Hiding objects

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Back in the day when I got into the treasure hunting game I read everything I could. K von M in some of his writing told how most were marked in some way. More recently I came across a article on hiding objects. It was in a copy of a popular outdoorsman magazine. It had a reference to another older article by Horace Kephart. He had written a book on outdoors back at the turn of last century. In it he speaks of hiding objects in the woods. He states that if you hide something mark it so it can be found easily. Don't think that it would have been any different with the K.G.C. It is finding the markers and find the treasure. Just that they were a bit more crafty. We just got to find the marks and not make it more difficult than what it needs to be. Sometimes less is more.

Senior Deacon

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I wish the maps were as simple as that S.D. It seems that finding the pieces of the map is but the beginning of understanding how to read it when the map has been assembled. They will make you learn what they want you to know, and achieve the level of knowledge that they desired.......or the hunter will never find the treasure. The K.G.C. didn't leave their riches to be found by just any ol' heathen that could decipher a simple symbol that led them to another. There is more to be picked up along the way if a hunter plans on succeeding in the quest for K.G.C. treasure, then they had better plan on succeeding in expanding their knowledge way beyond the average bear. S.D.you are right about the hunter making it harder than what it should be sometimes, these guys loved to be simple in their translations!

L.C.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
... The K.G.C. didn't leave their riches to be found by just any ol' heathen that could decipher a simple symbol that led them to another... the hunter making it harder than what it should be sometimes, these guys loved to be simple in their translations!

L.C.
...and that is the situation with several KGC caches in Florida. If one researches the family connections of Benjamin, Yulee, Breckinridge, and John Taylor Wood, it will become obvious why the escape route was through Florida.

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Jefferson Davis was on his way to Florida before he was captured in Georgia, but his brother-in-laws with is baggage wagons did make it to Yulee's Cotton Plantation in Archer, Florida.

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Guess that is a reason that the K.G.C. left so many marks on trees and rocks. Starting points remember what the Old philosophers said. " A great journey starts with the first small steps.". If we could start at the end it would all be so much simpler. But also no fun.

Basically I was pointing out that hidden objects are marked in some way. In the case of the K.G.C. they provided a starting point. The rest was a mystical puzzle. A riddle to be unraveled. More like a spiders web once on the web where one is at is more important than where you have been, or where you are going.

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Well, the Confederate Mint ($$$$$$$$$$$) was in Northern Georgia; MANY Trail Trees in those hills, too! :icon_thumleft:
"Google" Trail Trees of Georgia... :coffee2: Coffee...?

Last edited:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The upper crust of the K.G.C. were money men, not politicians, although the K.G.C. did have plenty of politicians to use as puppets and fall guys like Jefferson Davis to get what they wanted done to maintain a steady stream of nontaxable cash flow below the table that was hidden by a large taxable stream that remained above the table, They had more assets than any other combined organization of that time.

L.C.

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. one has to remember that most of the taxes after the Civil War were on liquor and a VAT (Value Add Tax) and tariffs. No corporate or income taxes. The Big Bugs didn't pay any taxes. Most of what they paid were for there own personal use. These types of taxes are called Ad Valorem. These taxes are in place to this day. I can understand that a lot of the wealth at that time was hidden not only by the Big Bugs but by the little fellow also. If a bank went broke there was no FDIC so all of your funds were lost. The main reason that people didn't trust banks.

This reminds me of a story about a certain banker from Nebraska City that hauled sand bags in to his bank to make the people think he had money in it. Otherwise there might have been a run on the bank.

Senior Deacon

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C. one has to remember that most of the taxes after the Civil War were on liquor and a VAT (Value Add Tax) and tariffs. No corporate or income taxes. The Big Bugs didn't pay any taxes. Most of what they paid were for there own personal use. These types of taxes are called Ad Valorem. These taxes are in place to this day. I can understand that a lot of the wealth at that time was hidden not only by the Big Bugs but by the little fellow also. If a bank went broke there was no FDIC so all of your funds were lost. The main reason that people didn't trust banks.

This reminds me of a story about a certain banker from Nebraska City that hauled sand bags in to his bank to make the people think he had money in it. Otherwise there might have been a run on the bank.

Senior Deacon

I believe that I was trying to state the facts that Jefferson Davis was expendable to the K.G.C. and that the organization had above the table and below the table money flow with the larger flow being above the table. Thanks for explaining the taxes back then S.D. it helps paint a better picture for me. The story you mentioned, if it is the one I am thinking of, involved a rush on the Platte Valley Bank of Nebraska City. They actually picked several members of the group standing outside of the bank to accompany them down to the docks to unload the "GOLD" off of a steamship that just arrived there. It was actually hardware for the store that was in the wooden crates the men carried back to the bank and placed in the safe...reassuring the crowd of how heavy the crates were. That is a master of deception at work in deed S.D., thanks for reminding me of it. Those kind of things had an entertainment value for the men back then. These guys loved to pull the wool over some ones eyes and then talk about it to each other. It gave them a sense of being above the crowd....."controlling the sheep like a flock" They got really really good at it over the next 100 years or so.
L.C.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L.C. know what you were getting at. It was more of a informational post. You got the story right I just remembered bits and pieces of it and didn't stop to get it right.

Very much lliked your comment on the flock of sheep. Is it any surprise that Judah Benjamin was one of the Big Bugs that got away after the war. Maybe like leading a flock of sheep to the slaughter.

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Through the Florida connection.
Judah P Benjamin sent Jefferson Davis $12,000 after Davis was released from Federal custody.
There was a VERY important PORT down in Florida, that CSA REBS escaped from (the Yank blockage); I think WAS at Ocala, Florida or something... gotta look it up. "At the end of "THE ROAD"... The GATE was left OPEN (per prior "arrangements... ie, COPPERHEADS); Brothers Odd Fellows & MASONS... Jewish Cemetery near-by has "CLUES"... 3 CHAIN LINKS.

Last edited:

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Ellenton on the Gulf (Gamble Plantation)
Fort Dallas (Miami) on the Atlantic
Ocala/Silver Springs was the first major stopover during the escape from the Union.
The Oklawaha River, on the west side of the St Johns River, was kept free from Union intervention due to Marion county's "swamp fox", CSA Capt J J Dickinson.
...and of course Benjamin and Yulee's cousins live in Ocala and the strong presence of Odd Fellows and Freemasons with obvious KGC connections.

OP
OP
S

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
Been a long time since I have been in Silver Springs, Florida. That is a beautiful place or was when I visited there. Would like to see it again. Didn't think that it was a historic place. Just a place of beauty and vacation. I could see them leaving from Fort Dallas going first to Havana Cuba then on to Europe. It is about 125 miles from Miami to Havana. Today there is a company that is going to run a Water Taxi/ Ferry to Havana price from $350 down to $100. Guess for $100 you sit in the bilge with the oil and sludge. The trip is a three hour trip one way. The owner just got the licence with the Cuban government and will start shortly. He is talking four trips a day with room for 100 cars.

Ships in the 1865 didn't travel as fast as they do today. I bet it wouldn't take but 6 hours in a good wind to get to Havana. Once there I bet they had a safe house they just couldn't be found.

Senior Deacon

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Ellenton on the Gulf (Gamble Plantation)
Fort Dallas (Miami) on the Atlantic
Ocala/Silver Springs was the first major stopover during the escape from the Union.
The Oklawaha River, on the west side of the St Johns River, was kept free from Union intervention due to Marion county's "swamp fox", CSA Capt J J Dickinson.
...and of course Benjamin and Yulee's cousins live in Ocala and the strong presence of Odd Fellows and Freemasons with obvious KGC connections.

RIGHTO! Java Zone "Bar" is OPEN! YOU get a FREEBEE!

ECS

Banned
Mar 26, 2012
Ocala,Florida
Primary Interest:
Other
Been a long time since I have been in Silver Springs, Florida. That is a beautiful place or was when I visited there. Would like to see it again. Didn't think that it was a historic place... I could see them leaving from Fort Dallas going first to Havana Cuba then on to Europe. It is about 125 miles from Miami to Havana...
Ships in the 1865 didn't travel as fast as they do today. I bet it wouldn't take but 6 hours in a good wind to get to Havana. Once there I bet they had a safe house they just couldn't be found.

Senior Deacon
I covered all of this information on the Florida KGC thread.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/kgc/324466-florida-kgc-le-4.html
Yes, when Breckinridge and Wood reached Cuba, they stayed with the relatives of Lola Sanchez, Confederate spy from Palatka on the St Johns River, she supplied intel to the CSA river blockade runners and CSA Capt J J Dickinson on the Union gunboat movements.
On the CSA treasures/treasury thread there is additional information and photos of old Silver Springs and the riverboats that traveled the Oklawaha.
Also the CSA "cow cavalry" is discussed- the first cattle drives were in Florida.
http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/treasure-legends/443381-csa-treasure-s-treasury-4.html

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
L.C. know what you were getting at. It was more of a informational post. You got the story right I just remembered bits and pieces of it and didn't stop to get it right.

Very much lliked your comment on the flock of sheep. Is it any surprise that Judah Benjamin was one of the Big Bugs that got away after the war. Maybe like leading a flock of sheep to the slaughter.

Senior Deacon

It is hard to hear the tone of my voice on here S.D. LOL! :tongue3:

releventchair

Gold Member
May 9, 2012
Primary Interest:
Other
There was a VERY important PORT down in Florida, that CSA REBS escaped from (the Yank blockage); I think WAS at Ocala, Florida or something... gotta look it up. "At the end of "THE ROAD"... The GATE was left OPEN (per prior "arrangements... ie, COPPERHEADS); Brothers Odd Fellows & MASONS... Jewish Cemetery near-by has "CLUES"... 3 CHAIN LINKS.

Craft hauling cattle away from Florida, and who knows what into Florida were well established.
Too the South was no stranger to lands farther South . Something I never considered or learned in school, that potential for colonies or at least trade partners and allies.
All by ship. No strange method with France, England, China and other countries visited frequently at one time.
Cuba just a hop skip and a jump between meals.
Marion-Dunn Freemason Lodge #19(Ocala) was founded January 10, 1849.
Three links =F.T.L.. http://www.treasurenet.com/forums/kgc/388435-csa-kgc-oak-florida.html
St.Augestine cemetery has Dade pyramids and more..Dada a Virginian ,but I have not noticed a lodge affiliation.
St. Augustine National Cemetery--Civil War Era National Cemeteries: A Discover Our Shared Heritage Travel Itinerary

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Discussions