WHAT CAN YOU TELL ME ABOUT THIS CANNON?

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
Could this be one of the three smooth bore 32 pounder Navel Cannons from Fort Derussy? The misprinted cannon is no. 289 and this one is no.306 and it is a smooth bore 1834 WJW. Can anyone tell me anything about no. 306 cannon's history? Unfortunately all placement records of military artillery were destroyed by the Federal Archives in 1950. ( Now why would they do that???)

Thanks, L.C.:thumbsup:

Attachments

• THE TRAIL 079.JPG
    THE TRAIL 079.JPG
    544.5 KB · Views: 204
Last edited:

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
View attachment 1214604

Could this be one of the three smooth bore 32 pounder Navel Cannons from Fort Derussy? The misprinted cannon is no. 289 and this one is no.306 and it is a smooth bore 1834 WJW. Can anyone tell me anything about no. 306 cannon's history? Unfortunately all placement records of military artillery were destroyed by the Federal Archives in 1950. ( Now why would they do that???)

Fort DeRussy Cannon

Thanks, L.C.:thumbsup:
For Mexican War...?

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
I believe it was for the Mexican War and then it was used in the Civil War by the U.S. and then the Confederates. It has been banded and reworked. I would like to know what Civil War battles it was used in and where it went to and came from after it was forged and after it was retired. Not an easy task to accomplish these days, but I believe it is doable.
L.C.

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread