Possible KGC Masonic Cemetery Anomolies

Mark60

Oct 22, 2015
S/W MO
Detector(s) used
an old radio shack model
Primary Interest:
Metal Detecting
Here's a question for everyone, The area that I'm working there is a cemetery with a lot of masons buried in it one family plot in particular has some curious irregularities, to start this plot contains a family that lived and died from 1830's to early 1900's the family head has a massive headstone/monument but very simple in design with no decorative carvings except for the masonic compass an square, and a notation that he founded the local masonic lodge, whats odd about this monument is that as you stand in front all the carved writing is center lined down the middle of the monument until you get to the wife her name is misspelled (the last letter first name) and oddly shifted to the right of everything else so it looks like this

John A Doe
DOB------DOD
Wife
Jane A Doe​
DOB------DOD​
sorry her name shows up extremely to the right its really not that drastic I cant seem to get it positioned but yall should get the idea
The son is buried behind an to the right this monument appears ok?, but there is a daughter buried next to him that really seems out of place, first her name I can find no record of her in any local census or other records I do find one reference of a girl with same DOB and Death but then again different name and no official record, there are some younger siblings noted on the side of her monument which by the way is a very nice obelisk approx 7 1/2 feet tall, the siblings do appear in the census records and they were alive same time as her but like I said she doesnt show up ??:icon_scratch: also there is an inscription from a poem on the side at the base that to me is odd on the monument it reads..

The light of her young life went
As sinks behind the hill [down
The glory of a setting star
Clam suddenly and still.

now the actual verse is
The light of her young life went down
As sinks behind the hill
The glory of a setting star
Clear, suddenly and still.
so the word down was moved to the second line an placed behind a bracket "[" which is a spanish symbol for tunnel, and the stone cutter changed the clear to calm,?
the family plot in steps is 19 x 14 which totals 33 and 66, there is a brother of the main guy with a DOD of Dec 25th which i'm told has some importance ?, he is buried outside the plot on a straight line due east from the SE corner after his death his wife remarried a gentleman who was a High Preist with a lodge in N Cemtral AR and she was in the O.E.S not sure if she came of this in the previous marriage or after. and the parents also outside the plot are 45degrees SE from the SE corner, there are 3 children mentioned on the side of the obelisk all 3 look normal in appearance except for one the month of his death is all CAPS "JULY" approx 160 steps to the south of this plot is a tree I can only describe as a pitchfork IMG_2002.JPG any thoughts or ideas on this would be great not sure if any of this ties in with what i'm doing or if this is the work of a crazed drunken stonecutter:laughing7:

L.C. BAKER

Silver Member
Sep 9, 2012
Nebraska City, Nebraska
Primary Interest:
Other
It all sounds very well thought out on your part, but without some evidence or actual symbolism leading you there to look for something or and "eye catcher" of some proven identity as such, you are just in the phases of speculation. That's what it comes down to, so I would suggest that you follow through with what you suspect one thing at a time until you find something solid to go on. Meanwhile you are crossing things off of a list that you try. Sounds like a good place to look around to me, and at least cross it off if it turns out to be nothing. Just my two cents.

L.C.

Top Member Reactions

Users who are viewing this thread