The Raleigh Convention of 1860 of the K.G.C.

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
This is the transcript of the Raleigh convention of 1860 of the K.G.C. It is a very long read and informative. Found it while doing research on another related subject. Enjoy and remember this is just 11 months almost to the day from the opening shots in the war of northern aggression. The Knights of the Golden Circle: The Convention of K.G.C. Raleigh, N C, May 7--11th, 1860

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"The K. G. C., in co-operation with the best and only reliable people in Mexico, have undertaken to infuse such an American element in the country as will lead to the establishment of a permanent and just government--if the threatening aspect of politics in our country and the disorganized condition of Mexico do not lead to the conclusion that the powers of the North and the South need ballancing, and that Mexico is the weight to be thrown in the scales, then we are laboring under a wild and foolish delusion."

This is almost word for word except it was talking about 1864. What it doesn't say, is that Gwin had been working on that deal since 1860. By account he was in Mexico as early as 1853 and possibly earlier. Great stuff S.D., I had read through it before but this didn't leap out at me the first time. Thanks for posting the link, I have several questions to discuss on the meeting and it's affects.

"In 1864 W.M. Gwin attempted to interest Napoleon III in a project to settle American slave-owners in Sonora, Mexico. Despite a positive response from Napoleon III, the idea was rejected by his protégé, Maximilian I, who feared that Gwin and his southerners would take Sonora for themselves."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_M._Gwin

L.C.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
It is my opinion that Gwin was a bit to slick for Napoleon III. If he had been working towards those ends that early even I would be leary of him. I had read that before so not surprised. Believe the K.G.C. wanted the Caribbean and northern central America for the south. If they had they would have all sugar, salt, coffee, and cotton production. Not only that but most of the whiskey, rum, and tobacco production. Those things the north would have desperately needed and wanted. Both England and France would have backed them and we would have had two nations. The south would have claimed at least part of the west and mining of gold, silver, and copper. When oil and gas was widely needed not only for engines but for heating the north might have called it quits. The wonderment of it all!!!! The possibilities are endless. We will never know for sure or will we.

S.D.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I think the mans actions speak for them self, especially when you consider the trade with China that was made possible with the Japan deal that was made possible by Joseph Heco....who was groomed by the K.G.C. for that very purpose. Cotton was King, but Opium was an Empire!

L.C.

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. How do you think the rebel Afghanis are financing the wars against both Russia in the 1980's and the U.S. war today. A bunch of cave dwellers defeating two super powers can do that without having some money. You are spot on.

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
It is my opinion that Gwin was a bit to slick for Napoleon III. If he had been working towards those ends that early even I would be leary of him. I had read that before so not surprised. Believe the K.G.C. wanted the Caribbean and northern central America for the south. If they had they would have all sugar, salt, coffee, and cotton production. Not only that but most of the whiskey, rum, and tobacco production. Those things the north would have desperately needed and wanted. Both England and France would have backed them and we would have had two nations. The south would have claimed at least part of the west and mining of gold, silver, and copper. When oil and gas was widely needed not only for engines but for heating the north might have called it quits. The wonderment of it all!!!! The possibilities are endless. We will never know for sure or will we.

S.D.

Well, I read somewhere that KGC TEXAS had a Standing Army of FIRST DEGREE Knights (Military Degree in 22 CASTLES) ready to invade Mexico in 1859...

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Believe you are right. There were a SNAFU of some sort and very few showed up for the invasion even fewer supplies were on hand and it was called off. Before it could be reorganized the war started and all bets were off.

S.D.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
If you study the La Abra Silver Mining Co. you will see that the K.G.C. was mining gold in Sonora and other places in the 1850's. La abra was actually mined out and abandoned by them until they launched the fraudulent claim with forged documents against Mexico in 1865 via S.F. Nuckolls and the Brothers of Lasting Faith who were in New York City at that time.

L.C.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
UP IN SMOKE

The Convention of K.G.C. Raleigh, N C, May 7--11th, 1860

MAY 12th, 1860 Nebraska City was burned. Thirty-eight buildings were destroyed, some containing several offices. All the buildings on both sides of Main Street for a block and a half were destroyed as well as those north and south along Sixth Street. These included two general merchandise stores, two drugstores, the bank, three banking and exchange offices, one large hotel, the post office, the U.S. Land Office, all Otoe County offices, a large hall used as a courtroom and for public meetings, a stove and tinware store, eight attorneys' offices, one dentist's office and dwelling, two warehouses, one butcher shop, three saloons, one tenpin alley, one blacksmith's shop, one wagonmaker's shop, one livery stable, one barber shop, two boot and shoe shops, one bakery, one carpenter's shop, and a number of other buildings. Some suspected that the blaze was started by an arsonist, but it was later discovered that a container of smoldering sawdust in Coleman's butcher shop had been the source. However, during my R&I I found an interview with the butcher shop owner and he said he never even had a fire that day in his shop!
Not all was lost for the BLf about sixty-two thousand dollars of insurance money was collected to begin rebuilding the town.

Virtually all evidence of the K.G.C./O.A.K including the news press archives and even it's subscription list was set on fire. The Masonic lodge, the I.O.O.F. and the bank were all in S.F. Nuckolls building on the south side of main street........a BRICK building!!!!

Nebraska City Fire, 1860

L.C.:thumbsup:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"Citizens worked to remove all important papers and records and as much furniture as possible from structures in the fire's path." :laughing7::laughing7::laughing7::laughing7:

This part (written by J.S. Morton in the Nebraska Historical Society book) cracks me up the most! They might have saved the furniture, but they started that fire with important records and papers if you ask me!

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. It would be nice to know where Nuckolls was on that day. Nebraska City, Raleigh, N.C., ? Next question is what incriminating documents needed to be destroyed? Why burn the town to destroy them. I have read this story before and have to say that something isn't right.

City of Dallas burned about the same time. There were several other cities that burned that same year. The explanation was that a new type of matches would self ignite. Wonder if they were only sold or should I say delivered to those places where some things just needed to disappear. These fires only took place in Kansas, Missouri, and Texas now I am thinking Nebraska City. These matches were only sold in drug stores and general merchandise stores. Will find and post more on this later. This I remember reading in a early history of Dallas. Think the first reports are right ARSON.

S.D.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
"what incriminating documents needed to be destroyed? Why burn the town to destroy them. I have read this story before and have to say that something isn't right."

To understand this you have to have a good understanding of what all the K.G.C. had accomplished and tried desperately to accomplish in Nebraska Territory from 1853 until that fire on May 12th 1860 in Nebraska City. I will start with the press as that is what the K.G.C. did when they started a take over. If you read page 152 in my book you will see just a small sample of what the Nebraska City News Press was churning out with the honorable J.S. Morton owning/editing it. Just imagine what the WHOLE news paper looked like.:icon_thumleft:...issue after issue after issue, year after year from 1854 on. They controlled the press to control the people and sway them to the K.G.C.'s kind of thinking, "or else". (SEE OR ELSE HERE) In Early Nebraska Days - Nebraska
There was only 62,000 reported insurance money paid out. A dollar in 1860 would have the buying power of $28.90 in 2014, that would be $1,791,800 of buying power in 1860, just a few months before the war started by the time they recieved it.. If you think about a town that was built by the K.G.C. for the K.G.C. and most of the businesses and buildings that were destroyed were all purchased under different names and paid for by Nuckolls and associates (K.G.C.) who built the city for them, then they basically cashed in their chips and at the same time erased every record and document that could prove what they had accomplished...or implicate them in treason after May 12th 1861. These copperheads remained in office during and after the war, they had to keep there nose clean and not leave any loose ends. The K.G.C. never met like that after the convention at Raleigh. They were instructed to elect their own leaders and castles for there states and cities. (Probably spreading learned information on how to establish what they had already accomplished in Nebraska City and elsewhere.) Think about this, if I own a building and I insure it for structure and contents and three other entities do the same for their business located inside of my building.....and we are all K.G.C. Knights that were funded by the organization and placed by them to operate the said business for a sum of $ monthly,,,,,,Who really collected that insurance money?

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Next question is how were they paid? In what bank did they put those funds? Now who OWNED that bank again? Cause and effect, chain of events, all this Chaos makes perfect sense. They never did give up their old ways even after the war. Look who was on the board of directors of the bank.

Remember a wink is as good as a nod to a race horse. Some times you have to read between the lines to find the truth. Especially in these cases.

S.D.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Next question is how were they paid? In what bank did they put those funds? Now who OWNED that bank again? Cause and effect, chain of events, all this Chaos makes perfect sense. They never did give up their old ways even after the war. Look who was on the board of directors of the bank.

Remember a wink is as good as a nod to a race horse. Some times you have to read between the lines to find the truth. Especially in these cases.

S.D.

It was the only bank to survive the panic of 1857. The Platte Valley Bank. S. F. Nuckolls, was the president and he had some partners...8-)B and LF:tongue3:

As far as the pay out goes it could have been in gold and silver or a draw from another bank (s). That was about it for large amounts of curency at that time I think.

L.C.

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. that is what I was talking about. Guess with all the rain my humor has fallen flater than a pancake. Raining as I type. Maybe the better question would be how much did the BLF skim off the top? More later.

S.D.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C. that is what I was talking about. Guess with all the rain my humor has fallen flater than a pancake. Raining as I type. Maybe the better question would be how much did the BLF skim off the top? More later.

S.D.

I was giggling when I typed that S.D., your humor is just fine! :laughing7:
The skimming was later on I believe they owned these ventures from the top to the bottom.
(banking, freighting) The skim came later on from the railroads, telegraph, insurance, trusts in etc. in the form of cash kick backs. Let's not forget that another fellow Brother opened a bank, and his name was Logan Enyart. Jesse W. James came to him when he would visit Nebraska City (to make a deposit?)

Paul Morton was confirmed as secretary of the Navy on December 7, 1904.:icon_scratch:

1905 when the Interstate Commerce Commission asked the Justice Department to investigate charges that Morton acted illegally while head of the Colorado Fuel & Iron Company, charges that never resulted in prosecution but which forced Morton to resign quietly on July 1, 1905. Morton saved face by becoming vice chairman of the Moody Commission to reorganize the Navy in 1909. Paul Morton died unexpectedly on January 19, 1911, at the age of 53. Sometimes you just know too much about an organization when you get your tit caught in the wringer.

L.C.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions