May Be A Long Shot But Need A Little Help

PoplarHill

Jan 20, 2014
North Alabama
Detector(s) used
White's MXT
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Can anyone give some info on this "badge"? It is on the stock of an 1847 cut down muzzle loading shotgun. I believe it to be original. It was bought from a grandson of one of the officers in Morgan's Raiders. Here's where the problem arises, it had paperwork and receipts where it was bought from the original family 20 years ago. The paperwork has been lost over the last few years and moving through a divorce but may still turn back up, but at this time I can't say who the grandson was that it was bought from. The story behind the "22" on the badge is that the officer whom carried this gun belonged to the Davies Masonic Lodge No. 22 of Lexington, same as John Hunt Morgan, and was one of his officers in the 2nd Kentucky Cavalry.

I was wondering if anyone within this group may have access to the membership rolls of the Davies Lodge in 1862 so I can narrow down my search.

Thanks in advance!

DSC03619.JPG

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
You might contact the grand secretary of the grand lodge of Kentucky they might have a list of members in the yearly returns. This was common for a list of members to be returned with the yearly report called the yearly returns.

You might check with York Rite bodies in the city as the star is part of the that rite. It is interesting in that this is the second time in recent weeks that I have read about guns decorated with Masonic symbols. Guns were in that era named. Sometimes for wife's or sweethearts so it is not hard to believe that they would have been named after Masonic figures or lodges.

It's worth a shot no pun intended to obtain the information you need.

Senior Deacon

As a post script the star was stamped it was not hand engraved. Not a shop that would be trained in European tradition.

Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
You might contact the grand secretary of the grand lodge of Kentucky they might have a list of members in the yearly returns. This was common for a list of members to be returned with the yearly report called the yearly returns.

You might check with York Rite bodies in the city as the star is part of the that rite. It is interesting in that this is the second time in recent weeks that I have read about guns decorated with Masonic symbols. Guns were in that era named. Sometimes for wife's or sweethearts so it is not hard to believe that they would have been named after Masonic figures or lodges.

It's worth a shot no pun intended to obtain the information you need.

Senior Deacon

As a post script the star was stamped it was not hand engraved. Not a shop that would be trained in European tradition.

Dunno... Morgan's Raiders in Kentucky (CSA) was 2nd Cavalry (1862); COULD be like a Deputy's badge... "Star of David"...? MAYBE! 22nd Cavalry (CSA) was in SW Virginia... :coffee2: Coffee...?

Last edited:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
A follow-up to PoplarHill. Have you found anything more out about the symbol or the lodge connection? Was wondering also if you have dug up any more on Masonic marked firearms of that period? There were several of the Old mountain men who were members of the Masonic lodge. I find Masonic symbols in a lot of the rendezvous that I have attended. Even groups of masons that hold a beaver lodge. A impromptu gathering of masons for socializing. I have been invited to several but never have attended.

S.D.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
A follow-up to PoplarHill. Have you found anything more out about the symbol or the lodge connection? Was wondering also if you have dug up any more on Masonic marked firearms of that period? There were several of the Old mountain men who were members of the Masonic lodge. I find Masonic symbols in a lot of the rendezvous that I have attended. Even groups of masons that hold a beaver lodge. A impromptu gathering of masons for socializing. I have been invited to several but never have attended.

S.D.

Now THAT, would be FUN! I am a old MOUNTAIN MAN from the mountains of the Shenandoah Valley, Virginia!

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Rebel when I go to a rendezvous it is a day trip as my wife has health issues. She is blind and don't like to leave her alone for a long period of time. If she comes with me she wants to get back home to be in familiar surroundings. Can see her point and try to accommodate her as much as possible. Love to dress up as a mountain man and live if only for a few hours as a character of the past. Rough, rugged, carefree, and self sufficient. They in my opinion were the definition of a free American.

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Rebel when I go to a rendezvous it is a day trip as my wife has health issues. She is blind and don't like to leave her alone for a long period of time. If she comes with me she wants to get back home to be in familiar surroundings. Can see her point and try to accommodate her as much as possible. Love to dress up as a mountain man and live if only for a few hours as a character of the past. Rough, rugged, carefree, and self sufficient. They in my opinion were the definition of a free American.

Senior Deacon

YEP! Best to keep her in a familiar environment. When I was in re-enactments (early 70's) for Comp. I, 10th Va. Cav. CSA in the Shenandoah Valley (Stonewall's Troop), I was a Mountain Man Scout. Wore brown leather pants (deer-skin), "Indian" Leggings/Long Boots (also deer-skin), and a bright red flannel shirt. HA! Cold weather "fights" had me wearing a dark brown jacket with fringes; I started out with a brown leather hat (deer-skin), changed over to CSA kepi cap... to show that I was a REBEL... LOL!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread