PETRIFIED OAK GUNSIGHT TREE USED BY THE ORDER OF AMERICAN KNIGHTS IN 1902

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
I have a question regarding this colorado meeting/connection, has anyone heard of a General Pool possibly spelled Poole? that made a trip with other individuals from S/W Mo in 1855 under the pretense to find Pikes Peak only to return home w/o finding it ? (on a clear day Pikes Peak is visible for a hundred miles or better),anyway I've searched and cannot find any reference to a General Pool or who he was or where he was assigned, any thoughts are appreciated thanks
Looking into this...

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Thanks Rebel, I came across this name in a genealogy report of a family I'm looking into near my site it just struck me as odd

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
OK, 3rd Degree of KGC was 5-7 WEALTHY men in NYC; it was sorta like a "higher degree", ie. "Blue Lodge" - 3rd Degree MASTER MASON "into" Degrees 4-32/33 of the Scottish Rite. "Clue" was 357 or something like that; TR as Police "Commish" of NYC probably read the FILES... ANYWAY, WEALTHY 5-7 Men wanted to "unite" the country via RR, Steel, REAL ROADS (as an example, BEALE WAGON ROAD became HWY Rt. 66, I think). There was a lot of "linking up" via O.A.K.; BUT! KGC ("hard-core REBELS") fought against O.A.K. & the FEDS. THINK! Outlaws (Rebs, etc.) robbing O.A.K. trains... KGC/REBELS Sheriffs looking the "other way"... WILD WEST, it WAS! O.A.K. HAD to be in Colorado!

Some of which was well insured by the same men that robbed or destroyed it. .... you know that insurance fraud drives rates up too! The actual robbers like J.J. got their faces on the wanted posters, but the real money was being made under the table by the O.A.K.

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
There is a blue spruce from Pikes Peak that was brought back by J.S. Morton and planted in the upper left of the heart shaped driveway of Arbor Lodge. It has a hand carved stone ring around it that has been enlarged over the years as the tree grew. I will find a picture of it to post.

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
This is from the geneology report on the family i'm researching, I'm witholding a couple of names for now but research tells me the other 2 parties did not return back to MO --"in 1855, he went with Gen. Pool on the plains, searching for the discovery of Pike’s Peak, but failed to find it and returned home, and in the spring of 1857 he in company with #### ##### and #### ##### and families crossed the plains to California to dig gold, struck a rich lode and became wealthy. He came back to Missouri by ship to New York and then by land to home. He made 3 trips to California between 1857 and 1861."

OP
OP
L.C. BAKER

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
This is from the geneology report on the family i'm researching, I'm witholding a couple of names for now but research tells me the other 2 parties did not return back to MO --"in 1855, he went with Gen. Pool on the plains, searching for the discovery of Pike’s Peak, but failed to find it and returned home, and in the spring of 1857 he in company with #### ##### and #### ##### and families crossed the plains to California to dig gold, struck a rich lode and became wealthy. He came back to Missouri by ship to New York and then by land to home. He made 3 trips to California between 1857 and 1861."

That is strange considering the peak was located in 1806, by 1855 there was practically a path worn to it! In my research, I have ran across more than one individual with the title of Capt. , Col., etc. in their name, but I could find no military background for them. In 1849 and 1850, several parties of gold seekers bound for the California Gold Rush panned small amounts of gold from various streams in the South Platte River valley at the foot of the Rocky Mountains. The Rocky Mountain gold failed to impress or delay men with visions of unlimited wealth in California, and the discoveries were not reported for several years. What followed was known as the Pikes Peak Gold Rush. As far as timeline goes, your story fits it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pike's_Peak_Gold_Rush

L.C.:thumbsup:

senior deacon

Jul 3, 2014
Humboldt, Iowa
Primary Interest:
All Treasure Hunting
L. C. and Mark60 some people were Kentucky colonels no military connection. Honorary titles as was at a earlier time Governor, General, and Captain. Could be Nick name also!! A different time in the 1850's than today. Even barber's were sometimes the town's doctors. Med school was a year long with apprenticeship no college needed. The doctors that were professional trained own the drugstore and most of the time were the undertaker.

Am sure there was a different reason that they didn't find Pike's Peak. Maybe they were looking for the lost city of gold in southern Colorado or northern New Mexico. No need to go all the way to California. Just thinking out loud.

Senior Deacon

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
L.C. & Senior, great insight, much appreciated ever since I read that excerpt I became suspect of it, I forget some titles/nicknames were self derived, and the pikes peak story just don't hold water, that'd be like going to Monterey and not finding the Pacific ocean, anyway this guy became wealthy and I don't believe it came from the traditional means of being a miner, as for me I'll keep digging into this...

tinhorn

Jul 28, 2011
Mark,

Have you checked into Capt. Dave Poole? The ericjames web site has some interesting postwar info on him. Keep in mind that this group used a different name in every town. But they were loyal to the cause.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
Mark,

Have you checked into Capt. Dave Poole? The ericjames web site has some interesting postwar info on him. Keep in mind that this group used a different name in every town. But they were loyal to the cause.
I have also read about David Poole, too... SOMEWHERE.

Rebel - KGC

Gold Member
Jun 15, 2007
FOUND IT! Capt. Francis Marion "Dave" Poole was one of Q's Guerillas in Missouri... MOST of the guerillas were Knights of the Golden Circle! I KNEW that I saw that name, in my R & I about KGC, CSA Rebels/Outlaws, William Clarke Quantrill, etc. Just "google" Capt. Francis Marion "Dave" Poole; PROBABLY named after the "Swamp Fox" of the 1st War of American Independence against the BRITS; Francis Marion, eh...? HH! Good Luck!

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread