.,O.A.K., association with Jesse James, Freemason responsibilities, and his funeral. We wonder if it was because of a last rights ceremony that may have been held privately, and the possible connection of all of those who may have been in one place at one time, for one event. He was a very well known man to say the least.

L.C.

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I see that your J.W.J. was also a Southwestern cattleman, do you know of any brands he may have been associated with? Also, maybe the ranch or it's location in south Texas?

Thanks, L.C. Baker

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
We have several ties to Texas...VERY strong ties to particular individuals in that state. There is also the ties between that man and John Wilkes Booth, and another tie between Booth and one of the identified Knights involved with this treasure trail. I like Texas very much!!!

L.C.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Texas was a HOT-BED of KGC activities, with MANY Castles of Knights; MOSTLY of the 1st Degree, the IRON HAND; workers, drones of the KGC HIVES, Military/ARMY. Bet JWJ was of the 2nd Degree (KGC), TRUE FAITH... Texas state HQ, with leaders doing "fund-raising" & FINANCE stuff. "High-ranking" Mason, could be 33rd Degree of Scottish Rite/SJ; MAYBE knew Bro. Gen. Albert Pike, CSA.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Further R & I indicate that JWJ was 1st cousin to Frank & Jesse James; was of Q's Guerillas; JWJ was a TEXAS RANGER after the CONFEDERATE WAR. He PROBABLY looked "the other way" when Jesse (& Frank) misbehaved. MORE R & I to do...

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Take all you know That happened in Texas and put it in one sack and close it. I have a whole new sack half full that has yet to be seen by the public. Texas was not just a hot bed of retiring Knights. It was part of it before during and after the Civil War, and way beyond.

L.C.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I see that your J.W.J. was also a Southwestern cattleman, do you know of any brands he may have been associated with? Also, maybe the ranch or it's location in south Texas?

Thanks, L.C. Baker

L.C., it's been awhile since I read his book but some of that information may be in it at the link I provided. I believe his ranch was somewhere near Uvalde in South Texas.
~Texas Jay

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Further R & I indicate that JWJ was 1st cousin to Frank & Jesse James; was of Q's Guerillas; JWJ was a TEXAS RANGER after the CONFEDERATE WAR. He PROBABLY looked "the other way" when Jesse (& Frank) misbehaved. MORE R & I to do...

Rebel & L.C., here's the nearly blank listing for Jason James at South Park Cemetery near Roswell. Brown County historian and author Tevis Clyde Smith, Jr. is the one who claimed that Jason was a first cousin to Jesse and Frank James. We've researched it extensively at our Yahoo group: http://groups.yahoo.com/group/bloodybillandersonmystery but can't find any solid evidence to verify the claim. We're still looking but it's interesting to note that Jason's father went to California in search of gold in 1852 which is the same time period where the fathers of Jesse and Frank and of "Bloody Bill" Anderson went there.

Jason W James (1843 - 1933) - Find A Grave Memorial&

~Texas Jay

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C., it's been awhile since I read his book but some of that information may be in it at the link I provided. I believe his ranch was somewhere near Uvalde in South Texas.
~Texas Jay

Although we have yet to search in Texas, we really like the Edwards Plateau area for multiple reasons. It would be worth locating the ranch if you can. I would highly suspect the use of the many caves in that area. Would be a good hunt that is for sure!

L.C.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
I'll have to leave the Edwards Plateau hunting to someone else. I've got my hands full with the 3 very likely spots here in central Texas that my late best friend and I were working on before he came down with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and passed away in 2011.
~Texas Jay

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I'll have to leave the Edwards Plateau hunting to someone else. I've got my hands full with the 3 very likely spots here in central Texas that my late best friend and I were working on before he came down with ALS (Lou Gehrig's Disease) and passed away in 2011.
~Texas Jay
Sorry for your loss Jay, we have lost two of four and My Dad and I are all that is left. I know what you mean about having your hands full where you are already looking. I have a list of places I want to go but I find it hard to believe I will ever have the time to go check them out myself.

L.C.

OP
OP
Texas Jay

Texas Jay

Bronze Member
Feb 11, 2006
Brownwood, Texas
Detector(s) used
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Sorry for your loss Jay, we have lost two of four and My Dad and I are all that is left. I know what you mean about having your hands full where you are already looking. I have a list of places I want to go but I find it hard to believe I will ever have the time to go check them out myself.

L.C.

Thank you, L.C. and I'm sorry for your losses too. My friend Colin Eby was with me in the KGC research and field work all along, ever since we first learned about the Knights in 2006. He was irreplaceable so I have stayed away from the field work until early this year and I am currently working on another site that is not one of our original sites. Before he got sick, Colin and I estimated that we had a good ten years of work to do on those three sites alone. Now, even if by some miracle, I'm able to find another hunting partner in this area that I can trust completely and even has half the drive, curiosity, and motivation that Colin had, it would probably take 15 or 20 years to do the same amount of work because of all the knowledge a new partner would have to gain in the process. I hope you and your father have great success in your projects.
~Texas Jay
Home - Knights of the Golden Circle

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread