F. O. Cross & Co., Rustic Monumental Works, 341 Wabash Ave., Chicago, ILL.

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
The K.G.C. employed the best stone carvers and architects to provide their services. Of all of them I have studied over the last few years, this man was the most artistic by far. His skills at rock carving and sculpture were unmatched UNLESS IT WAS A RELATIVE!!. His name is F.O. Cross and he made many monuments for them. He followed a dictated design and most likely had no idea of the actual secret importance of his work. It is interesting that the monuments were carved in Illinois and then shipped by train to Nebraska and other states farther south.
F. O. Cross & Co., Rustic Monumental Works, 341 Wabash Ave., Chicago, ILL.

List of Quarries in Illinois & Quarry Links Photos...

L.C.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
IF THIS DON'T MAKE THE HAIR STAND UP ON YOUR ARMS, NOTHING WILL

Life is short and I will never have time to hunt them all down. Good Luck! to those that are willing and able to be a candidate, I will give you this much and some more soon to come.

Cross persuaded one of his customers, John A. Rowe of Danville, Va., who was also in the monument business, to move to Bedford. Together they established Cross & Rowe Monumental Works, specializing in monuments cut from hard, dark blue Bedford stone that took an excellent polish.

They employed 35 men.

When President Harrison proclaimed Chicago as the site for the World's Colombian Exposition, Cross and Rowe were asked to furnish enough rustic stone carvings for an exhibit.

L.C. Baker

TMNews.com: ferdinand cross master carver: TMNews.com

http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=86176412

http://archiver.rootsweb.ancestry.com/th/read/INDIANA/2003-12/1071277966

Last edited:

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread